Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is the 777 ATL-LAX a tough upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by amolkold
There are some Y seats on the 763 that I'd take over F.
I agree! It is not one of the most comfortable F cabins.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta Unobtanium, HHonors Diamond, Total Rewards Seven Stars
I took this flight back and forth about 3 weeks ago with the thought process of a bigger cabin being the better option for the upgrade. I went 0-for-2 as Gold. The list will have 40+ names on it. You've got a lot of international travelers as the aircraft goes Tokyo-LA-ATL-Johannesburg. The coach cabin is a wider seat than most and you've got cool AV options because its actually a long haul INTL plane, not complimentary on this domestic route however... You won't have WiFi on this flight also. Cool to take the triple seven, but upgrading for me as Gold didn't work out and I missed out on the lie flats...
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
I flew this on 12/1. I was a PM and used a SWU on a K fare. I was #1 out of 40 for 7 seats. I had them waitlist my Z upgrade and remove the complementary medallion upgrade on the K fare.

The mobile app had trouble checking me in but I assumed everything was fine since it was showing me at #1. About 45 minutes before boarding I was removed from the upgrade list and it said that I must be checked in for the flight to view the upgrade list.

I went up to the counter to double check and they handed me my Z ticket.

I'm pretty sure I walked by some people with DM tags when they called first class. Which I found rather amusing since they were camping out and blocking the Sky Priority lane and the gate agent was screaming "First Class Only" over and over.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. The seats are great and entertainment system is the best one I have seen on Delta. I think you just get a taste of the seats on a 4 hour flight and would really appreciate them on those long flights they were designed for.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Skystreak
I flew this on 12/1. I was a PM and used a SWU on a K fare. I was #1 out of 40 for 7 seats. I had them waitlist my Z upgrade and remove the complementary medallion upgrade on the K fare.

The mobile app had trouble checking me in but I assumed everything was fine since it was showing me at #1. About 45 minutes before boarding I was removed from the upgrade list and it said that I must be checked in for the flight to view the upgrade list.

I went up to the counter to double check and they handed me my Z ticket.

I'm pretty sure I walked by some people with DM tags when they called first class. Which I found rather amusing since they were camping out and blocking the Sky Priority lane and the gate agent was screaming "First Class Only" over and over.

Overall it was a pleasant experience. The seats are great and entertainment system is the best one I have seen on Delta. I think you just get a taste of the seats on a 4 hour flight and would really appreciate them on those long flights they were designed for.
I don't think they remove you from comp UG list, they just put you in the Z list.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I don't think they remove you from comp UG list, they just put you in the Z list.
At the gate, it's all one list.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Just wanted to ask a question relating to this:

For a GM flying this route on a Sunday night (DL 2055) on a Y-fare, is this still a tough upgrade route?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
Just wanted to ask a question relating to this:

For a GM flying this route on a Sunday night (DL 2055) on a Y-fare, is this still a tough upgrade route?
Sunday night, very much so. That being said, with a Y fare you have a good shot!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:26 pm

All LAX-ATL, ATL-LAX are tough upgrades regardless of aircraft type.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Nearly impossible for a PM. So many people buy -UP fares and others (like me tomorrow) buy the least expensive -UP fare and SDC into the flat bed route. I'm SEA-ATL in the AM, but am booked into F on the redeye. I can SDC at 11:55 PST, but there is currently no availability on the B76W flight. I'll SDC to the 9am flight and hopefully my SDS for the other will go through.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
GM on Y fare should trump any DM/PM on non-Y fare, so I would expect pretty good chances. But, if you bought full Y because of low fare availability, expect some PM/DM's who might have done the same.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
All depends on the day of the week. I flew LAX-ATL on the 777 in F on an Award Ticket on a Friday morning. I'm sure I was taking away some Diamond's or Plat's upgrade because the F cabin was full and IIRC, the upgrade list was quite long. However, if you're flying out on a Tuesday or Saturday, maybe you have a chance.

It's odd how much of a difference the route makes. Just last month I flew DTW-LAX on a Friday evening on the 777, and cleared 2 days in advance as an FO. F Cabin was only 50% full. Since I've only done that once I have no idea if that was an anomaly though.
A 777 on DTW-LAX is an anomaly.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Is it possible to buy UP fare for just a domestic segment on an int'l ticket?

It's a W-fare ticket to Australia that books into Y-fare for domestic segments:
LGA-ATL (Y)
ATL-LAX (Y)
LAX-SYD (W)
SYD-LAX (W)
LAX-JFK (Y)

But in any case, certainly trying for my luck with upgrade with miles for LAX-JFK route for 5k RDM
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Ledfish
A 777 on DTW-LAX is an anomaly.
It wasn't an anomaly in the fall of 2012 when I made that post. Not sure when the 777 was taken off DTW-LAX. I only flew the route once as part of a mileage run to hit GM that year.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
It wasn't an anomaly in the fall of 2012 when I made that post. Not sure when the 777 was taken off DTW-LAX. I only flew the route once as part of a mileage run to hit GM that year.
Nor, is it an anomaly at the present time.

This thread is being kept up to date:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...operation.html

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.