Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do FO ever get upgraded prior to 1-day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I don't travel anymore

I know DL does PM sweeps at 5 days, GM at 3, and FO at 1.

I'm presently an FO (will be GM at the end of the month) with a Sunday flight. There's a ton of F open on this flight. Do FO ever clear prior to 1 day?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Yes, if you're on a Y fare.

(All kidding aside, I'll check V inventory on EF if you post the flight into - to/from, flight#.)
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Is there V open? If so, you should clear on Friday around 5.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

0 V open
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes, as FO I've had late-day CRJ hops CONFIRMED 2 days ahead. If there are not many Medallions and F is open but coach is filling, I think the sweep pushes you up to clear a coach space.

Nice thing is it marked my other 2 segments as zone SKY as well.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tristar76
0 V open
Hate to tell you this but if it's been that way for a few days there may be higher medallions ahead of you that have not been upgraded either.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Hate to tell you this but if it's been that way for a few days there may be higher medallions ahead of you that have not been upgraded either.
That's kind of what I figured, but to tell you the truth, I'm just now learning how V, upgrades, etc. work.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Yes, as FO I've had late-day CRJ hops CONFIRMED 2 days ahead.
The window for FOs technically opens at around 6:00 p.m. EST two days before departure. If I am upgraded, it is usually around this time (I have only gotten 2 BFUGs, ever).

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Yup. And they're probably not going to open it for FOs, either... they may release a few V spots, but they will almost certainly go to higher medallions. Then... to the battlefield and the wonders of SDC bumps down the list!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eturowski
The window for FOs technically opens at around 6:00 p.m. EST two days before departure. If I am upgraded, it is usually around this time (I have only gotten 2 BFUGs, ever).

Yup. And they're probably not going to open it for FOs, either... they may release a few V spots, but they will almost certainly go to higher medallions. Then... to the battlefield and the wonders of SDC bumps down the list!
Ahh the life of an FO on the battlefield. Nothing like being bumped from 3 in to 6 out 30 minutes before the flight. Glorious.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS
I was upgraded 2 days out three times as FO.
LAS-SLC on a Monday afternoon
SLC-LAX on a Wednesday night
ATL-TUL on a Monday night.

The other (very few instances) were BFUG.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Although the official (as stated on delta.com) upgrade windows are 5, 3, and 1 day out for DM/PM, GM, and FO respectively, in fact when the window upgrades do occur (not as frequently these days, as many FT threads attest) they are at 6, 4, and 2 days out, in the late afternoon/early evening. That has become less predictable and more random in recent months.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:12 pm

I'm a FO and received the 'your upgrade is now confirmed' email two days before my flight (email sent about 5pm on the 23rd) on the 25th. This leg was ATL to ROC. It was a full flight.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
In my experience, as an FO you either get u/g at the window (usually 5pm, T-2 days), or your don't get it at all. Battlefield upgrades for FOs are very, very rare.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by houserulz77
In my experience, as an FO you either get u/g at the window (usually 5pm, T-2 days), or your don't get it at all. Battlefield upgrades for FOs are very, very rare.
Agreed. I've got battlefield twice (DTW-LGA and LGA-DTW). All my other upgrades have been window (ATL-LGA, LGA-ATL). The ATL-LGA-ATL is an easy upgrade for an FO if on the 757.

Last edited by tristar76; Nov 1, 2012 at 8:48 pm Reason: Added description
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Same experiences as many here; very early AM or late day flights receiving the FO upgrade email about 2 days out. Probably got 5-6 upgrades in 5 months as an FO, no BFUG's. On first day as GM a couple weeks ago, had to switch itineraries same day due to an MX issue, when checking in at DFW for the new flight I received a BP with a confirmed J seat for one leg of the trip out of MSP right on the spot. Great welcome to Sky status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.