Wiki Posts
Search

Bets. Will Delta screw VAs service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The only J seat on DL I have not tried yet is the new seats on the 744s, but those are similar to the US seats, which is truly a top notch hard product. However, that is a very small subset of DL's long-haul fleet.
They are definitely a small subset, but DL still has as many 744s as US has widebodies in their entire fleet. That isn't a knock on US, but just a reminder that they are an exceedingly tiny carrier without the scale to really compete.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Delta Business Class: (no first) (767-400ER)
flat, 20.5 in width, 76.5 - 81 in pitch
Delta Business Class (no first): (777-200LR)
flat, 20 in in width, 78 in pitch

US Air Business (no first) A330
flat, 25" width, 76" - 80"

American Business 777-300 ER
flat, witdth 26". 75" pitch
American First 777-ER
flat, 36" width, 80 " pitch

Both the US Air Product and the American Business are far better than Delta's and the first class American is equal to many of the Europeans (although not the suites on Singapore which are wonderful)

For comparison of flat bed seats: http://www.airlinequality.com/Experi...lass_seats.htm

Kingfisher Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Oman Air

Qatar Airways

British Airways

Etihad Airways

Swiss

Virgin Atlantic

Jet Airways
Air New Zealand

The World's Best Business Class Airline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cathay Pacific Airways

Qatar Airways

Oman Air

Singapore Airlines

Etihad Airways

Swiss International Air Lines

South African Airways

Virgin Australia

Hainan Airlines

Qantas Airways
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Delta Business Class: (no first) (767-400ER)
flat, 20.5 in width, 76.5 - 81 in pitch
Delta Business Class (no first): (777-200LR)
flat, 20 in in width, 78 in pitch

US Air Business (no first) A330
flat, 25" width, 76" - 80"

American Business 777-300 ER
flat, witdth 26". 75" pitch
American First 777-ER
flat, 36" width, 80 " pitch

Both the US Air Product and the American Business are far better than Delta's and the first class American is equal to many of the Europeans (although not the suites on Singapore which are wonderful)
1) You do realize that US Air's seat is the same as DL's 747 seat?
2) You do realize that AA does not currently have any 77Ws in service?
3) Why are you comparing first class to business class? They are different products at different price points.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:07 pm
k2

Originally Posted by golfingboy
IMO, VS's J product is not that great. The Clubhouses on the other hand is truly a best in class Business class lounge product.
+1. There's not much to screw, VS J is only slightly better than DL.

Food: VS is sub-par like DL, I dislike them both equally. VS portions are smaller (which can be a blessing).

Seat (assuming flatbeds): a very slight edge to VS for two reasons: you're allowed to have the seat in a reclined position through takeoff and landing & a slightly more comfortable sleeping design (2 sided seat with different padding, one side for sitting and one for sleeping). First issue is gimmicky, can't see the value; the second is nice.

Service: not a noticeable difference; FAs were younger on VS; mattress pad and pajamas if you want 'em - besides that it's about the same.

I didn't find VS that special, considering the hype. They were pushing the envelope 10+ yrs ago, but the pack has mostly caught up.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
N my experience (and seat sites), the US is wider

I fly first if available - Delta and Us Air don't offer.

On American, you fly Cathay which most rank first in international

And yes, I use Delta Private Jets via AmEx Cent as often as possible. Regular beds and no TSA make it worth it
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by k2

Food: VS is sub-par like DL, I dislike them both equally. VS portions are smaller (which can be a blessing).
Which recalls a hoary maxim of Aeroflot in the Soviet days; the food in first was the same as in coach, but to make the front cabin a more pleasant experience, they served less of it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by 84fiero
At 49%, not sure they're in a position to "screw" anything up. In any case, no, I don't see any negative impact.
Agreed, with the present (contemplated) corporate ownership configuration, there will be little to no impact.

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Definitely +1. The OP simply fails to understand that DL did NOT "buy" VA; did NOT takeover VA and will NOT manage VA. Perhaps the OP harbors some kind of grudge against DL, but the original post does not serve the OP well and only shows the failure of the OP to understand the transaction that occurred between DL and VA.
As others have pointed out, Virgin Atlantic is VS

A 49% gives them a Hugh (not total) control at the table. Did they buy Singapore Air's 49% or did they buy part is SA and part of Branson's Virgin Group. If they bought part of each, it gives them majority ownership.
Not meaning to be a pain, but I know you are intelligent enough to get this right........"Hugh" is the name of a person, HUGE is a word describing size.

DL is in the process of purchasing Singapore Airline's 49% ownership stake in Virgin Atlantic Airlines (only) for £224 million (approximately $360 million), DL will have no interest in any other parts of Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group. It is interesting to note that what DL is paying $360 million for, SQ paid £600 million (approx $975 million at today's exchange rates, I did not look up the exchange rate for 2000) for in 2000! DL will not have majority ownership or control of VS, that will remain with Richard Branson through his Virgin Group, at least for the near future (and I know of no secret future changes announced which would change that anytime soon). The purchase is not expected to become finalized until the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2013.

Originally Posted by motytrah
Delta will have three of the seven board member seats. I'm sure some LHR slots were negotiated as part of the deal. The Virgin group will maintain control for the foreseeable future. Under EU/UK law DL could never be the controlling share holder.
There was an agreement to cooperate on landing slots at both LHR and GTW, but I do not believe there was any agreement to actually transfer title to those slots. This would actually be difficult, since DL is not actually paying VS anything for the ownership stake, DL is paying Tamasek Holdings, which is the Singapore Sovereign Wealth Fund (meaning the investment fund of the Government of Singapore, which is managed by the wife of the present Prime Minister of Singapore) which owns SQ and the 49% stake of VS.

