Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta credit card and free checked bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

I recently moved back to Atlanta and will now expect to fly on Delta quite a bit more than I used to, although realistically only once or twice per year since I normally fly Southwest.

I have a round-trip flight coming up in January with me, my wife, and our baby, and the associated supplies that are related to that. At a minimum we would need to check two bags, and possibly a car seat and/or a stroller. I'm new to being a parent, but it looks like I can check in a car seat and a stroller for free? In that case, it looks like two checked bags (one for each adult) would cost be $100 round-trip?

So, on that note, I was considering getting the Gold Delta Skymiles card which would save me this $100 and give me 30,000 bonus miles, but then cost me $95/year after the first year. I don't expect I would use the card for much except for future Delta flights though (I have the CapitalOne Venture card which I much prefer the rewards of), so I may end up canceling it if I don't want to pay the $95/year.

A few questions from a newbie:
1) Even though I already bought my tickets on the Delta flight on another credit card, would having the Gold Delta Skymiles card still qualify me for free first checked bag? I'm not sure how that works.

2) Am I correct that a stroller and car seat would be free?

3) Would my second bag per adult still be $35 even when the first bag is free?

4) Any other advice for or against getting this card primarily just for the baggage fee savings?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM
I can only help with Q1:

Yes, just having the card (which is tied to your skymiles account) is sufficient. When you log in to the delta skymiles account on delta.com your account should indicate skymiles AmEx which is how they track benefits such as first bag free. For the first year free, with ~30,000 miles (worth $300 at it's worst case) you can keep the card for 4 years without actually "paying" for it. And the checked bag waivers is enough to generally make the card worth it on top of that.

According to the delta website stroller and car seat are free (http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html). One "tactic" would be to use a large well stuffed rollaboard that you specifically plan to gate check, plus a good sized diaper bag for the kiddo's stuff. I don't advocate this, but I see people who do a rollaboard, a diaper bag, and a small personal carry on. As long as the rollaboard is gate checked it seems like a manageable load (assuming you're used to juggling the munchkin already).
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
I recently moved back to Atlanta and will now expect to fly on Delta quite a bit more than I used to, although realistically only once or twice per year since I normally fly Southwest.

I have a round-trip flight coming up in January with me, my wife, and our baby, and the associated supplies that are related to that. At a minimum we would need to check two bags, and possibly a car seat and/or a stroller. I'm new to being a parent, but it looks like I can check in a car seat and a stroller for free? In that case, it looks like two checked bags (one for each adult) would cost be $100 round-trip?

So, on that note, I was considering getting the Gold Delta Skymiles card which would save me this $100 and give me 30,000 bonus miles, but then cost me $95/year after the first year. I don't expect I would use the card for much except for future Delta flights though (I have the CapitalOne Venture card which I much prefer the rewards of), so I may end up canceling it if I don't want to pay the $95/year.

1) Even though I already bought my tickets on the Delta flight on another credit card, would having the Gold Delta Skymiles card still qualify me for free first checked bag? I'm not sure how that works.

Yes. All you need to do is be a cardmember at the time of check-in.

Yes, any non-luggage baby items that need to be checked such as strollers and car seats are free. If the baby has a ticket, the baby can also check a bag free due to your AMEX. Additionally, baby items such as a diaper bag, car seat, etc brought on board do not count against your carry-on allowance.

Yes.

4) Any other advice for or against getting this card primarily just for the baggage fee savings?

One round trip per year with your family and the card has paid its own annual fee. There are other benefits with the card such as boarding earlier than you normally would, though this will only make a difference when not traveling with your family because with a baby under 2 you can board early anyway. (But disregard their message about "priority" boarding, it's not as priority as it seems as it is still after first class and diamond, platinum and gold medallions. Boarding with a baby is earlier.) You want to board as early as possible especially with a baby because you'll be lugging a lot of stuff along with you and you want to get overhead bin space and settle into your seats which inevitably takes longer with a baby (as does everything).

Oh and as a fellow parent, one piece of advice: NEVER change your baby's diaper at your seat or anywhere else but in the lavatory. Other passengers HATE this, and rightfully so. Be considerate and you'll get more cooperation out of your fellow passengers when you inevitably have to ask them to get up so you can take your baby to the lav for the 10th time.

