Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Amex Gives Sky Priority?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Last year when I only had the Amex (i.e. before I was FO) when I used a mobile boarding pass (sent as a text message to my phone) it would have a blue Sky Priority banner on top of the QR code and actually say SKY PRIORITY in the body text. Closer to the end of the year it lost the banner and would have "SKYMILES AMEX" in the body.

-J.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:17 am

The reason for this is because Plat and Reserve AMEX holders get access to the Priority TSA security lanes. That SKY logo is what the security drones which "guard" the lines look for -- so they print it on the BP.

The boarding zone only reflects zone 1 because this is also the correct boarding zone for Plat/Reserve < GM && no first class segments.

This BP format is correct.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by johnm1019
The reason for this is because Plat and Reserve AMEX holders get access to the Priority TSA security lanes. That SKY logo is what the security drones which "guard" the lines look for -- so they print it on the BP.

The boarding zone only reflects zone 1 because this is also the correct boarding zone for Plat/Reserve < GM && no first class segments.

I thought only Delta Reserve Am Ex card member received SP security lane access, not Delta Platnium Am Ex or Delta gold am ex members.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by johnm1019

So when did TSA Priority lane access start up for AMEX Plats????? I have both - an AMEX Delta Plat and a standard AMEX Plat. I've never been offered the priority lane... I yearn for the old days when Crown Room card holders had access (when that went away, I ditched the card).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta: Gold, Marriott: Silver
I am a FO and Plat Delta Amex holder and I can say that this isn't a new thing. I too was shocked the first time I saw it and it only shows up on my eBPs, never on any printed boarding passes. I don't complain though, being able to use the SP lane at LGA or JFK saves me a whole bunch of time at security, and when it comes to the gate I just board with Zone 1 because honestly I don't need that extra 2 minutes that the Zone SKY members get. And as far as getting SP tags on my checked luggage it seems to be a 50/50. For instance I flew ROC-BOS this weekend and didn't get SP tags, however flying from BOS-JFK I was tagged SP, and then flying LGA - ROC on Tuesday my bag was once again tagged SP.

It isn't something I expect or demand, however it is always nice to see that red banner when I pull up my eBP and it definitely helps keep my business even at a low elite level.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
In theory, FO should not get Sky Priority unless they are upgraded on at least one segment of the trip.

Also, "Zone 1" is actually the 3rd boarding zone (which messes with the minds of the AMEX Medallions). First is "PREM" (First/Biz class), then "SKY" (DM/PM/GM/ST E+/AS MVPs in coach), then Zone 1(FOs, EC buy ups, and AMEX).

I'm not including pre-boards in that.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
I am only FO with DL and noticed SP on my BP today. After reading this thread, I decided to call AMEX and ask if this is a new benefit (I have a DL Gold AMEX). The rep told me that currently, only priority boarding, a free checked bag and a 20% discount (along with SM earning) are benefits. HOWEVER, she stated that the benefits will be changing to give all DL AMEX holders SkyPriority access, not just reseve memebers. I can see this pissing off a lot of STE+ medallions along with F customers and Reserve CC holders. While I will benefit, along with the once a year DL flyer with a DL AMEX, DL is really sticking it to their STE+, Reserve and paying FC customers, IF of course, the rep I spoke to was correct........

In the long run, this will benefit the once a year flyer without a DL AMEX, once DL makes everyone "priority" then nobody is......
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ekiserj
HOWEVER, she stated that the benefits will be changing to give all DL AMEX holders SkyPriority access, not just reseve memebers. I can see this pissing off a lot of STE+ medallions along with F customers and Reserve CC holders. While I will benefit, along with the once a year DL flyer with a DL AMEX, DL is really sticking it to their STE+, Reserve and paying FC customers...
If true, it would mean that for $95/year you could get most FO benefits by virtue of having the Gold DL AMEX. It truly would mean that death of Status-by-BIS.

On the other hand, the SkyPriority lines may become so swamped with CC holders that the regular line would be the better choice.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Sep 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am only FO with DL and noticed SP on my BP today. After reading this thread, I decided to call AMEX and ask if this is a new benefit (I have a DL Gold AMEX). The rep told me that currently, only priority boarding, a free checked bag and a 20% discount (along with SM earning) are benefits. HOWEVER, she stated that the benefits will be changing to give all DL AMEX holders SkyPriority access, not just reseve memebers. I can see this pissing off a lot of STE+ medallions along with F customers and Reserve CC holders. While I will benefit, along with the once a year DL flyer with a DL AMEX, DL is really sticking it to their STE+, Reserve and paying FC customers, IF of course, the rep I spoke to was correct........
And if that is true that is going to REALLY tick off FO's without a Delta Am Ex. Why would they give skypriority privledges to a non-status Delta Am Ex card holder and not a FO without a card? What is REALLY absurd is they took away the SP security line privledges away from Skyclub members a couple years ago.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
If true, it would mean that for $95/year you could get most FO benefits by virtue of having the Gold DL AMEX. It truly would mean that death of Status-by-BIS.
Might be a good bet for someone like me who is losing AS status at the end of the year

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And if that is true that is going to REALLY tick off FO's without a Delta Am Ex. Why would they give skypriority privledges to a non-status Delta Am Ex card holder and not a FO without a card? What is REALLY absurd is they took away the SP security line privledges (sic) away from Skyclub members a couple years ago.
Why? Because DL probably makes more money off their creditcard holders than they do off their FO's.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:50 pm
Suspended

I thought I posted this here as well

Originally Posted by Howste
You don't have one yet? I've seen this on the Delta website for weeks:

Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
On the other hand, the SkyPriority lines may become so swamped with CC holders that the regular line would be the better choice.
Seeing how many people board with zone 1 you could be right.

If this is the case then I hope Delta at least has a separate line at all their major airports for TSA precheck customers and it won't be so bad.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Where is Lizbeth when we need her?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
If the rep I spoke to was correct, and given my past experience with them, this is a big IF, then DL would become much less attractive to most frequent business travelers. As a UA plat, I would really feel for you guys. Selling access (a la US and PMUA) is bad enough, but not nearly as bad as giving to a $95 a year CC holder. I would think DL/AMEX would also see some Reserve CC holders drop down to cheaper cards as well, at least those that don't really use the clubs (i.e. my team lead).

As a higher tier FF with another airline, I sure hope DL doesn't do this to their higher tier FFs, but you never know.....
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the rep I spoke to was correct, and given my past experience with them, this is a big IF, then DL would become much less attractive to most frequent business travelers. As a UA plat, I would really feel for you guys. Selling access (a la US and PMUA) is bad enough, but not nearly as bad as giving to a $95 a year CC holder. I would think DL/AMEX would also see some Reserve CC holders drop down to cheaper cards as well, at least those that don't really use the clubs (i.e. my team lead).

As a higher tier FF with another airline, I sure hope DL doesn't do this to their higher tier FFs, but you never know.....
As a DL PM, I will hate to see it happen at DTW since it seems like everyone there has a Delta Am Ex card and there isn't a separate lane for TSA precheck (it wouldn't be bad at places like LAS and LAX where there is a different line for prechecks).

If this does turn out to be the case then it wouldn't surprise me if American and United follow and start offering that benefit to their cardholders. When one airline started offering free checked bags on their card all the other airlines followed very shortly. Same when Delta started allowing credit card holders to board in zone 1, soon the othert airlines followed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.