Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:32 pm

Newbie- Read posts & rules- help needed

Hi - I've spent hours reading and investigating how to use my DL SM on AS from MKE to OGG and I went to the AS site, found my times/legs, went back to DL site to price out and can't get it to come up. I'm assuming I need to call now as you can't see AS on DL site, but I want to make sure I'm thinking this through properly.

Looking to leave in March 2013 and go MKE-MSP (DL), MSP to PDX (DL), PDX to OGG (AS), return OGG to SEA (AS), SEA to MSP (AS) and MSP to MKE (DL). Should that price out to 40,000 SM?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by wiblondie; Dec 4, 2013 at 2:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've been informed that my SV flight, RUH-CAI, has been downgraded due to who knows why. This means that, in addition to not being able to leave the airport, I can't even go in the RUH lounge, for an overnight layover. Caveat emptor, eh?

Anyway, I'd like to complain about this and NOT receive refunded miles for it. Those won't help. What other compensation could I seek?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by wiblondie
Hi - I've spent hours reading and investigating how to use my DL SM on AS from MKE to OGG and I went to the AS site, found my times/legs, went back to DL site to price out and can't get it to come up. I'm assuming I need to call now as you can't see AS on DL site, but I want to make sure I'm thinking this through properly.

Looking to leave in March 2013 and go MKE-MSP (DL), MSP to PDX (DL), PDX to OGG (AS), return OGG to SEA (AS), SEA to MSP (AS) and MSP to MKE (DL). Should that price out to 40,000 SM?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
In coach, for travel between Feb 1 and May 31, it will be 45,000 SM round-trip to Hawaii.

I was not able to find a single date in March with coach availability on alaska's site, but if you found it make sure you do a multi-segment search on delta.com by schedule (segment 1: MKE-MSP, segment 2: MSP-PDX, segment 3: PDX-OGG, and so on until segment 6: MSP-MKE). HTH
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've been informed that my SV flight, RUH-CAI, has been downgraded due to who knows why. This means that, in addition to not being able to leave the airport, I can't even go in the RUH lounge, for an overnight layover. Caveat emptor, eh?

Anyway, I'd like to complain about this and NOT receive refunded miles for it. Those won't help. What other compensation could I seek?
Just to confirm, you were booked in business and were downgraded to economy? I thought these things happened only on Qatar.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by michael_v
Just to confirm, you were booked in business and were downgraded to economy?
Correct.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:26 am

Is this a valid Rounting

ATL-BOM/ICN-SEA or
ATL-BOM/AMS-PDX or
ATL-BOM/NRT-PDX

if all flights have saver award available shouldn't it only cost me 140k?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
Is this a valid Rounting

ATL-BOM/ICN-SEA or
ATL-BOM/AMS-PDX or
ATL-BOM/NRT-PDX

if all flights have saver award available shouldn't it only cost me 140k?
Those would not work because you would have two open jaws and you are only allowed one. But

ATL-BOM/ICN-ATL or
ATL-BOM/AMS-ATL or
ATL-BOM/NRT-ATL

should work and you can also stopover somewhere on the way (SEA or PDX for example, did you get my hint?)

You can try this out online by using the multi-segment search and see how it prices.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 am

Those would not work because you would have two open jaws and you are only allowed one. But

ATL-BOM/ICN-ATL or
ATL-BOM/AMS-ATL or
ATL-BOM/NRT-ATL

should work and you can also stopover somewhere on the way (SEA or PDX for example, did you get my hint?)

You can try this out online by using the multi-segment search and see how it prices.
thanks, right after i posted, i realized when reading other threads (Double Open Jaw is a NO NO).

But i get the Stopover part
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:52 pm

ATL-BOM/ICN-ATL or
ATL-BOM/AMS-ATL or
ATL-BOM/NRT-ATL

so have been at it for a few hours and just wont price it for what should be 140K or less miles. Comes out to asking me for like 400k miles. Any help/hint would appreciate.

