Separate cabin, free EC?

Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Separate cabin, free EC?

I'm a GM traveling with the family. I paid for a FC ticket and the rest of the family is in coach. The ticket agent said since I'm in a different cabin the other members traveling with me cannot sit in EC for free or preferred seats. Is this correct?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:47 pm

The Economy Comfort benefit only applies when the elite-status flyer is on the same PNR as his/her travel companions.

Since you're flying on a different fare, you aren't on their PNR, and the benefits don't extend to them. The agent was correct, and upheld the published policy.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Thanks. I'm a newbie to this. Makes sense.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by akonradi
The Economy Comfort benefit only applies when the elite-status flyer is on the same PNR as his/her travel companions.

Since you're flying on a different fare, you aren't on their PNR, and the benefits don't extend to them. The agent was correct, and upheld the published policy.
The rules changed on 27 NOV 2012 regarding this.

Since the OP booked paid F, none of the family is entitled to free/reduced $ EC because the OP is not in EC.

The new rules are:
If on the same PNR - Up to 8 companions receive the same discounted (or free) rate as the Medallion.

If not on the same PNR - This is ONLY APPLICABLE for DM and PM on Int'l segments and GM/PM/DM (and FO w/in 24 hour check-in window) on Domestic segments - *ONE* companion can receive the same discounted (or free) rate that the DM/PM (Int'l) or FO (w/in 24 hour OLCI)/GM/PM/DM (Domestic) receives IF (1) the Medallion is in EC; (2) the companion is on the same segment (flight) as the Medallion; (3) the companion is booked in the same cabin of service.

If you get push back on this, just politely ask the agent to check the EC policy in their system (KM - Knowledge Management) under the 'Companion Seating' section. I pleasantly found this change a few weeks ago when booking a non status colleague on a different PNR into Domestic EC for no charge.

Last edited by LedgeT; Jan 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The purpose of the benefit is to enable you to sit with your traveling companions without giving up your EC privilege. If you're not in EC but in FC, it's not clear why you should be able to give free EC to people you know on the flight when you won't be sitting near them in any case.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by LedgeT
The rules changed on 27 NOV 2012 regarding this.

Since the OP booked paid F, none of the family is entitled to free/reduced $ EC because the OP is not in EC.

The new rules are:
If on the same PNR - Up to 8 companions receive the same discounted (or free) rate as the Medallion.

If not on the same PNR - This is ONLY APPLICABLE for DM and PM on Int'l segments and GM/PM/DM (and FO w/in 24 hour check-in window) on Domestic segments - *ONE* companion can receive the same discounted (or free) rate that the DM/PM (Int'l) or FO (w/in 24 hour OLCI)/GM/PM/DM (Domestic) receives IF (1) the Medallion is in EC; (2) the companion is on the same segment (flight) as the Medallion; (3) the companion is booked in the same cabin of service.

If you get push back on this, just politely ask the agent to check the EC policy in their system (KM - Knowledge Management) under the 'Companion Seating' section. I pleasantly found this change a few weeks ago when booking a non status colleague on a different PNR into Domestic EC for no charge.
I don't think the rules have changed. One companion not on your PNR can be seated in preferred seating, which is not the same as EC. It would be great if it were true, but I was in a EC seat and when I asked to have my sister (no status) seated with me, we were both moved to preferred exit row seats.

I did not find what you are saying in the website but did find the preferred seating allotment. If I missed it, please post the link. Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
For the future, I imagine that a work around would be to book yourself with them in coach and get the seats you want all on one PNR. Then, within 24 hours, call and upgrade just your ticket. They will have to split you off, but I doubt that they will force the others to move once seats have already been assigned.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jamiaub
I'm a GM traveling with the family. I paid for a FC ticket and the rest of the family is in coach. The ticket agent said since I'm in a different cabin the other members traveling with me cannot sit in EC for free or preferred seats. Is this correct?
Really?

To answer your question, I hope it is correct.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flyer girl
I don't think the rules have changed. One companion not on your PNR can be seated in preferred seating, which is not the same as EC. It would be great if it were true, but I was in a EC seat and when I asked to have my sister (no status) seated with me, we were both moved to preferred exit row seats.

I did not find what you are saying in the website but did find the preferred seating allotment. If I missed it, please post the link. Thanks.
No, the change is for EC seats. It was probably easier for the agent to move you to two preferred seats since they do not have to get an override for the EC fee.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by jamiaub
Wow. Just, wow.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Flyer girl

I am traveling with my son in a couple of weeks. Two different PNRs, as I am stopping for work while he continues home.

They happily booked us both in EC when I called to "link" our tickets, without any prompting from me, as I didn't think to ask (do I get banned from FT for that?).

There was a bit of a hold while the agent sorted something out, which I think was her talking to someone to waive/rebate the EC fee for my son. (Edit: I assume this is what LedgeT was referring to by "override")

So my experience is that it is not just preferred seating.This was a simple domestic 2 leg trip.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by orca15
I am traveling with my son in a couple of weeks. Two different PNRs, as I am stopping for work while he continues home.

They happily booked us both in EC when I called to "link" our tickets, without any prompting from me, as I didn't think to ask (do I get banned from FT for that?).

There was a bit of a hold while the agent sorted something out, which I think was her talking to someone to waive/rebate the EC fee for my son. (Edit: I assume this is what LedgeT was referring to by "override")

So my experience is that it is not just preferred seating.This was a simple domestic 2 leg trip.
DM/PM get one companion EC with same suranme
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
DM/PM get one companion EC with same suranme
The name no longer matters. See my post above -- if not on the same PNR then it is valid for one companion no matter the relationship.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
My DW travels sometimes with me TPAC on my SM. I never had problem getting her EC with me when I call in. Agent claim that DM/PM get one companion (spouse/children with same surname) EC/baggage benefit.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tentseller
My DW travels sometimes with me TPAC on my SM. I never had problem getting her EC with me when I call in. Agent claim that DM/PM get one companion (spouse/children with same surname) EC/baggage benefit.
Yes but that is when you are also sitting in EC with her. In this case OP wants to sit in F and leave his family back in Y, thus he will not be exercising his benefit to free EC, thus he can't bring anyone along with him into EC. Nor should he be able to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.