FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta credit card and free checked bags?
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:22 am
kirkbauer

Delta credit card and free checked bags?

I recently moved back to Atlanta and will now expect to fly on Delta quite a bit more than I used to, although realistically only once or twice per year since I normally fly Southwest.

I have a round-trip flight coming up in January with me, my wife, and our baby, and the associated supplies that are related to that. At a minimum we would need to check two bags, and possibly a car seat and/or a stroller. I'm new to being a parent, but it looks like I can check in a car seat and a stroller for free? In that case, it looks like two checked bags (one for each adult) would cost be $100 round-trip?

So, on that note, I was considering getting the Gold Delta Skymiles card which would save me this $100 and give me 30,000 bonus miles, but then cost me $95/year after the first year. I don't expect I would use the card for much except for future Delta flights though (I have the CapitalOne Venture card which I much prefer the rewards of), so I may end up canceling it if I don't want to pay the $95/year.

A few questions from a newbie:
1) Even though I already bought my tickets on the Delta flight on another credit card, would having the Gold Delta Skymiles card still qualify me for free first checked bag? I'm not sure how that works.

2) Am I correct that a stroller and car seat would be free?

3) Would my second bag per adult still be $35 even when the first bag is free?

4) Any other advice for or against getting this card primarily just for the baggage fee savings?

Thanks!