Originally Posted by sethb
They're planning to buy all of Singapore's 49%. Virgin Group still has total control.

49% is not a majority ever. It can be a plurality.
The phrase "total control" is misleading, and probably not correct, especially if it is true that DL will have three out of seven of the seats on the VS board of directors.

While 49% can not ever be a literal majority, it could very easily be or become operating control share, depending on the ownership of the other 51%. With the present arrangement, which is 51% controlled by Branson's Virgin Group, an operating control share is not the case, but if Virgin Group ever dropped it's share ownership below 50%, 49% could become an operating control share in certain circumstances. Considering that Richard Branson has some publicly known financial challenges, reduction in his shares in VS is entirely possible and conceivable.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not quite that simple. "Merger" (not literally but for pricing strategy) of two smaller competitors to become closer in size to the other carrier/alliance/JV could result in higher or lower prices. One larger player can be more effective competition than two smaller players. The combined player can also advertise more effectively or might even be able to lower costs.
It seems that VS and DL are planning some kind of new Atlantic Alliance, along the lines of what BA and AA had when they first started their Atlantic Alliance back in the mid-1990s. The new VS/DL alliance will definitely include a lot of code shares on both companies metal, and will probably include VS joining SkyTeam fairly soon, as either a full member, or an affiliate member (or whatever the lower class of membership is called, I forget the junior membership name for SkyTeam). Eventually, the new alliance might include more strategic and complicated changes.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
They are definitely a small subset, but DL still has as many 744s as US has widebodies in their entire fleet. That isn't a knock on US, but just a reminder that they are an exceedingly tiny carrier without the scale to really compete.
Considering that the entire fleet of VS is 43 planes at present, and they are considered the 8th largest airline in the UK by pax volume (only 5.6 million pax in 2011), and US fleet is approx. 625 planes (including regional/commuter which US owns) at present, and US is the 5th largest airline in the USA by pax volume (60.8 million in 2011), I would not be describing US as "an exceedingly tiny carrier."

US should probably be called either a midsize carrier, or a small major, even though they are dwarfed by UA, DL, and WN (even though WN fleet size is smaller, WN has no regional and WN pax volume is MUCH larger), US is slightly larger/approximately comparable in fleet size to AA which has approx. 617 planes (including regional/commuter), and almost double pax volume, and US is more than twice as large as B6 and AS in every way.

However, VS could be described as exceedingly tiny, they only have approx. 43 planes, and are MOSTLY limited to flights over and around the Atlantic Basin (flights to only 6 countries not in Atlantic Basin), and as I stated earlier, only 5.6 million in 2011 pax volume.

As far as further comparison between US and their next largest competitor, remember US has been generally profitable in the last few years, and AA is not at all profitable, and has not been for several years, and may not be anytime soon.

Last edited by USirritated; Dec 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm Reason: added Tamasek
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USirritated
Considering that the entire fleet of VS is 43 planes at present, and they are considered the 8th largest airline in the UK by pax volume (only 5.6 million pax in 2011), and US fleet is approx. 625 planes (including regional/commuter which US owns) at present, and US is the 5th largest airline in the USA by pax volume (60.8 million in 2011), I would not be describing US as "an exceedingly tiny carrier."
I was speaking of long-haul volume, where US IS exceedingly tiny, but I should have been more clear.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

While 49% can not ever be a literal majority, it could very easily be or become operating control share, depending on the ownership of the other 51%. With the present arrangement, which is 51% controlled by Branson's Virgin Group, an operating control share is not the case, but if Virgin Group ever dropped it's share ownership below 50%, 49% could become an operating control share in certain circumstances. Considering that Richard Branson has some publicly known financial challenges, reduction in his shares in VS is entirely possible and conceivable.
my point in original.

also, cant type on ipad and it changes words
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
The bigger worry is that DL will learn a few things from VS' frequent flyer program, Flying Club.

It's such poor value that even friends who work for Virgin tell me to avoid it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mikehillwig
I wonder if the OP has flown AF lately. My last CDG-BOS flight had me wishing I had flown CDG-AMS-BOS or CDG-LHR-BOS so the TATL leg would be on DL metal with a DL crew. And this was in J!
Second that - always try to get on DL metal. Just much more comfortable.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmontemb
Second that - always try to get on DL metal. Just much more comfortable.
Have and it does not come close to cathay or ba on AA or air canada for us/
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
If you think the BA Club World herringbone seats, 8 across on a 777, including the need on half of those seats to "clamber over" your neighbour when they have the seat in bed mode (a lot of fun in a darkened cabin when you're half asleep and need to venture to the bathroom)... if you think that's better than DL 777 where it's 4 across, and every seat has direct aisle access... if you think BA has better hardware then respectfully, I think you're nuts.

As for AwfulAirlines, I'm guessing you're comparing F to J again instead of apples to apples. I know you can't be referring to AA's sub-standard J class offering.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Mr. Beat, as much as you seem to hate DL, or at least have a very strong "meh" feeling about DL, why in the heck do you fly DL so much, and why do you care how DL stacks up against the other airlines which seem so much more preferable, or almost precious to you?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:44 pm

Does anyone else think that this is one of the weirdest threads, started on mistaken information, though oddly interesting and especially amusing, in recent times?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.