And another piece of advice: never depend on the airline for anything such as food drink or supplies for the baby. Always bring a more food, clothes, toys and other supplies than you think you'll need.

Thanks!

Enjoy flying DL and most importantly enjoy your baby!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM
@HK are you sure the diaper bag is free? I was about to post the same in my reply, but when I checked the DL website I didn't see that (I don't travel w/a baby though).

I know friends on United were allowed an extra carry on because of the in-lap infant, but I didn't see similar notation on DL.com.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Correct. Just having your Skymiles number associated with your Delta amex is enough to get the perks, doesn't matter how you bough the tickets.

Correct. Delta Policy is here http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html

Yes your second bag is $35, HOWEVER you get 1 free bag for up to 9 people on your PNR. So if you and your wife are on the same PNR you each get 1 free bag when you check in. If you had 2 bags and your wife has 2 bags, the first is free for each, and you pay for the second.

If you are just trying to get around bag fees the gold is fine. If you plan to put a lot of spend on the card for the RDMs and then the $15k MQM bonus you might consider the platinum card. The plat card also comes with full companion cert which is a free coach ticket for your companion. Now the card has a $150 annual, however if you are using that companion cert and the miles bonus, the extra $50 over the gold is absolutely worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Yes, Delta gets kudos for this, hopefullly they won't change that program-- unlike United, where they only give you the perks of the card if you actually pay for the ticket with the card, Delta goes by your Skymiles # and just having the card is enough, even for an award ticket in Y. A hash mark in the thumbs up column for Delta on this one!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'm not sure in your case; when I check 3 bags (with 2 free), the third is $25.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
I'm not sure in your case; when I check 3 bags (with 2 free), the third is $25.
That is because of your DM status. Cardmembers only get one bag.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CTJoyce
That is because of your DM status. Cardmembers only get one bag.
I know that; the point was that the first paid bag was $25, while the third bag (if I didn't have two free ones) would have been a lot more.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jb008
@HK are you sure the diaper bag is free? I was about to post the same in my reply, but when I checked the DL website I didn't see that (I don't travel w/a baby though).

I know friends on United were allowed an extra carry on because of the in-lap infant, but I didn't see similar notation on DL.com.
It's been my experience that carry-ons required for the infant don't count against the parent's carry-on allowance. I have been specifically told this by DL personnel. However, since my itineraries are all international, my infants always travel with a ticket which may make a difference. I am also a PM and it's possible agents cut me a bit more slack than someone with no status.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:30 pm

Does anyone know when the free checked bag shows up ?

I bought our tickets in June using my Delta Amex and my receipt says both first bags are $25.

I still have the Amex card open and I'm going to bring it with me to show them when I check my bag but figured I would see something stating I have a free checked bag for both of us.

Does the free bag not show up until the boarding pass is printed with Delta ?

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Does anyone know when the free checked bag shows up ?

I bought our tickets in June using my Delta Amex and my receipt says both first bags are $25.

I still have the Amex card open and I'm going to bring it with me to show them when I check my bag but figured I would see something stating I have a free checked bag for both of us.

Does the free bag not show up until the boarding pass is printed with Delta ?

Thanks
When you check in online and add the bags you'll be checking per passenger, it should say free or $0. If that doesn't happen - I wouldn't check in online and do as you say by bringing your card to the airport to check in. Is your SM# appropriately linked?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
When you check in online and add the bags you'll be checking per passenger, it should say free or $0. If that doesn't happen - I wouldn't check in online and do as you say by bringing your card to the airport to check in. Is your SM# appropriately linked?
Thanks, My SM # is linked as the flight shows up when I log into Delta and my SM # is on the ticket receipt although parts are x'ed out.

I see this message below baggage fees when I view my receipt. Since I paid with the Delta card they must wait and make sure you still have the card when you actually fly.

"Thank you for being a valued customer. The fees below are based on your original ticket purchase information. If you qualify for free or discounted checked baggage, this will be taken into account when you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.