Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles are absolute worst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
A recent FlyerTalk / Frequent Business Traveler magazine survey put Delta at the bottom in terms of member satisfaction with award redemption.

Read the report and findings if you want to see how other airlines did in comparison.

That having been said, I just redeemd a 100,000 BE award for JFK FRA CDG AMS JFK less than four weeks out and it would have cost $7,800 had I purchased it.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:57 am

Can someone verify this because I must be missing something:

If I want to fly Delta metal in economy (low award redemption) for 2 tickets, one of the passengers being myself (currently DM):

ATL - PEK (any day in June, 2013)
PEK - ATL (any day in July, 2013)

On Delta.com, I see nothing in the low award bucket. Is that true or am I doing something wrong here?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:55 am
k2

Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Can someone verify this because I must be missing something:

If I want to fly Delta metal in economy (low award redemption) for 2 tickets, one of the passengers being myself (currently DM):

ATL - PEK (any day in June, 2013)
PEK - ATL (any day in July, 2013)

On Delta.com, I see nothing in the low award bucket. Is that true or am I doing something wrong here?
That's not surprising, from what I've seen doing my searches for low BE inventory (TATL or TPAC), Delta only opens up 1 seat at a time. Once you search for 2 awards it's hopeless. I've never tried this, but you might consider booking one seat at low, and wait for them to potentially reset inventory and then book the other. I have no idea if they actually open up more low once the first one is sold.

I have personally given up on trying to find low awards, the new challenge is to find mediums.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
DL is no better or worse. U S legacy programs are the same.
FAIL.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...232316730.html
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Platinum
YES, it is the worst program for redeeming low level award. Look at their partners in Asia, they are such a left over airlines from other alliances with an extra long black out dates.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
DL is no better or worse. U S legacy programs are the same.
Keep telling yourself that. Do you only fly extensively on DL?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by hazelrah
There's actually a new set of results for this year. US Airways improved to 34% and Delta reclaimed the bottom spot again at 27%. Close in availability also dropped on DL compared to last year.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Have to agree that DL is the worst. Spent a ton of time on the internet and phone trying to get to asia this fall in coach. Best they could do was 170K RT(partners involved). I question my devotion to DL for all those paid miles getting to MillionMiler.

Did a check on United and could find lot of online options for 65K. Two years ago I did Asia with Continental miles for 65K ( ended being RTW via Europe on outbound). DL would never think of allowing this. Too bad I have depleted my UL/Continental miles.

Ended up booking a United paid ticket..... no reason to add any more DL miles to my reserve.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by madison8
Have to agree that DL is the worst. Spent a ton of time on the internet and phone trying to get to asia this fall in coach. Best they could do was 170K RT(partners involved). I question my devotion to DL for all those paid miles getting to MillionMiler.

Did a check on United and could find lot of online options for 65K. Two years ago I did Asia with Continental miles for 65K ( ended being RTW via Europe on outbound). DL would never think of allowing this. Too bad I have depleted my UL/Continental miles.

Ended up booking a United paid ticket..... no reason to add any more DL miles to my reserve.
Which partners did you check and how did you check them? No one is claiming that using DL miles is easy, but if you were quoted 170K miles RT, it seems like you had medium/high DL across the Pacific plus maybe a partner flight intra-Asia. I'm very skeptical that anyone actually checked CZ or MU for the TPAC flights. You tend to have to spoon feed agents with flights and dates to find things.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The WSJ article findings were based on a theoretical set of trips that the researchers tried to book on each program. It's not a bad way to do it but it's not completely representative of the wide variety of experiences FlyerTalk members and other frequent travelers have had.

In contrast, the FlyerTalk / Frequent Business Traveler magazine survey asked very frequent flyers to rate their own program(s) on award redemption so it is more reflective of real-world experience.

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction: Which Airlines Soar Above the Rest?

While they may appear to be similar at first glance, not all frequent flyer programs are created equal. If you are trying to decide which frequent flyer program to be loyal to and your primary goal is reward redemption for airline tickets, take note of the following: experienced flyers, i.e. those who know the ins and outs of the various programs, rated Alaska Airlines’ Mileage Plan the best, and are also quite happy with American, Southwest, JetBlue, and United, in that order.
<SNIP>
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:48 am
Suspended

DL Awards

I like the DL program and have had no problem with US or Int'l awards.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
To be fair, I have found many low awards intl lately in biz. But thats because in YYZ we are blessed with AF/KL/AZ. There is absolutely ZERO on Delta.

There is also lots of space on CI JFK-TPE and beyond. Its getting to JFK that can be an issue on DL.

You do have to be creative, and knowledgable, and one can still take advantage of SkyPesos.... Of course you also have to find the right agent amongst the dozens that will insist Aeroflot or China Airlines are not a partner.

Look at USAir - they rank low because on their website, awards are almost impossible, but including partners - you can get anywhere in the world.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jspira
The WSJ article findings were based on a theoretical set of trips that the researchers tried to book on each program. It's not a bad way to do it but it's not completely representative of the wide variety of experiences FlyerTalk members and other frequent travelers have had.

In contrast, the FlyerTalk / Frequent Business Traveler magazine survey asked very frequent flyers to rate their own program(s) on award redemption so it is more reflective of real-world experience.

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction: Which Airlines Soar Above the Rest?
Most of the 8.4% of the "Very Satisfied" must post here as part of the Rebuttal Team.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter:19240135
Originally Posted by jspira

Most of the 8.4% of the "Very Satisfied" must post here as part of the Rebuttal Team.
Or drunk on woodfords.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Must have been 12 respondents, one of which was mooper...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.