Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHEN to split the reservation? (time)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Slightly different question as this is strictly a domestic itin, but I'll be traveling with two other friends next month and we're all on the same PNR currently. Myself and one companion have status with AS (75K and MVP). We won't be eligible for upgrades ex-HNL, however there is a *small* chance LAX-SLC-ANC. This has been ticketed for a couple months and have had our schedules modified a bit.

I was planning on splitting our PNR so two of us will have a shot at UG's but not certain when- initially there was a 4 hour layover in LAX and I was going to do it upon arrival (so no issues with increased luggage allowances- although DL *should* honor that across our itins when checking in together based on my status) This is now a 51 minute cxn now, which would make it nearly impossible to split and be added onto UG lists.

Should I split now and hope for the best or wait a bit closer to the flights 33 days from now? Thanks for your insight
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Slightly different question as this is strictly a domestic itin, but I'll be traveling with two other friends next month and we're all on the same PNR currently. Myself and one companion have status with AS (75K and MVP). We won't be eligible for upgrades ex-HNL, however there is a *small* chance LAX-SLC-ANC. This has been ticketed for a couple months and have had our schedules modified a bit.

I was planning on splitting our PNR so two of us will have a shot at UG's but not certain when- initially there was a 4 hour layover in LAX and I was going to do it upon arrival (so no issues with increased luggage allowances- although DL *should* honor that across our itins when checking in together based on my status) This is now a 51 minute cxn now, which would make it nearly impossible to split and be added onto UG lists.

Should I split now and hope for the best or wait a bit closer to the flights 33 days from now? Thanks for your insight
I'm leaning towards splitting this the more I think about it- any thoughts for/against?

And I think DL may have changed something on me since I flew them last, as at the baggage page I see the following notation:
Originally Posted by Delta.com
Furthermore, the benefits listed below extend to up to 8 travel companions on the Medallion member's reservation for a total of 9 passengers.
At one point wasn't this applicable to everyone checking in on the same itinerary? Or do they now need to be on the same PNR for this benefit? Thanks.

Last edited by beckoa; Oct 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reason: more info
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold
Op update: Irops question

Was about to pull the trigger & split the record (for the purpose of upgrade), then Sandy shows up on the horizon.

QUESTION: If I split the record & there are IROPS is my non-status traveling companion "left out in the cold" when it comes to re-booking? Is being "linked" enough or do only those on your PNR have a better position?

(we were caught in the AMS snow choas in 2010 & ONLY got out (together) because I was Diamond (same PNR))

Can anyone give me any insight into how this would go down in a real-world WX crisis? Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by popppa
Was about to pull the trigger & split the record (for the purpose of upgrade), then Sandy shows up on the horizon.

QUESTION: If I split the record & there are IROPS is my non-status traveling companion "left out in the cold" when it comes to re-booking? Is being "linked" enough or do only those on your PNR have a better position?

(we were caught in the AMS snow choas in 2010 & ONLY got out (together) because I was Diamond (same PNR))

Can anyone give me any insight into how this would go down in a real-world WX crisis? Thanks
If you are on separate PNRs, there's no guarantee that the system will automatically rebook both of you on the same flights in the event of IROPs. Of course, as has been suggested, you can proactively watch your itinerary and have an agent adjust the reservation of your companion if you end up rebooked on different flights. The only potential problem that I see could occur is if there are a lot of displaced passengers and there aren't any remaining seats (and/or seats together) on your new flight. If no major weather event is anticipated, then I wouldn't worry about it. DL does not frequently swap equipment at the last-minute either (unlike UA).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Warning: I've been told the EC seats would be removed, and it would mess up the baggage allowance on your return.

I always thought the only safe time was on the return, after clearing the international leg.
We recently split PNRs (Two Gold adults, two non-stat kids), and the kids' ability to choose EC on domestic flight remained, even though they were on their own PNR (but linked).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.