This is what i am trying to price out:

ATL-BOM - Mar 31, 14
AMS-PDX - Aug 18, 14
PDX-ATL - Sep 9, 14

I know that saver business award is available from ATL - BOM on Mar 31, 2013, do the AMS-PDX and PDX to ATL legs have to have a saver award available in order to price it at the lowest miles possible?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 3:31 pm

so have been at it for a few hours and just wont price it for what should be 140K or less miles. Comes out to asking me for like 400k miles. Any help/hint would appreciate.

ATL-BOM - Mar 31, 14
AMS-PDX - Aug 18, 14
PDX-ATL - Sep 9, 14

I know that saver business award is available from ATL - BOM on Mar 31, 2013, do the AMS-PDX and PDX to ATL legs have to have a saver award available in order to price it at the lowest miles possible?
All legs have to be saver in order for the whole thing to price as saver. I will give it a try as well and post if I am successful.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 4:15 pm

ATL-BOM - Mar 31, 14
AMS-PDX - Aug 18, 14
PDX-ATL - Sep 9, 14

ATL-LHR-BOM, AMS-PDX, PDX-SLC-ATL I was only able to price at 290k (with everything in low). However I was able to price ATL-LHR-BOM, AMS-MSP-ATL at 120k like it should.

Edit to add: and it seems routing rules through PDX is not the problem. I can get AMS-PDX, PDX-SLC-ATL, ATL-MSP-AMS at 100k.

Last edited by michael_v; Dec 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:18 pm

ATL-LHR-BOM, AMS-PDX, PDX-SLC-ATL I was only able to price at 290k (with everything in low). However I was able to price ATL-LHR-BOM, AMS-MSP-ATL at 120k like it should.

Edit to add: and it seems routing rules through PDX is not the problem. I can get AMS-PDX, PDX-SLC-ATL, ATL-MSP-AMS at 100k.
thanks. I will work on it later tonight, brain was just fried after being on delta.com for hours.

Wonder if it has anything to with it being 2 diff awards (i.e. US-ASIA and EU-US), but i do remember reading somewhere that open jaws can be from 2 diff zones as long as the land portion of the open jaw is less then the other 2 legs.

what dates did u get the ATL-LHR-BOM and AMS-MSP-ATL for 120k? I might even do that last resort and get a one way award ticket to PDX (since to be Mrs. WrldTrvlnIndian will have moved to PDX come May 2014).

Ideally what i am looking for is a one way award to BOM from ATL, however AF has no availability. So if i have to use DL i might as well redeem r/t and line up another vacation somewhere in the future (hence AMS). I could even do ICN or NRT to SEA/PDX
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:15 pm

what dates did u get the ATL-LHR-BOM and AMS-MSP-ATL for 120k? I might even do that last resort and get a one way award ticket to PDX (since to be Mrs. WrldTrvlnIndian will have moved to PDX come May 2014).
ATL-LHR-BOM 4/1/2014 with ATL-LHR on DL 84 or DL 10 and 23ish h layover in LHR then Virgin Atlantic to BOM.
AMS-MSP-ATL 4/20/2014 DL 259 + DL 787

And success on the NRT option:

ATL-LHR-BOM 4/1/2014 as above
NRT-PDX 5/18/2014 DL 642
PDX-LAX-ATL 10/30/2014 DL 4501 + DL 1454
130k, everything in J, except very last segment LAX-ATL in Y
Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

I think routing through PDX is the problem. Your example has PDX as the destination and a stopover in ATL on the return, which should price out fine. AMS-PDX(stop)-ATL is over the 25M level of MPM, while PDX-SLC-ATL-MSP-AMS comes in under the 10M level.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I think routing through PDX is the problem. Your example has PDX as the destination and a stopover in ATL on the return, which should price out fine. AMS-PDX(stop)-ATL is over the 25M level of MPM, while PDX-SLC-ATL-MSP-AMS comes in under the 10M level.
are you suggesting that ATL - BOM and PDX-SLC-ATL-MSP-AMS is a valid round trip award travel?

if i understand right, as long as BOM-EUROPE or ASIA (land segment) < USA-BOM and ASIA or EUROPE-USA then i should be able to fit it in?

Last edited by WrLdTrvLnIndian; Dec 10, 2013 at 8:10 am Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.