Skymiles are absolute worst

Old Sep 1, 12, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Angry Skymiles are absolute worst

I have 80k miles & daughter has 80k too, all leftover from NW, was trying for reward flight to SIN next summer. Well, my flight went through OK, but I "held" it until I got hers just to be safe. Went back to website with exact same dates, no flights available less than 5 mins later. This is for next summer....

Tried one day back and forward, no go. So I tried calling, spent a good 45 minutes online with numerous reps trying to get a flight, last person was good, spoke English... anyway, she says, sorry no low reward flights anywhere near your dates... I went back to check, sure enough, in the time I spent with DL trying to get a flight for 10 months in the future all their 80k flights for a 3 week period vanished.

I thanked her for trying and now will use my DL miles to get to the west coast and go on a real airline, JAL, ANA, or SG. Will never fly DL again!

Thanks for listening to my rant.
Old Sep 1, 12, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
+1. Worst FF redemption on the planet.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Just keep checking.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Ever consider that just maybe others got there and booked ahead of you? You may simply have been too late. ...or too early, keep trying.

Last edited by Pharaoh; Sep 1, 12 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Ever consider that just maybe others got there and booked ahead of you? You may simply have been too late.
When I originally tried there were 3 solid weeks of low reward redemption dates. By the time I got off the phone 45 minutes later there were none. You gonna tell me that on Labor day weekend there are that many people booking reward flights for next summer? That's OK, they are not the only airline in the sky, and their in-flight service, well let's just say they don't win any awards.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:31 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Check again tomorrow or day after. I've seen that happen, but eventually the 'glitch' gets corrected. The inventory you saw will come back and book it right away.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Ever consider that just maybe others got there and booked ahead of you? You may simply have been too late.
On the contrary. I think it's too early to be finding lots of availability for next summer. DL doesn't really do the 330 days out thing.

That said, yes, DL has poor redemption compared to other legacy carriers.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Don't forget partners. If you don't ask, most agents don't seem to search them, and the Asian partners are not available to search on DL.dumb.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Don't forget partners. If you don't ask, most agents don't seem to search them, and the Asian partners are not available to search on DL.dumb.
Made sure I did that, thanks to learning that here on FT. I ran into the same problem earlier this spring was trying to book a transcontinental flight using same miles 6, 5, then 4 months out with no joy. Eventually I gave up and went with Virgin America for $150 less per ticket, nonstop, and decent service.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlabsher View Post
When I originally tried there were 3 solid weeks of low reward redemption dates.....
That's shocking. Did you just look at calendar or did you actually click through to see flights with seats? The calendar is known to be unreliable.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:46 pm

I am just going to agree sky miles are the worst. Just in case some employee rom Delta keeps track of comments from their customers
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 80k miles & daughter has 80k too, all leftover from NW, was trying for reward flight to SIN next summer. Well, my flight went through OK, but I "held" it until I got hers just to be safe...
The only way to hold an award is to book it, but not ticket it. Did you book it with a PNR? That should still be valid. I have never had any problem with ticketing held PNR later.
Old Sep 1, 12, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL GM
Try KE or CZ. Partners are almost always better but you might run into a fuel surcharge situation.
Old Sep 1, 12, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Made sure I did that, thanks to learning that here on FT. I ran into the same problem earlier this spring was trying to book a transcontinental flight using same miles 6, 5, then 4 months out with no joy. Eventually I gave up and went with Virgin America for $150 less per ticket, nonstop, and decent service.
Did you ask for specific partner flights or just ask if there was anything on partners? You literally have to call and say "What's available on flight KE123 from AAA to BBB on 1JAN13?" Checking something like ExpertFlyer or the FlyingBlue engine for CZ space can put you in a position of certitude. The LAX-CAN route shows a tremendous amount of award space once it switches to the A380.
Old Sep 1, 12, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT Marriott PLT
Skymiles is light years better than any China Based FF program!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: