Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BOS-DCA...Train or DL? What would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DCA...Train or DL? What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you've always just flown over this area, I would try to do the train at least once in the daytime for the scenery, given that downtown to downtown is so much more convenient than dealing with airports. In your comparisons, don't forget the cost of airport transportation and parking.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you've always just flown over this area, I would try to do the train at least once in the daytime for the scenery, given that downtown to downtown is so much more convenient than dealing with airports. In your comparisons, don't forget the cost of airport transportation and parking.
Look here - covered a few weeks ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...e-bos-dca.html

I do this route every week. Logistically, DCA is no more inconvenient than Union station. You're looking at a 10-20 minute drive to most downtown hotels, and no more than a $25 dollar cab or Uber ride. Or...just pay 2 bucks and take the Metro.

Not to mention the 7 hour train ride. Scenic or not (which most of it is not), the train makes for a far earlier morning than you would ever need to fly - especially to arrive hours later than the flight.

I'd still connect in LGA over the train any day. Do yourself a favor and just book B6 or US. If you book US, sit in the last row and deplane out the back. If you need F, there are almost always $75 upgrades available for the less popular shuttle times.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by flying_q
Not to mention the 7 hour train ride. Scenic or not (which most of it is not), the train makes for a far earlier morning than you would ever need to fly - especially to arrive hours later than the flight.
Assuming OP is not trying to make a time sensitive appointment, and given that OP lives near Union Station, OP could take the 9am Acela (arriving no later than, say, 8:55) and arrive Boston at 3:46pm. While obviously flying is faster (assuming no WX), 9am isn't particularly early. And if it is, there's an 11am that arrives in time for dinner.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by BearX220
A guy like you should take the Megabus down the Jersey Turnpike, just for karmic balance.
Ha! Yes. I've done that, actually. And I've even endured more Greyhound than I care to remember as well...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Assuming OP is not trying to make a time sensitive appointment, and given that OP lives near Union Station, OP could take the 9am Acela (arriving no later than, say, 8:55) and arrive Boston at 3:46pm. While obviously flying is faster (assuming no WX), 9am isn't particularly early. And if it is, there's an 11am that arrives in time for dinner.
Don't disagree.

Assuming they live near Union station, they can also take a 2pm flight, arriving DCA no earlier than, say, 120p. That will get them to Boston before 3:46p. They will be equally as close to anything in the city given S. Station and Logan are just a tunnel apart.

To each there own. I'd rather be at home between 830am and 1pm...not on a train that will likely cost twice as much as the flight.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
[QUOTE=koreanair720;19839318And in Amtrak's favor, I live quite close to Union Station in DC so that's a consideration.

In other words: What would you do?[/QUOTE]

Other factors to consider are weather and where you have to be in Boston, particularly if it's near the Back Bay or South Stations on on the T.

Bob H
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Living in Boston for 5 years going to DC twice a year during that time I have done that trip via both train and air many times. If the question is Air (Delta or B6) vs Amtrak regional, Air every single time. Air (F or Y) vs Acela is a toss up. Acela is a more comfortable ride than even FC, the WiFi is better and there is power. No drink service, but the snack car isn't too expensive and you can also bring your own. The train means no TSA, and no checked luggage because you want to bring liquids with you, however more of your day is eaten up by travel time. I also find that I can work on the train given the better wifi and the ability to use my cell (I am a security expert doubling as a sysadmin when needed, so none of my work is offline) where as in flight (even with GoGo) I really can't work so I am offline from gate to gate (which could be only 2 hours but in a crisis 2 hours is way too long).

So if it were me, and I was coming home from a trip, I would be up in the air, maximizing my time at the A club in BOS and C club in LGA getting loaded on free G&Ts giving myself the flight home to sober up, where as if I were going from vacation to an assignment I would take the train so I could spend my travel day working and hopefully minimizing on site time.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by bennos
If you like trains and have the day to kill, take the Acela. It's a pleasant ride, scenic at points, has wifi and power the whole way, and you can always get up and stroll to the cafe car. IMO, FC is a waste of money on the Acela, and the 7+ hours on the Regional doesn't seem like fun.
^ this

Did it once on the Acela and it was enjoyable.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
I find FC on the NE Regional much more spacious and comfortable than standard (business) on the Acela. The ride is a bit longer, but more comfortable and less crowded. wifi on both, and scenery is the same. Price is the same (depends on time of day).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
If you decide to fly, JetBlue or the USAir Shuttle (which flies 737's and Airbus 319's on the route) are way better than Delta.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by romadaro
If you decide to fly, JetBlue or the USAir Shuttle (which flies 737's and Airbus 319's on the route) are way better than Delta.
USAir only flies the A319/A320 on this route. They aren't much different than DL.

DL doesn't fly the A319 on the shuttle anymore - only the E75 which is, IMO, far superior than the US A319.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Originally Posted by flying_q
USAir only flies the A319/A320 on this route. They aren't much different than DL.

DL doesn't fly the A319 on the shuttle anymore - only the E75 which is, IMO, far superior than the US A319.
IMO the E70/75 Y product is superior to almost anything Mainline short of maybe a 738/9 with AVOD.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
So the consensus on what I should do is clear: I should take the Acela, the Amtrak regional, the DL flights, Jetblue, US Airways, or Megabus.

Glad we cleared that up

But seriously folks...thanks to all who chimed in. I think I'll end up taking the train as I've got most of that Sunday to kill, and I don't need the mqms...Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720
So the consensus on what I should do is clear: I should take the Acela, the Amtrak regional, the DL flights, Jetblue, US Airways, or Megabus.

Glad we cleared that up

But seriously folks...thanks to all who chimed in. I think I'll end up taking the train as I've got most of that Sunday to kill, and I don't need the mqms...Thanks!
^ Remember to buy your ticket online days before you leave. The price doubles if you wait until you get to the station (as I learned from experience).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.