Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
are you suggesting that ATL - BOM and PDX-SLC-ATL-MSP-AMS is a valid round trip award travel?

if i understand right, as long as BOM-EUROPE or ASIA (land segment) < USA-BOM and ASIA or EUROPE-USA then i should be able to fit it in?
What mtkeller is saying is that you cannot go through PDX from AMS to ATL, it exceeds the allowance over maximum permitted mileage (thanks mtkeller and glad to see you again!). In other words, it's too out of the way. This MPM rule is in addition to the open-jaw rule you posted.

But as I posted last night, coming from NRT is fine (and probably anywhere else in Asia/South Pacific for that matter, as long as you keep it at 4 segements each way).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by michael_v
What mtkeller is saying is that you cannot go through PDX from AMS to ATL, it exceeds the allowance over maximum permitted mileage (thanks mtkeller and glad to see you again!). In other words, it's too out of the way. This MPM rule is in addition to the open-jaw rule you posted.

But as I posted last night, coming from NRT is fine (and probably anywhere else in Asia/South Pacific for that matter, as long as you keep it at 4 segements each way).
For comments on MPM and other award rules, I highly suggest post 1-3 of the non-discussion thread. Also good comments about how to decode why it's pricing higher, esp useful if you are PM/DM and can redeem and look at the routing code.

Otherwise get someone at the DL ST desk to decipher what is going on for you.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:46 pm

thanks for all the help and suggestions. Finally booked the following

PDX-ATL(stop)-BOM(destination)/SIN-NRT-PDX all for 140K and $113 in taxes
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:22 am

Asking for a little advice. This is my first attempt at a complex booking and I want to make sure I'm asking for something possible before I call.

SEA-LAX(AS)-SYD(VA)-CNS(VA)-Open Jaw
MEL-CAN(CZ)-CAN-NRT(CZ)-Stopover
NRT-HNL(KE)-HNL-SEA(AS)

Am I right in thinking that the 4 segment rule would apply for my whole flight home (MEL-SEA)??

I am outside the KE blackout dates and there is availability on all the flights that I can see.

Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Joe758
Asking for a little advice. This is my first attempt at a complex booking and I want to make sure I'm asking for something possible before I call.

SEA-LAX(AS)-SYD(VA)-CNS(VA)-Open Jaw
MEL-CAN(CZ)-CAN-NRT(CZ)-Stopover
NRT-HNL(KE)-HNL-SEA(AS)

Am I right in thinking that the 4 segment rule would apply for my whole flight home (MEL-SEA)??

I am outside the KE blackout dates and there is availability on all the flights that I can see.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, you need 4 segments max for MEL-SEA.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Yes, you need 4 segments max for MEL-SEA.
OK, I called today and got a rep who knew the partners and found segments for me before I fed them to her. Scary, right???

Unfortunately, the flights didn't price right.

Here's what I was trying to do.
SEA-LAX (AS)
LAX-SYD (VA)
SYD-CNS (VA)

MEL-CAN (CZ)
CAN-NRT (CZ)
(3 day Stopover)
NRT-HNL (KE)
HNL-SEA (AS)

All the flights were business class except the feeder SEA-LAX in coach.

The computer was pricing it as 240,000 miles for 3 segments.
I asked why it was pricing more when I had only 1 open jaw and 1 stopover.
She said that adding in the China Southern leg made it a circle trip (A-B,B-C,C-A) so that was why it was pricing out more than the 160,000 for SEA-CNS,NRT-SEA legs I found online.

I don't doubt that she plugged in the flights right. She knew all the partners and even thanked me for knowing so much about the system (KE blackout dates, etc.)Is there something to do if this doesn't price right or am doing something wrong?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OK, I called today and got a rep who knew the partners and found segments for me before I fed them to her. Scary, right???

SEA-LAX (AS)
LAX-SYD (VA)
SYD-CNS (VA)

MEL-CAN (CZ)
CAN-NRT (CZ)
(3 day Stopover)
NRT-HNL (KE)
HNL-SEA (AS)

She said that adding in the China Southern leg made it a circle trip (A-B,B-C,C-A) so that was why it was pricing out more than the 160,000 for SEA-CNS,NRT-SEA legs I found online.

I don't doubt that she plugged in the flights right. She knew all the partners and even thanked me for knowing so much about the system (KE blackout dates, etc.)Is there something to do if this doesn't price right or am doing something wrong?
My guess is the CZ sections that are pricing out as individual legs, that's the bad part about point to point ticketing.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
My guess is the CZ sections that are pricing out as individual legs, that's the bad part about point to point ticketing.
So Would this price each leg at the one way price? So I'd pay 80,000 for SEA-LAX-CNS, 55,000 for MEL-CAN-NRT, and 35,000 NRT-HNL-SEA (coach is all that is available on this segment for part of it anyway).

