Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Having DL AmEx card gives favored award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Having DL AmEx card gives favored award availability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:40 am

I've been reading this for a couple of days and scratching my head! Finally the key question has been asked! How does the system know you have a certain card?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Not sure about Gold and Platinum, but my Reserve card is mentioned in my status...

Gold Medallion® | Sky Priority™ | Delta Reserve Credit Cardmember
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Dreps
It's been a long week, so I may be overlooking the obvious, but will someone explain to me the process by which having the Delta AMX card enters the search? I am GOLD and have a Plat. Delta AMX card, but I thought that the card only enters the picture at the end of the process if I'm paying taxes, fees, etc. for an award ticket.
When you look at your skymiles account it should say Delta (insert type) Card Holder:

Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Also, regardless of which flavor of card you have, your SM# should be printed on your card. DL knows which card you have, trust me....which is linked to your account *somewhere*.

*assuming the number printed on your AMEX matches your SM#...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:13 am

Thanks. Never noticed it before when I logged in.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by dgxoxo
thanks to all of you that have highlighted this unintended benefit. i'm sure it will go away now.
Or it could be an intended benefit. People have been saying that there's no truth in advertising on AmEx's part when they say "get a card, earn 25,000 miles good for a domestic ticket." Maybe DL is helping AmEx by favoring card holders. Lower awards isn't something revenue management would want advertised, but if done quietly, those new card holders could be in the air easier than those without the card.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by spinmeister
I've been reading this for a couple of days and scratching my head! Finally the key question has been asked! How does the system know you have a certain card?
As was said, they know. It is listed when you log into your account as was stated:

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Also, regardless of which flavor of card you have, your SM# should be printed on your card. DL knows which card you have, trust me....which is linked to your account *somewhere*.

*assuming the number printed on your AMEX matches your SM#...
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Or it could be an intended benefit. People have been saying that there's no truth in advertising on AmEx's part when they say "get a card, earn 25,000 miles good for a domestic ticket." Maybe DL is helping AmEx by favoring card holders. Lower awards isn't something revenue management would want advertised, but if done quietly, those new card holders could be in the air easier than those without the card.
I seriously doubt the benefit will go away just because it was posted here. Other "benefits" have not changed just because they have been made public. So I don't see why this would be any different.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Not sure about Gold and Platinum, but my Reserve card is mentioned in my status...

Gold Medallion® | Sky Priority™ | Delta Reserve Credit Cardmember
Mine is similar - even says I am a Skyclub member and Delta Amex Platinum
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: Northwest Worldperks
Try searching from BOS to HNL using the AMEX attached?

Hi All,

I'm having NO luck finding low award availability from BOS - HNL preferable through ATL to get the A330. I'm a GM on Delta but without Delta AMEX.

THe dates (flexible) are some time in July 2013 for 3 weeks...whether that trickles into August doesn't matter.

I find ZERO Low awards....can any of you see if you're finding low fares with the AMEX attached to your profile? ^
Old Oct 2, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Emerald Executive, Priority Club
Confirmed here. My wife and I have no status but both have Gold Amex.

Not logged in - I cannot find any low award availability for ROC-HNL.

Logged in, "I am travelling" checked - Presto... low award (40k) availability for ROC-HNL on some scattered dates out to Feb.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow, OP this is huge. What a find. Not sure if I like this or not. I am a basic DL SM cardholder (options card, not Gold).

Not logged in for the MSP-SEA DL 41 on Jul 9th: 40K
Logged in as DM, does not show any Amex in profiile 40K

What happened to supposed increased award availability for DM's? Apparently it's based on spend now???!!!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spinmeister
The system needs to know to give cardholders the free checked bag, early boarding, upgrade priority for the Reserve card, etc. These don't depend on having purchased the ticket with AmEx but on having a DL AmEx linked to your FF account and having your FF number on the itinerary, although some have reported success in showing the card when, for instance, crediting miles to AS but I suspect this is rare. YMMV.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Now I'm wondering whether the enhanced availability is coming from a back-end pay-with-miles procedure that we're not aware of since one big difference that having a DL AmEx makes is the possibility of doing pay-with-miles tickets. Perhaps if PWM is available for some amount of miles approximating low, delta.dumb offers a low award ticket but treats it as it it were PWM for inventory purposes. Just speculating.....
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Now I'm wondering whether the enhanced availability is coming from a back-end pay-with-miles procedure that we're not aware of since one big difference that having a DL AmEx makes is the possibility of doing pay-with-miles tickets. Perhaps if PWM is available for some amount of miles approximating low, delta.dumb offers a low award ticket but treats it as it it were PWM for inventory purposes. Just speculating.....
Appears so. Not surprised that this is the case as DL is in bed with Amex. I'm just more upset that DL hasn't been open about this, and the apparently higher elites get better avail is just bogus as it seems.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:04 am

Programs: Northwest Worldperks
Smile

Originally Posted by kingofbytes
Hi All,

I'm having NO luck finding low award availability from BOS - HNL preferable through ATL to get the A330. I'm a GM on Delta but without Delta AMEX.

THe dates (flexible) are some time in July 2013 for 3 weeks...whether that trickles into August doesn't matter.

I find ZERO Low awards....can any of you see if you're finding low fares with the AMEX attached to your profile? ^
I should have also mentioned that I want the first class cabin...so for any taking the time to test, THANK YOU. I'd love to hear if you see LOW redemption from east coast (BOS) to HNL in the first class cabin. Right now, all I see is 135K or 157,500....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.