Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-CDG BE options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

BOS-CDG BE options

I am trying to figure how best to structure a trip of ca. 3 months BOS-CDG, starting in the beginning of January, buying an economy and using miles to upgrade to BE. There seem to be a lot of variables and I would appreciate any advice or experience. Here is how I see things at this point.

1. Air France direct flight. This is obviously the most convenient option but I don’t think the AF Business has lie flat seats, which I like a lot, and I seem to have read someplace that booking M and B (or the AF equivalent) only upgrades into Premium Comfort and not real Business class. Also, I read that AF has very restrictive upgrade possibilities if I went this route (though I have some flexibility on dates). Finally I think AF prices are basically higher than Delta

2. Delta BOS-LHR with connection to CDG. This flight I have taken before and it has lie flat seats and seems to have fairly good upgrade possibilities. There is, however, a 3.5 layover starting at 6:15 (or earlier possibly) which is a bit grim, though the SkyClub is good, has showers, and a generous English breakfast. I assume I would be able to do with an M fare for around 3500.

3. Delta BOS-AMS with connection to CDG. This is an old standby which I have done often, but has no lie flat seats, a fairly long layover but not as bad as LHR, and I assume the M fare price and upgrade possibilities would be about the same.

Any views, experience or other suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Joe
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
If it were me, as BOS-CDG is a relatively short flight, I'd buy the lowest coach fare and chill. To upgrade on DL, you would need to purchase a Y, B, or M fare, which can be fairly pricey. Then, as you mentioned, you would need to connect. Not worth it IMO again for such short flight. For AF, not certain of the upgrade options as things have changed recently on that end for DL members.

You can try discounted BE fares, which may actually be cheaper than upgradeable fares.

Again, if it were me. I'd keep it simple and do the AF non-stop in Y.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
If it were me, as BOS-CDG is a relatively short flight, I'd buy the lowest coach fare and chill. To upgrade on DL, you would need to purchase a Y, B, or M fare, which can be fairly pricey. Then, as you mentioned, you would need to connect. Not worth it IMO again for such short flight. For AF, not certain of the upgrade options as things have changed recently on that end for DL members.

You can try discounted BE fares, which may actually be cheaper than upgradeable fares.

Again, if it were me. I'd keep it simple and do the AF non-stop in Y.
Agreed. The DL option, while in a nice seat, is disturbingly expensive for M+ fares, and the AF upgrade option is...well, it just doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Save the money and fly direct on AF. It's only about 7hrs, if that.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Joe747
1. Air France direct flight. This is obviously the most convenient option but I don’t think the AF Business has lie flat seats, which I like a lot, and I seem to have read someplace that booking M and B (or the AF equivalent) only upgrades into Premium Comfort and not real Business class. Also, I read that AF has very restrictive upgrade possibilities if I went this route (though I have some flexibility on dates). Finally I think AF prices are basically higher than Delta
On AF, Voyageur (i.e., economy) classes Y, B, and M may be upgraded to Premium Voyageur (i.e., economy comfort, but better), while Premium Voyageur classes W and S may be upgraded to Affaires (i.e., business class). In either case, you may use miles or a SWU certificate. The AF fleet does not yet offer any flat beds in its business class cabins.

Keep in mind AF flies BOS-CDG once daily with a 747 during the off season, and because that aircraft is not equipped with a Premium Voyageur cabin, it's not possible to upgrade to Affaires. In the high season, AF adds an additional 777 frequency, and DL also operates a 757 once daily.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by MS02113
while Premium Voyageur classes W and S may be upgraded to Affaires (i.e., business class). In either case, you may use miles or a SWU certificate
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I was under the impression this was no longer the case?

Didnt read the entire thread, but have a look..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I was under the impression this was no longer the case?

Didnt read the entire thread, but have a look..
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...premium-w.html
Ah, yes. Forgot about that thread. I admit I haven't kept up with it, but I thought the halt on AF SWU upgrades was a temporary thing. The Delta Web site hasn't been updated yet either way, not that that means much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.