Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by genewang
I have never received a specific reply to any of my concerns, so I am opting to write an open letter to Delta to address some of my and my fellow travelers' concerns.
You're not about to receive a specific reply, just a canned recitation of existing policy with gratuitous flattery at each end.

Being dead last in award inventory avail represents a risk-reward calculation that has been lucrative.

DL has chutzpah.

Enough chutzpah makes them an investor darling.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LegalTender
You're not about to receive a specific reply, just a canned recitation of existing policy with gratuitous flattery at each end.

Being dead last in award inventory avail represents a risk-reward calculation that has been lucrative.

DL has chutzpah.

Enough chutzpah makes them an investor darling.
I have no idea why anyone would invest in an airline no matter how good their short-term results are.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Not just DM!

Originally Posted by genewang
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have tried to express my frustration with Delta's loyalty program through a variety of letters and calls to Delta, but to no avail. I have never received a specific reply to any of my concerns, so I am opting to write an open letter to Delta to address some of my and my fellow travelers' concerns.

As a Diamond / Million Miler, I receive systemwide upgrade certificates that are extremely difficult to redeem. From the customer's perspective, I am extremely frustrated with Delta, as I receive benefits that I find very difficult to redeem. Such a loyalty incentive is truly ineffective, as it serves only to offend customers, especially when they are forced to purchase higher fare class tickets, waitlist for an upgrade and still fly in economy class. In the end, the airline has forced its most loyal customers to pay a higher fare for an economy class ticket. Such policy has certainly lessened my loyalty to Delta. I have also been Diamond with Cathay Pacific, and that airline does its best to encourage loyalty amongst is most important Diamond members. Whilst redemptions are not always available for Silver and Gold level CX members, redemptions are always available for CX Diamond members, with very few blackouts.

This past year on Delta, I have paid a higher fare class and not cleared the waitlist. The result was I paid a higher fare for an economy class seat. I have also tried to redeem Skymiles on Skyteam partners for various family holiday travel, but again, was unable to redeem. It is my hope that DL Diamond members / Million Milers will be able to continue their loyalty to DL, by being allowed to redeem their loyalty benefits in a reasonable manner.

I have heard that the reason that Diamond members do not receive much preference anymore, is that there are quite frankly, too many Diamond members. Delta is now in the business of giving away MQMs or EQMs for credit card purchases. I believe this policy will alienate customers who are truly flying Delta and who need the benefits the most. Without being able to redeem benefits, Diamond membership is meaningless with Delta. I hope Delta remains committed and focused to its primary business.

I, along with several of my colleagues, are at the point where I am actively searching for alternative airlines to travel with. Many of us have recently taken the United Challenge and are now flying with United instead of Delta, after many years of being loyal to Delta.

I am truly disappointed in Delta, and I hope that this email will help Delta revisit its loyalty program to ensure that its most loyal customers remain loyal to Delta.

Sincerely,
Delta Diamond / Million Miler

I have to ask ALL DM fliers..... Is it your understanding that the new "MQD" requirements in 2014 will thin the "DM" herd?

Food for thought, 2 weeks ago I purchased a last minute "Y" class ticket on DL.com from ATL---->LAS leaving the next day(Friday) I have been PM for 8 years. There were 21 of 24 seats open in FC, yet I wasn't "automatically" given the UG. The GA and informed me that all FC seats were gate released the day of the flight. I ask my DM fliers, is this the treatment I am supposed to expect in 2014?

Last edited by Tupolev2006; Feb 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tupolev2006
I have to ask ALL DM fliers..... Is it your understanding that the new "MQD" requirements in 2014 will thin the "DM" herd?

Food for thought, 2 weeks ago I purchased a last minute "Y" class ticket on DL.com from ATL---->LAS leaving the next day(Friday) I have been PM for 8 years. There were 21 of 24 seats open in FC, yet I wasn't "automatically" given the UG. The GA and informed me that all FC seats were gate released the day of the flight. I ask my DM fliers, is this the treatment I am supposed to expect in 2014?
A Friday ATL-LAS run with 21 "open" F seats? The aircraft pushed back with that many empty or the gate display listed 21 unclaimed?

Either way, that's as rare a circumstance as I've seen at Hartsfield in maybe 7 years.

Yeah, I do expect MQD's will thin Medallion ranks. They could have reduced MQM earning on low-rev fares, but this probably works better for DL's long-range financial targets.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
M FARE WARNING: We all know that M fares purchased before March 1 get the 150% MQM bonus, no matter when they are flown. I learned today, however, that if you change your itinerary after that date (even by switching the hours of one segment) a new ticket will be issued and you will then get only the 100% bonus.

This was explained to me by a Delta CSR, who told me that if Delta makes the change without you requesting it, the 150% bonus will remain but if you ask for the change, the reduced MQMs will go into effect.

This, of course, weakens one of the biggest advantages of the M fare -- its flexibility.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:04 pm

Thanks...

