Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do FO ever get upgraded prior to 1-day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do FO ever get upgraded prior to 1-day?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by tristar76
Ahh the life of an FO on the battlefield. Nothing like being bumped from 3 in to 6 out 30 minutes before the flight. Glorious.
Wow only from 3 to 6. That's lucky! It's not uncommon to have an UG list in the 30-40 range on ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC flights.

While the rules are DM/PM T-5, GM T-3, FO T-1, they usually clear DM/PM T-6, GM T-4, FO T-2. They clear around 5pm EST. As others have said, upgrades only clear in advance where there is V inventory and in my experience this year V inventory quickly disappears after the DM/PM window. This doesn't mean people won't get gate upgrades, Delta is just holding back seats in hopes of selling them.

As you mentioned, the 757 is one of the best AC for getting upgrades. Avoid the A319/A320 because they have one of the smallest first cabins. Almost the size of an RJ!
The domestic 767 has 30 F seats, but they are somewhat cramped.

If you fly enough, Expert Flyer is your friend. It will show you inventory and if you keep an eye on how many preferred and Econ Comfort seats are filled you can usually gauge how many medallions are on a flight. You can't tell levels, but you can at least get an idea of competition for upgrades.

On other kicker for FO's. If a GM/PM or DM does a SDC to your flight, they can bump you down the UG list. On my only gate UG of the year I did this on a ATL-DCA flight and swiped the one and only UG. Sorry folks.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
It was early 2010 when I was last FO but both me and my wife got an U/G 3days out ATL-JFK!!!! then on to SNN
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eturowski
The window for FOs technically opens at around 6:00 p.m. EST two days before departure. If I am upgraded, it is usually around this time (I have only gotten 2 BFUGs, ever).

Yup. And they're probably not going to open it for FOs, either... they may release a few V spots, but they will almost certainly go to higher medallions. Then... to the battlefield and the wonders of SDC bumps down the list!
It's 5 pm: close of business in ATL and the sweep tends to take about a half hour to complete.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:45 am
Suspended

Probably Not

Originally Posted by tristar76
I know DL does PM sweeps at 5 days, GM at 3, and FO at 1.

I'm presently an FO (will be GM at the end of the month) with a Sunday flight. There's a ton of F open on this flight. Do FO ever clear prior to 1 day?
Probably not, even on a Y fare. They will want everyone to check in first, and sell any F's that are open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.