Wiki Posts
Search

DL V seat avails for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold

sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I am curious how Delta determines V class availability and how they manage it up to the upgrade windows.

Do they assign them at any specific point? Then do they stay constant until the upgrade windows or do they fluctuate based on paid demand or some other factor? Once the flight is released to airport control, does V class avail mean anything, or is there a separate gate controlled system?

I am curious because I am currently sitting on a Y fare as a FO but no V avail for a flight 2 weeks away so still under upgrade requested. Curious if I could get upgraded before upgrade windows for flight showing 0 V seat avail--but more curious how the whole system works if anyone has the answer.

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

DL's process for doing this is valuable proprietary information and probably depends at least in part on human judgment calls. As a rule, if they think they can sell a seat they're not going to give it away.

The gate UG list retains the priority order that existed prior to gate control, so SWUs (but NOT waitlisted mileage UGs) and full Y fares will still be ahead of others.

A full Y fare even for an FO has pretty high priority so unless you are on a very tough route/time/day your chances are decent.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Wonderboynyc
sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I am curious how Delta determines V class availability and how they manage it up to the upgrade windows.

Do they assign them at any specific point? Then do they stay constant until the upgrade windows or do they fluctuate based on paid demand or some other factor? Once the flight is released to airport control, does V class avail mean anything, or is there a separate gate controlled system?

I am curious because I am currently sitting on a Y fare as a FO but no V avail for a flight 2 weeks away so still under upgrade requested. Curious if I could get upgraded before upgrade windows for flight showing 0 V seat avail--but more curious how the whole system works if anyone has the answer.

Thanks.
V can become >0 anytime before upgrade windows. In which case, Medallions on Y fare with upgrade request will get the upgrade. For all other fares, one has to wait till his upgrade window. Now, it's possible that V will remain = 0 all the way to upgrade window or even the gate.
I've had in the past Y fares upgraded immediately at booking, other at random time between booking and upgrade window and some at the gate.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Search the board for First Class Monetization (FCM). It will explain quite a bit about how Delta manages V inventory on certain routes.

My experience says if it's V=0 now, it will be that way until close to the departure date.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Search the board for First Class Monetization (FCM). It will explain quite a bit about how Delta manages V inventory on certain routes.

My experience says if it's V=0 now, it will be that way until close to the departure date.
I've seen V > 0 until right before the DM window opens, when DL sets it to D = 0. I've also gotten upgrades between the DM window and the gate, which indicates that DL has released some V inventory during that period.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
If F is mostly full and V=0, it will probably stay that way until the gate clears upgrades. If there is plenty of space and V=0, it means DL is holding back upgrades to try to sell more F, or (if Y is fully booked) to allow them to overbook Y. In this case, DL may very well release some V inventory later on and upgrades could happen at random times within the window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.