Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Ground Stop - Equipment Failure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by DLFan2
I got my info from Wikipedia, but I'll gladly defer to the FAA definition.

Note however that the FAA definition of "Ground Stop" includes the stopping of departures as well as arrivals.

Sounds like the OP's situation was actually part of a "Ground Delay Program" which "meters" the departure of aircraft headed for the affect airport, sort of like the red/green light system on some urban freeway onramps.

A ground stop only stops departures bound for the ground stopped airport.

Ground stops are used for events which are short in duration, such as thunderstorms or VIP movements which affect the airport arrival rate (AAR).
For example, most west coast departures to LAS are currently ground stopped due to a wind shift:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_other...eDate=10/11/12

If an aircraft can't takeoff from the affected airport due to weather or ATC constraints, that's just referred to as a departure delay.

A GDP is used for constraints to the AAR which are longer in duration, such as fog in SFO during late summer and fall that lasts 6-8 hours a day. SFO currently has a ground delay program affecting all U.S. departures to SFO:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_other...eDate=10/11/12
Old Oct 11, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Sounds like the OP's situation was actually part of a "Ground Delay Program" which "meters" the departure of aircraft headed for the affect airport, sort of like the red/green light system on some urban freeway onramps.
No, it wasn't a (published) GDP or a GS. It was actually just MIT (Miles in Trail) delays due to flow into the arrival gates for ATL. This was made worse by the work being done on 9R/27L. Usually they can offload arrivals during peak times onto 10/28 providing a thrid arrival RWY, but because of the construction, 10/28 became a "normal" arrival runway, and there was no third RWY for peak arrival periods.

That being said, it may have been better to issue a small GDP so airlines can plan their delays. The problem with MIT delays, is that the pilot doesn't know until he calls for push/taxi/ground that there is a delay.

Unfortunately, airlines generally do a poor job explaining this to pax. The FAA doesn't waste the time to explain why your EDCT is 40 minutes away, and locally they may not even know. But rest easy, because most of this information is available (free) on the FAA's website. http://www.fly.faa.gov/ois You can even find charts of the AADC and current MIT restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.