Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to dump coffee in the toilet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal to dump coffee in the toilet?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by SATXFlyer
Not unusual to see the FA do this but not standard procedure according to the maintenance guy I sat next to a couple of months ago; at least on the 757's.
I'm sure the 757's have a drain in the galley. The CRJ's do, but they are some of the slowest draining drains I've ever seen. I know on the 200's there's a sticker "DO NOT POUR COFFEE DOWN DRAIN DURING FLIGHT" above it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Coffee needs to be placed there in the first place. Along with Chik-Fil-A
This is heresy. If DL would give me a spicy chicken sandwich on a flight, I'd never get off a plane for more than 2 hours.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: DL-DM
Yes. I have seen it done often. I have seen it spill and run down the aisle during takeoff, which makes sense to pour it out in the lavatory.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I see this all the time. We have FAs on here frequently, but I'm going to guess that it's actually a standard for hot water (which is really all coffee is) disposal.
+1. or the sink. Where else should it go?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This is just Delta's explosive disposal protocol.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/travel...?iref=obinsite
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Too bad it doesn't help the terrible smell from the bathroom on the MD80s
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:37 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1. or the sink. Where else should it go?
Pouring things other than water down the aircraft sinks can actually block them and cause build ups that may lead to other problems - my understanding si everything else should be disposed off down the loo.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Too bad it doesn't help the terrible smell from the bathroom on the MD80s
What did you think that smell coming from the MD80 lav was?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why does it matter whether that coffee makes a detour through someone's body or not? It's ultimately the same liquid, just of slightly different color (and flavor I've been told).
My understanding is that the OP was concerned that there might be splashback from the toilet bowl back into the coffee pot - thus contaminating the pot when it is reused later in the flight PLUS the fact that the metal coffee pot touched the toilet seat. Two possible sources of contamination.

Doesn't bother me - I'm in the "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" camp where exposure to bacteria is a good thing (unless you have a compromized immune system, of course) - but it sounds like it bothered the OP.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Yes, it is common. However, it is not correct, it helps create "tar" which of course makes the odor worse and increases maintenance costs among other things.

Agree I don't want my coffee pot near a toilet either.

#gross
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: DL EOS...
This sorta belongs in a thread about FA hygiene IMO.

While I'm not a germaphobe I do pay attention to people's hands around me. Particularly, those handling items that may wind up near my face and/or put in my mouth.

I've witnessed the full range from FA's - those that do wash hands with soap and for 20 seconds before beginning service to those that give it a mere rinse and those that merely forget or never wash their hands properly before cart service.

Yeah, I've seen the coffee pot into lav thing too and it made me uneasy. Particularly, if it contacts the toilet seat or parts thereof.

Maybe a gallon bucket with lid for liquid disposals? I'm sure it's a hassle but so is getting sick from seemingly avoidable behavior...............
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ti22
This sorta belongs in a thread about FA hygiene IMO.

While I'm not a germaphobe I do pay attention to people's hands around me. Particularly, those handling items that may wind up near my face and/or put in my mouth.

I've witnessed the full range from FA's - those that do wash hands with soap and for 20 seconds before beginning service to those that give it a mere rinse and those that merely forget or never wash their hands properly before cart service.

Yeah, I've seen the coffee pot into lav thing too and it made me uneasy. Particularly, if it contacts the toilet seat or parts thereof.

Maybe a gallon bucket with lid for liquid disposals? I'm sure it's a hassle but so is getting sick from seemingly avoidable behavior...............
I personally found it disgusting.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Spoke to a friend who was a former FA:

For takeoff and landing all liquids must be secured in a closed container which is secured.
There are drains or containers that coffee, tea and opened soft drinks are pour into; This method is slow and time consuming for a FA.
So many use the faster method of a "quick dump"
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Many of the galley drains drain slowly, or don't drain well at all. This is particularly true on 737 and 757 aircraft.

Dumping it in the sink can discolour the sink (if they're not steel, but the formica type ones) and it can also block the sink pipes if any grounds get in there.

Dumping it in the toilet always made me feel a bit queasy, but there was really often no choice. Pre 9-11 we could at least pull the curtain over from cabin to galley to avoid the perception issue from the cabin, but there's no way to even do that now.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:21 pm

Another reason is the sinks drain directly out of the aircraft. Colored liquids poured down the drain in flight would end up all over the bottom of the aircraft, staining the paint. Only Air France prefers to keep their planes dirty. All others like them clean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.