A Friday ATL-LAS run with 21 "open" F seats? The aircraft pushed back with that many empty or the gate display listed 21 unclaimed?

Either way, that's as rare a circumstance as I've seen at Hartsfield in maybe 7 years.

Yeah, I do expect MQD's will thin Medallion ranks. They could have reduced MQM earning on low-rev fares, but this probably works better for DL's long-range financial targets.

No, the FC seats cleared the day of the flight, as a PM, according to the Medallion program, the "member" is supposed to get the UG automatically(Y fare) once the ticket was issued(Thursday) but it never happened. What made it worse was I was 4 of 39 with 20 seats available at T-30 and never got the UG! The story didn't end there, but it is too much for this forum. Apparently, the GA has full control of who gets what and when. I am already in contact with DL, the stories that NO one would believe but this is NOT how you treat your customers, whether, DM or once a year fliers!(so I took my "B" seat(in the rear of the aircraft) at $1198.00 and sat comfortably at 6'4" 240lbs for 4 hrs+......at least I got a 50% bonus in MQM's)

The sad part, the same problems will exist with the DM after 2014 regardless of the "MQD" requirement, the problem I see is that the DM's look to the PM and GM as the problem and trust me, the PM and GM have NO influence on the DM experience. I have some suggestions but they may cause an uproar, especially in the DM ranks)....but it would definitely clear the ranks.....
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
No, the FC seats cleared the day of the flight, as a PM, according to the Medallion program, the "member" is supposed to get the UG automatically(Y fare) once the ticket was issued(Thursday) but it never happened. What made it worse was I was 4 of 39 with 20 seats available at T-30 and never got the UG! The story didn't end there, but it is too much for this forum. Apparently, the GA has full control of who gets what and when. I am already in contact with DL, the stories that NO one would believe but this is NOT how you treat your customers, whether, DM or once a year fliers!(so I took my "B" seat(in the rear of the aircraft) at $1198.00 and sat comfortably at 6'4" 240lbs for 4 hrs+......at least I got a 50% bonus in MQM's)

The sad part, the same problems will exist with the DM after 2014 regardless of the "MQD" requirement, the problem I see is that the DM's look to the PM and GM as the problem and trust me, the PM and GM have NO influence on the DM experience. I have some suggestions but they may cause an uproar, especially in the DM ranks)....but it would definitely clear the ranks.....

LOL....your stories get more-outrageous by the day. How do you dream them up? Why don't you send me the first three letters of your last name and the date/flight....I can have it verified if you were indeed skipped over for upgrade. Something tells me I never receive the PM....because it didn't happen.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by Dovster
M FARE WARNING: We all know that M fares purchased before March 1 get the 150% MQM bonus, no matter when they are flown. I learned today, however, that if you change your itinerary after that date (even by switching the hours of one segment) a new ticket will be issued and you will then get only the 100% bonus.

This was explained to me by a Delta CSR, who told me that if Delta makes the change without you requesting it, the 150% bonus will remain but if you ask for the change, the reduced MQMs will go into effect.

This, of course, weakens one of the biggest advantages of the M fare -- its flexibility.
Unbelievable! Thanks for the alert.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:45 pm

Sure.....

Originally Posted by bubbashow
LOL....your stories get more-outrageous by the day. How do you dream them up? Why don't you send me the first three letters of your last name and the date/flight....I can have it verified if you were indeed skipped over for upgrade. Something tells me I never receive the PM....because it didn't happen.
I live in Atlanta, I've been to the HQ's on Virginia Ave....and I'll do one better yet, I'll give you written permission to speak to Mr. "Ned" Walker on my behalf! He is keenly aware of this issue. My 3 letters are GOL and my last 4 are 7743....

Naturally, DELTA airlines statement was, "Be patient, we rolled out a new website"! REALLY? REALLY? REALLY? Please speak to him tomorrow and post my story, YOU have my permission.......Waiting patiently.....maybe you'll get me a full refund since you have direct/indirect access to "privacy" act material(I promise that I grant you the permission to access this information).:-:

Last edited by Tupolev2006; Feb 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: Independent
I am not a DM, but...

Yes, I think it will have a small effect on the DM herd. Not as significant I think as a lot of people believe. Most of the passengers who fly enough to get DM are not likely buying the lower tier fares - that level of flying really is limited to those who HAVE to travel, and probably don't have much choice. Ironically those are probably the least likely to need a FF in the first place - they fly enough they can get that kind of treatment at any airline - they are more interested in the schedules.

You WILL see a large drop in PL level. Most of that is going to go one of two places - either over to US/AA, or to Gold. Which is going to create too many Gold elite so I don't think you are going to see much change overall in upgrades. I don't think Gold will go down as much as it is easier to hit that MQD target with one or two higher-priced fares than it is for PL or DM.

I think the big unknown is going to be how the AA/US merger shapes up, or doesn't happen. If the program looks too much like either the US or conventional programs, you will find a number of higher-level elites switching over to DL (they don't like the US Product) while the DM, Gold, and FO jump to AA. This is hitting DL where they really need to passengers to fill the seats in back who only get occasional upgrades, so in time I bet the number of physically available First Class seats will drop to what other airlines have.

