Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles are absolute worst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I like the DL program and have had no problem with US or Int'l awards.
I have to mostly agree with this comment as well. In the pasy 12 months I have booked numerous low domestic first (HNL included from ATL at 85K) low international first with a HNL stopover, DTW-SEA-HNL stopover, HNL-MNL on HA, MNL-DTW on 747 with NGO layover for 120K. Got a last minute DTW-LAS this weekend for 35K, coach with gate upgrade Friday and first class home tomorrow morning on 11AM non stop flight. Yes, sometimes you need to be flexible, need to check partners, game the system by searching individual flights, but in the end, I almost always get what it is I am looking for on the days I want or at worst a day before or after what I was looking for.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Which partners did you check and how did you check them? No one is claiming that using DL miles is easy, but if you were quoted 170K miles RT, it seems like you had medium/high DL across the Pacific plus maybe a partner flight intra-Asia. I'm very skeptical that anyone actually checked CZ or MU for the TPAC flights. You tend to have to spoon feed agents with flights and dates to find things.
You are likely right that a little research does good for obtaining low level flights. I am just upset that DL agents don't have the tools to do that. The United site put together itineraries that include 3+ partners. My Continental reward didn't even include a CO flight ( united, thai, and ANA). It is strange that DL system can have partner flights come up with a paid itinerary but not with a reward..... seems like just another type of currency.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jlabsher
I have 80k miles & daughter has 80k too, all leftover from NW...

<snip>

I thanked her for trying and now will use my DL miles to get to the west coast and go on a real airline, JAL, ANA, or SG. Will never fly DL again!
Doesn't appear that DL will be losing much business here.

Originally Posted by k2
That's not surprising, from what I've seen doing my searches for low BE inventory (TATL or TPAC), Delta only opens up 1 seat at a time. Once you search for 2 awards it's hopeless. I've never tried this, but you might consider booking one seat at low, and wait for them to potentially reset inventory and then book the other. I have no idea if they actually open up more low once the first one is sold.
This has been my experience, and I've successfully used the strategy you suggest several times. Of course you get all of the fun that comes with juggling multiple PNRs for the same trip. There's also some risk for GM and lower status, as there's a $150 award redeposit fee if the 2nd fare doesn't materialize and you later choose to cancel or change the first.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by kss5555
I have to mostly agree with this comment as well. In the pasy 12 months I have booked numerous low domestic first (HNL included from ATL at 85K) low international first with a HNL stopover, DTW-SEA-HNL stopover, HNL-MNL on HA, MNL-DTW on 747 with NGO layover for 120K. Got a last minute DTW-LAS this weekend for 35K, coach with gate upgrade Friday and first class home tomorrow morning on 11AM non stop flight. Yes, sometimes you need to be flexible, need to check partners, game the system by searching individual flights, but in the end, I almost always get what it is I am looking for on the days I want or at worst a day before or after what I was looking for.

+1, but it's a shame that ordinary folks who don't have the knowledge or miles we have on this board have to go through you know what just to get an award ticket at a decent redemption rate.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Deltas program is awful.mi would never fly them again due to this and other service reasons. I would stick to American or United for decent mileage programs in the US.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1, but it's a shame that ordinary folks who don't have the knowledge or miles we have on this board have to go through you know what just to get an award ticket at a decent redemption rate.
In the end those with the skill set to navigate the loyalty programs will receive much greater benefits from the loyalty program.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
In the end those with the skill set to navigate the loyalty programs will receive much greater benefits from the loyalty program.
In the end, airlines with IT skills will provide the benefits of the loyalty program to their customers without making them "navigate" for them.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Ever consider that just maybe others got there and booked ahead of you? You may simply have been too late. ...or too early, keep trying.
Why should the OP consider the obvious? This is FT and NOTHING trumps anecdotal examples.

Complete lunacy.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
And.... in the end those with the brains to pick an airline with a decent loyalty program (i.e. anything other than SM) will receive much greater benefits.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
And there are those of us who are stuck living in places where Delta has 75% of the gates in a 150 mile radius. (Not a great time for us to move for assorted reasons.) Yeah, I'm less than thrilled with Sky Pesos, but not annoyed quite enough yet to end up having all my flights out of Florida be by way of Texas when the goal is to otherwise go north or east of here.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWATWA
Deltas program is awful.mi would never fly them again due to this and other service reasons. I would stick to American or United for decent mileage programs in the US.
Wow, UA never has service issues? You'd never guess that from reading the UA board.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
And there are those of us who are stuck living in places where Delta has 75% of the gates in a 150 mile radius. (Not a great time for us to move for assorted reasons.) Yeah, I'm less than thrilled with Sky Pesos, but not annoyed quite enough yet to end up having all my flights out of Florida be by way of Texas when the goal is to otherwise go north or east of here.
No shame in being a hub/route captive, or "Damnes de la Ciel" as I call them. The morons are the ones who have a choice and don't make it.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by LBJ
Wow, UA never has service issues? You'd never guess that from reading the UA board.
Yup

and AA will soon have issues: once it merges with whomever.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Yup

and AA will soon have issues: once it merges with whomever.
Don't disagree, but I thought we were talking about SM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
That said, yes, DL has poor redemption compared to other legacy carriers.
When not put in the context of domestic versus international redemption, it amounts to the same old myth.

Internationally, Delta is indeed weak in most respects of both award redemption and elite perks (albeit there are some specific areas where they excel).

Domestically, where the vast majority of their revenue and routes are, they not only don't lag, but they truly are "best in class" in most respects. This is particularly true for mid-level and higher elites. Sure, they don't offer one-way awards. They also tend to be relatively weaker in far-in-advance bookings. But when you compare apples to apples (various ot-cited "studies" don't do this - they use a narrow scope), Delta excels. To see this, pick out a sufficiently random sample of routes and dates (both close-in and in advance). Search logged in as an elite for the various programs. See how many miles it takes, on average, to get a coach ticket. Be sure to factor in that on Delta, you can get confirmed first class upgrades much of the time within your upgrade window, and if you're Platinum or Diamond, will be upgraded 90%+ of the time regardless. Next, see what it costs to *acquire* the miles required. If you don't spend much on affinity credit cards or take part in various promotions, then Delta will lose some of its edge, but will still be about the cheapest. However, if you use branded credit cards and utilize various promotions, only US comes anywhere close to Delta's cost of mile acquisition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.