Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from First after boarding

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We don't know the circumstances... if the late pax had a paid F ticket (which presumably it was) then they should be moved up especially considering this is a premium route and premium pricing. Of course I'm assuming this was due to a late connection or other DL related circumstances.

If the pax was late due to her own accord, then I don't have much sympathy... and she should've been a lot nicer.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Tiger1tony said the GA moved the coach pax up. That tells me it was "official", and that pax may even have had a new boarding pass in hand.

Under those circumstances, the FA should not be downgrading a pax no matter how big of a fit whiny witch pitches.

BTW, the JFK-LAX/SFO route has a "biz-class" lite service, which is better than run-of-the-mill domestic F.
I'm confused about what was the GA and what was the FA here. If the GA walked the latecomer through the jetbridge to the plane, the GA would have been there at the open door when the late passenger boarded, so the GA should have directed her where to sit and intervened at the first sign of the fit.

I suspect that the GA would have told the guy moved up to FC to move back again if this is what he was supposed to do. GAs should handle seat assignments, not FAs, and in fact FAs are forbidden from upgrading passengers on board except for nonrevs or if a revenue customer has a broken seat, has helped in a medical emergency, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Well at least you have the right attitude about it. ^
Maybe a letter to DL asking for clarification wouldn't hurt. If you do write a letter, I would be sure to compliment the FAs for their professionalism and courtesy, and I would be sure to let DL know you aren't/weren't upset, just trying to inquire about the protocol.

Maybe someone else can answer - if you're given a Battlefield UG because someone ahead of you who was upgraded wasn't going to make the flight and you were given theirs, but then they are able to make the flight, are you then downgraded? I can understand if a paying F customer's seat was given back to them because they were suddenly able to make the flight, but not sure how it does or should work if it's two people who are receiving complimentary upgrades. Seems like it could be another reason the OP was downgraded.

I think OP's take was correct and you are on the right track. My experience is one of losing my FC seat, upgrade and paid, when showing up very late, and getting a space available seat. I have never had my seat reinstated and it has never occured to me to ask for it. I have also benefited from the opposite scenario by getting a late boarder's FC seat and I have never had to give one back (I know this because twice I have had someone say "you got my seat").

My guess is that the equipment change somehow reopens the seat request/assignment process and the orginal seat holder automatically got their seat back and the agents did not bother reassigning them. Or, maybe it didn't happen automatically in which case the GA pandered to some DYKWIA Diamond member and in which case the OP took a Sc##ing and does deserve something.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Several years ago I was flying IAD-ATL-SLC. The flight was delayed leaving IAD and consequently we arrived late to ATL for the last flight of the day to SLC. I had pink tagged my bag, and had to wait quite a while to get it. I sprinted to the SLC flight just in time to see the GA give my FC seat (upgraded at the window) to the lady I sat next to on the earlier flight. I had to spend the night in ATL and lost half of my precious Saturday flying home.

I don't fault the GA or anyone (except maybe slow baggage handlers) for the situation. I know that things don't always go my way, but I always try to stack the deck in my favor. Ever since then I've ditched the rollaboard and flown with a duffle bag that will fit on any aircraft.

Originally Posted by Delta Points
I would have said: OK how about this, put me in 1st on the next flight and I will pop up the the Skyclub to wait! :-)
That's what I did the last time I was downgraded with an equipment change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.