I'd be ok with paying 170,000. Originally it was 160.000 for all business flights.

Just want to make sure what to expect when calling back.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 3:58 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive

SEA-LAX (AS)
LAX-SYD (VA)
SYD-CNS (VA)

MEL-CAN (CZ)
CAN-NRT (CZ)
(3 day Stopover)
NRT-HNL (KE)
HNL-SEA (AS)

It's likely the SEA-LAX segment on AS. Try removing it and have DL price it then. AS in class of service other than the other flights will often result in additive pricing. Not sure if that is here, but it's suspect. Just have them remove it (from the pricing, not from the PNR) and price without it to find out is that it.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an award booked on SU with longhaul in business but intraeurope in coach. If space in O opens up, will I be able to change it and at what cost without DL status.
I know this was and think still is doable without fees on AA and UA.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
If you have a PM status and above with Delta you will be able to make the change without paying a changing fee. For others I think it is $150
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

So I'd thought I'd bring up this topic as this is the first time I've run into this:

Booked on DL partners with award miles (KE, MU). Both have had schedule changes. Specifically MU had a sched change requiring me to switch airports, fly a connection, and fly on FM (Shanghai Airlines).

What does DL typically do in these circumstances? I know if it's DL metal they are pretty flexible, but with partners is this a take or leave the option that DL.dumb gives you? If you want to change to alternative routing, will DL reroute you on partners regardless of the award availability exists?

Also, I find this rather annoying but I've had many schedule changes recently (fine this happens), but DL has never informed me. Why is this? Shouldn't they be sending me an email or something if this occurs? Why is it that I have to find out only because I logged in to check my itins?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So I'd thought I'd bring up this topic as this is the first time I've run into this:

Booked on DL partners with award miles (KE, MU). Both have had schedule changes. Specifically MU had a sched change requiring me to switch airports, fly a connection, and fly on FM (Shanghai Airlines).

What does DL typically do in these circumstances? I know if it's DL metal they are pretty flexible, but with partners is this a take or leave the option that DL.dumb gives you? If you want to change to alternative routing, will DL reroute you on partners regardless of the award availability exists?

Also, I find this rather annoying but I've had many schedule changes recently (fine this happens), but DL has never informed me. Why is this? Shouldn't they be sending me an email or something if this occurs? Why is it that I have to find out only because I logged in to check my itins?
For non-DL flights DL claims that they are absolved of any responsibility for reaccommodating you. If the non-DL schedule change or cancellation breaks your travel plans, then all that DL will offer is to cancel your ticket and refund or change to alternate available award flights (if any). So, if there are no open award flights, you are out of luck: all that DL will offer you is to cancel and a refund. Now, if you contact the operating airline, you may be able to get them to open up alternate award flight availability for you, but if they are reaccommodating their pax on non-SkyTeam flights (e.g. only flight on a route is cancelled), then you are out of luck, as then no matter what, DL can't book it under award fare classes for SkyTeam and DL partner airlines - which is all what DL will do. In short, cancel for refund or change to alternate available award flights - that's it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Now, if you contact the operating airline, you may be able to get them to open up alternate award flight availability for you, but if they are reaccommodating their pax on non-SkyTeam flights (e.g. only flight on a route is cancelled), then you are out of luck, as then no matter what, DL can't book it under award fare classes for SkyTeam and DL partner airlines - which is all what DL will do. In short, cancel for refund or change to alternate available award flights - that's it.
+1, but you should nevertheless try to get booked on such non-SkyTeam flight using SkyTeam airline's award class space. Indeed it's rather an exception than a rule, but there are multiple non-ST airlines codesharing with ST airlines and flights on their metal is bookable using ST airline's award space. Those airlines are usually independent of an alliance, for example, AZ7178 is actually operated by FB (FB190), but you can get an award seat in economy class on FCO-SOF 2/2/14 flight using SkyMiles. Same for AF1936 CDG-KBP on 1/31/14 - it's operated by PS (PS128), but you can book two award seats in business on that flight using SkyMiles.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
For non-DL flights DL claims that they are absolved of any responsibility for reaccommodating you. If the non-DL schedule change or cancellation breaks your travel plans, then all that DL will offer is to cancel your ticket and refund or change to alternate available award flights (if any). So, if there are no open award flights, you are out of luck: all that DL will offer you is to cancel and a refund. Now, if you contact the operating airline, you may be able to get them to open up alternate award flight availability for you, but if they are reaccommodating their pax on non-SkyTeam flights (e.g. only flight on a route is cancelled), then you are out of luck, as then no matter what, DL can't book it under award fare classes for SkyTeam and DL partner airlines - which is all what DL will do. In short, cancel for refund or change to alternate available award flights - that's it.
Thanks, that is what I would expect from DL. Sadly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.