On the other hand, if the program more closely resembles the current AA program, I bet you will find a lot of the PM elites jumping over to AA, as mileage requirements are the same and there will be more overall capacity. This will be a boon for the remaining PM members, but again hit Delta with fewer passengers in the back filling seats. So in the end they have to make up that money somewhere, either higher fares up front and for changeable fares, or by cutting up front services. They have already whittled away too much int he back to find much more savings in coach, and already have to compete too hard for the price-sensitive flyer.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:38 pm

You're claiming 21 UG's cleared an ATL-LAS flight on the day of travel but that, as a PM flying a full Y ticket, you didn't clear.

Care to provide the flight # and date? Should be easy to see what happened.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:40 pm

I think you are correct!

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I am not a DM, but...

Yes, I think it will have a small effect on the DM herd. Not as significant I think as a lot of people believe. Most of the passengers who fly enough to get DM are not likely buying the lower tier fares - that level of flying really is limited to those who HAVE to travel, and probably don't have much choice. Ironically those are probably the least likely to need a FF in the first place - they fly enough they can get that kind of treatment at any airline - they are more interested in the schedules.

You WILL see a large drop in PL level. Most of that is going to go one of two places - either over to US/AA, or to Gold. Which is going to create too many Gold elite so I don't think you are going to see much change overall in upgrades. I don't think Gold will go down as much as it is easier to hit that MQD target with one or two higher-priced fares than it is for PL or DM.

I think the big unknown is going to be how the AA/US merger shapes up, or doesn't happen. If the program looks too much like either the US or conventional programs, you will find a number of higher-level elites switching over to DL (they don't like the US Product) while the DM, Gold, and FO jump to AA. This is hitting DL where they really need to passengers to fill the seats in back who only get occasional upgrades, so in time I bet the number of physically available First Class seats will drop to what other airlines have.

On the other hand, if the program more closely resembles the current AA program, I bet you will find a lot of the PM elites jumping over to AA, as mileage requirements are the same and there will be more overall capacity. This will be a boon for the remaining PM members, but again hit Delta with fewer passengers in the back filling seats. So in the end they have to make up that money somewhere, either higher fares up front and for changeable fares, or by cutting up front services. They have already whittled away too much int he back to find much more savings in coach, and already have to compete too hard for the price-sensitive flyer.

You "hit the nail on the head"! DL has one or two more things it can do to "nail" the GM's/PM's let alone the " price-sensitive fliers in the back of the bus. What I can't understand is that I get the impression this was not well thought out....maybe I am wrong, but for every PM that thinks this is great, I find 6 or 7 other customers who think otherwise.
I will never forget the words of Richard Anderson last June in NYC. He said that the "Silver Medallions" and "Gold Medallions" keep Delta in business.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:50 pm

yeap

You're claiming 21 UG's cleared an ATL-LAS flight on the day of travel but that, as a PM flying a full Y ticket, you didn't clear.

Care to provide the flight # and date? Should be easy to see what happened.
That's right.....There were 21 of 24 open when the ticket was purchased.

T-30 there were 20 of 24 available.

When the GA cleared the flight, I dropped from # 4 to????????

Delta Airlines(Red Coat and GA) acknowledged a "problem".

I walked into DL HQ a week later when I returned.......I presented the facts, they acknowledged a problem. They are handling it. I didn't buy their excuse the day of the flight. That day, the Red Coat said the GA had full control of that flight(my argument was what happened at the time of purchase.....PM desk had no answer),..... Apparently, the problem is more than an "IT" problem....it is a human problem as well.
HARD to believe? Maybe, but it did happen.....I' ll be happy to post the resolve. I am under the assumption that it will be resolved shortly...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:59 pm

That's right.....There were 21 of 24 open when the ticket was purchased.

T-30 there were 20 of 24 available.

When the GA cleared the flight, I dropped from # 4 to????????

Delta Airlines(Red Coat and GA) acknowledged a "problem".

I walked into DL HQ a week later when I returned.......I presented the facts, they acknowledged a problem. They are handling it. I didn't buy their excuse the day of the flight. That day, the Red Coat said the GA had full control of that flight(my argument was what happened at the time of purchase.....PM desk had no answer),..... Apparently, the problem is more than an "IT" problem....it is a human problem as well.
HARD to believe? Maybe, but it did happen.....I' ll be happy to post the resolve. I am under the assumption that it will be resolved shortly...
Flight # and date are a secret?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:17 pm

NO!

Flight # and date are a secret?

FLT # 1703 1/25/13

I'll let you handle it from here. I'll send Ned Walker an e-mail letting him know. Please contact him by e-mail and give me your explanation and resolve. Thanks!:-:

I also tell him that he'll be receiving an e-mail/call from "Bubba" too.....Thankfully, I don't have to write DL.com anymore!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.