FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:01 pm
RealHJ

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So I'd thought I'd bring up this topic as this is the first time I've run into this:

Booked on DL partners with award miles (KE, MU). Both have had schedule changes. Specifically MU had a sched change requiring me to switch airports, fly a connection, and fly on FM (Shanghai Airlines).

What does DL typically do in these circumstances? I know if it's DL metal they are pretty flexible, but with partners is this a take or leave the option that DL.dumb gives you? If you want to change to alternative routing, will DL reroute you on partners regardless of the award availability exists?

Also, I find this rather annoying but I've had many schedule changes recently (fine this happens), but DL has never informed me. Why is this? Shouldn't they be sending me an email or something if this occurs? Why is it that I have to find out only because I logged in to check my itins?
For non-DL flights DL claims that they are absolved of any responsibility for reaccommodating you. If the non-DL schedule change or cancellation breaks your travel plans, then all that DL will offer is to cancel your ticket and refund or change to alternate available award flights (if any). So, if there are no open award flights, you are out of luck: all that DL will offer you is to cancel and a refund. Now, if you contact the operating airline, you may be able to get them to open up alternate award flight availability for you, but if they are reaccommodating their pax on non-SkyTeam flights (e.g. only flight on a route is cancelled), then you are out of luck, as then no matter what, DL can't book it under award fare classes for SkyTeam and DL partner airlines - which is all what DL will do. In short, cancel for refund or change to alternate available award flights - that's it.