Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo GoGoing up?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott PP /DL Diamond
I use it on all flights over an hour and half just so I can stay on top of work emails and don't spending the first 30 minutes I land trying to catch up. I haven't noticed a problem with speed but emails are about all I do. I also have a few $14 day passes bought and saved for future use for those rare occasions when the price jumps up on the longer hauls.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I used to have the monthly pass when it was $29.95/month on a single airline. Now it looks like it's $39.95/month. Since the speeds are generally so bad, or there are connection problems, I will just focus on other things in-flight instead.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I stll have the monthly pass. How else coukd I surf FT at 30K feet?
I agree that there are some connection issues, but overall I like the service.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
The other day, SLC-JFK, I opened up the laptop just to see how ludicrous the prices would be for an in-flight purchase. Here's what gogo offered me:

Delta Traveler Pass: $39.95
Gogo 1 Hour Pass: $10.00
Buy 2 hours, get 1 free: $20.00
All Day Pass: $24.95

Wow. Who on earth buys that? I guess in an emergency or someone who has never heard of in-flight wifi. The prices were slightly less when I checked my iPhone. I think the 1 hour mobile was $6.00. Still, ludicrous. Especially when you check the prices on the ground; all day pass is $14.95.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Driven by anger and disgust for GoGo prices/service my current "game" is to simply NEVER BUY a subscription but will use the "free" side to browse image heavy eBay listings and sometimes the Delta site as much as possible.

I already pay much, much less for mobile data that I can use way, way more - a few hours without email isn't going to kill me. Especially, when the service is so slow and spotty....
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Ti22
Driven by anger and disgust for GoGo prices/service my current "game" is to simply NEVER BUY a subscription but will use the "free" side to browse image heavy eBay listings and sometimes the Delta site as much as possible.

I already pay much, much less for mobile data that I can use way, way more - a few hours without email isn't going to kill me. Especially, when the service is so slow and spotty....
^^^ That's exactly what I did. The 73H I was on had satellite TV, and also power ports in Y. So I could flip between channels or play trivia on the little TV, and instead of having to switch out to the moving map, I could track our flight on the Delta app on my phone. The gogo page even had links to a few free games, so I played monopoly until we got down to 10000.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
I wonder whether inflight Internet will become something like the air phones of the 1980s and 1990s. It works -- just not great -- but at such a high price point that not enough use it to make it profitable. I can't imagine United, or their partner (GTE?) ever recouped the cost of putting multiple handsets in every row of virtually every plane in the fleet.

Of course, this thread observes that the more people use it, the less usable internet service becomes, so profit and usability may be mutually exclusive.

I don't think satellite is the answer, but the technology will improve. Whether it will keep up with our expectations is another question. 15 years ago I would have been perfectly happy with dial-up performance at 30,000 feet...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ti22
I used to use it (without subscription) to research award flight availability. That easily took the duration of a transcontinental flight, especially once you factored in the latency of each page request.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Going up again 3/1/2014.

http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...ch-1-2014.html

Unlike a SC price increase, you can still lock in the old rates for a bit.

David
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think gogo is going to price themselves out of the market.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Heh. I have enough day passes and a voucher I forgot to use that will last me for all of my planned travels through June

-J.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Just a friendly reminder, Lucky says Traveler Passes are going up $10 per month on April 6th. Seems existing memberships will not see the price increase.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...-april-6-2014/

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.