Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie - Europe coach assistance - DM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Newbie - Europe coach assistance - DM

I have been DM as of a few months ago.

I had to book some urgent flights from ATL->AMS for next week. Unfortunately there are no economy comfort seats available. (I will keep checking...)

These are very expensive seats...$4500 round trip. class Y and B

I have not used or selected any PM or DM choice perks. But do those perks only apply to 2013 anyway?

I am trying to determine how I can use my DM to get upgraded on these flights. Systemwide upgrade certificates?

If it matters, the flights are DL604 on Nov 4 and DL33 on Nov 10

Help me out here...

thx
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Only way is miles or SWU's. If you haven't taken your Choice Benefits yet then go ahead and pick SWU if you want to. They will deposit in your account immediately and you can use them on your flights. They are valid for any flight as of the time they are deposited in your account.

You should call DL first and ask about the upgrade possibilities on your flight. There's a decent to excellent chance that upgrade seats do not exist this close to your flight. They can tell you how the loads look and whether you stand a decent chance or not.

-RM
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Only way is miles or SWU's. If you haven't taken your Choice Benefits yet then go ahead and pick SWU if you want to. They will deposit in your account immediately and you can use them on your flights. They are valid for any flight as of the time they are deposited in your account.

You should call DL first and ask about the upgrade possibilities on your flight. There's a decent to excellent chance that upgrade seats do not exist this close to your flight. They can tell you how the loads look and whether you stand a decent chance or not.

-RM
Is a free upgrade even a choice with an international flight? I didnt think they bumped you from coach to business...?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Neither of those flights have space in the upgrade class so you would not be able to confirm anything at this point. I would suggest subscribing to ExpertFlyer and setting up an upgrade alert. It would be well worth the $9.00 for this month if you choose not to renew.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:26 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smithsonga
Is a free upgrade even a choice with an international flight? I didnt think they bumped you from coach to business...?
It's not a free upgrade. You can use a System Wide Upgrade (SWU) cert to upgrade one way. Or you can use miles. Both require that space be available in a specific upgrade bucket. If space does not exist you can wait list and they will clear if seats become available between now and the flight. NB: IIRC, miles cannot be upgraded on the day of flight so you may want to look into using a SWU as that can cear up to flight departure time.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:27 am
Original Poster

darn it...called and there are no SWU available at this time. Apparently the one flight, business is completely booked.

They just said to call back this week and check if they become available.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Neither of those flights have space in the upgrade class so you would not be able to confirm anything at this point. I would suggest subscribing to ExpertFlyer and setting up an upgrade alert. It would be well worth the $9.00 for this month if you choose not to renew.
this looks like a good idea...

To be clear, they notify me so that I can call immediately and claim the upgrade?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes.

Speaking of intercontinental upgrades to Business Elite, one can (typically) get on a wait list for upgrades with SWUs. That's not true for upgrades with miles.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
1. I would not book expensive seats especially if I am paying $4500 ..if upgrade seats using SWU's are not available .. to sit in coach. Calling Delta would have been my first step.

2. Secondly using www.matrix.itasoftware.com I would check on round trip coach pricing. Because as a DM ... getting an Economy Comfort is free, if available.
Round trip fares are approx $1100-1200 ai from ATL-AMS-ATL
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
If there's no Z space on the direct flight, you could check the ATL-LHR flights (2-3 per day) and then take KLM to AMS.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If OP purchased tickets yesterday, they can still be cancelled for free. So call DL and ask about other flights with various connections where upgrade space can be confirmed and then change--technically cancel and purchase--the ticket to one where the SWU can be used now.

Note that SWUs expire one year after they are selected, meaning that they should be applied to a flight with confirmed upgrade space and the ticket reissued by then; travel can be latere.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
OP check out this thread on UG:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dd1612
1. I would not book expensive seats especially if I am paying $4500 ..if upgrade seats using SWU's are not available .. to sit in coach. Calling Delta would have been my first step.

2. Secondly using www.matrix.itasoftware.com I would check on round trip coach pricing. Because as a DM ... getting an Economy Comfort is free, if available.
Round trip fares are approx $1100-1200 ai from ATL-AMS-ATL
The OP already identified - in his first post - that remaining fares for his travel dates next week are Y and B.

Certainly, willingness to put up with connections can decrease fares and increase possibilities for finding confirmable upgrade inventory.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hope the OP also checks for discounted BE fares. If available, they would cost less than the coach fare that's been purchased. Also, there should be no fee to up fare to BE.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes.

Speaking of intercontinental upgrades to Business Elite, one can (typically) get on a wait list for upgrades with SWUs. That's not true for upgrades with miles.
False statement. I have been waitlisted before, using miles.

The only difference is that you cannot claim an upgrade using miles at the gate, but you can using SWUs.

Also, rumor is that if your upgrade with miles doesn't clear 24hrs prior to your flight, you are screwed. Again, not true. I've had an upgrade clear once 15 hours in advance. (and even at the gate, but for this one it was a KL coded flight and I understand they do things a little differently...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.