Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to dump coffee in the toilet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal to dump coffee in the toilet?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:52 pm

Sick. Who does that? Never drinking coffee again, ever, on flight!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Keep in mind, you don't buy coffee, you rent it. So, it makes sense to bypass the digestive system and cycle the coffee directly where it needs to go.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:59 pm

Bleagh, imagine you drink a cup of coffee onboard, then you get thirsty, so the second round of drinks you have ice water. Then you need to use the bathroom. Barf...must avoid germs!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by aerodrome
Why is pouring waste liquid into the toilet sick? Why would you not drink coffee on a flight ever again?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Controlled laboratory tests have shown that, at most, bacteria can jump about 3.7 cm. And, those were bacteria athletes suspected of doping on steroids.

So, unless the coffee pot actually touched the loo, there should not be a problem.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Keep in mind, you don't buy coffee, you rent it. So, it makes sense to bypass the digestive system and cycle the coffee directly where it needs to go.
It makes even more sense if you merge the current thread content with this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ghlight=coffee

Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Originally Posted by aerodrome
Does that mean if you have the window seat and I have the aisle next to you, you won't disturb me?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:04 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's also standard for FAs to stick an unused bag of ground coffee on the lavatory door hook to improve the smell. AFAIK those ground coffee beans are disposed of rather than later being used to make coffee the beverage for passengers on the flight.
There was a report on the UA board that when one flight ran out of coffee, the FAs brewed the bag from the lavatory.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
There was a report on the UA board that when one flight ran out of coffee, the FAs brewed the bag from the lavatory.
I wonder if it had that eye~opening aroma
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Perhaps DL should switch to these mugs....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0060OYUSI
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Ok, that's just nasty.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:10 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Also why didn't the FA just dump the coffee into the sink? Would have been less controversial than dumping into toilet, and resting the pot on the toilet seat during the dumping, all within passenger view...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:37 pm

Not sure for other aircraft but for the model I work on...we are not to pour anything, even water, in the sink in the forward galley. There is a design flaw where any liquid poured there basically sprays one of the AC packs and could damage it inflight. We are told to dispose of liquids other than water in the toilet as the coffee and soda could corrode the sinks in the lavs. It is common but I always pour the coffee slowly from 3+ feet above the toilet. No FA should ever actually touch the seat with the pot. Please let someone know, if you haven't already. Some of us actually take pride in our work. That is disgusting.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by SamuelS
Ok, that's just nasty.
^^
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Twohitwonder
Not sure for other aircraft but for the model I work on...we are not to pour anything, even water, in the sink in the forward galley. There is a design flaw where any liquid poured there basically sprays one of the AC packs and could damage it inflight.
This is accurate. At my airline, flight attendants are instructed specifically to empty the coffee pots in the toilet for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.