Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles are absolute worst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
agreed... DL has horrible availability and is a PITA too find low-level awards... but that said, I have redeemed DL miles for many, many international awards to Europe. (both in Y and J, ALWAYS low-level price) You have to know how to use their terrible search engine.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Sep 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Did you ask for specific partner flights or just ask if there was anything on partners? You literally have to call and say "What's available on flight KE123 from AAA to BBB on 1JAN13?" Checking something like ExpertFlyer or the FlyingBlue engine for CZ space can put you in a position of certitude. The LAX-CAN route shows a tremendous amount of award space once it switches to the A380.
very true... I have called asked for partner availability... they say "no, sorry. Nothing at all." Then ask for a specific flight on a specific carrier that I know has availability, and wow! suddenly there is space available.

You have to use the same approach when using DL.dumb. search for availability point-to-point for the r/t you want. Write down the available flights for each segment. Then put them all together with a multi-segment search.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
very true... I have called asked for partner availability... they say "no, sorry. Nothing at all." Then ask for a specific flight on a specific carrier that I know has availability, and wow! suddenly there is space available.

You have to use the same approach when using DL.dumb. search for availability point-to-point for the r/t you want. Write down the available flights for each segment. Then put them all together with a multi-segment search.
Same for flights within the USA. I check MSP-ANC and delta.dumb says no low level. I check MSP-SEA and SEA-ANC after first checking each individual segment and/or after first checking alaskaair.com and presto, low level availability!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Wrong

DL is no better or worse. U S legacy programs are the same.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:10 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I would disagree. DL is worse for low at all times, but better for medium availability at peak times.
e.g.,
KOA in Dec break. WAS-KOA is wide open in F at 135k each. Low at 75k is missing.
see AA, UA - no low either, but "anytime" or "standard " awards available at 150k r/t.

At other times, you can get a lot of AA/UA low awards but not as much DL low awards.

And for the comparison to other FF programs, all US programs are MUCH better at accruals and redemptions than most EU/Asian programs.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
agreed... DL has horrible availability and is a PIA too find low-level awards... but that said, I have redeemed DL miles for many, many international awards to Europe. (both in Y and J, ALWAYS low-level price) You have to know how to use their terrible search engine.
PIA is Pakistan International Airlines, which is also the company that Delta's senior executives selected to improve the functionality of its web technology. The results of this effort require no further embellishment.

What you might have meant to say is: PITA: Pain In The A$$.

Keep Climbing,
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
ROFL! This is by far the most ludicrous assertion I have ever read on FT!!!!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
lol... maybe if you just fly around the USA and never look for premium cabin international trips.... even then... skypesos are only good for a low trip to Idaho in February...

US legacy programs are actually some of the best, no YQ is a huge deal, and US programs are almost the last ones left without charging YQ (except for AA/AS on BA with clear communication to the customer, and DL sneakily on various partners without announcing it transparently)
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
AA and OW destroys sky pesos.

Fly Cathay F to Asia for 62.5K or JAL or BA to London.

Last week I went SIN-HKG-JFK-LHR-SIN all in F for 180K OW

Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Ever consider that just maybe others got there and booked ahead of you? You may simply have been too late. ...or too early, keep trying.
The moment DL knows you are looking for a flight, if you don't book it the moment you see it (max availability is usually 1 seat), the mileage required jumps up 4.x fold to high level vs low. That is known as "customized pricing."
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by mach92
AA and OW destroys sky pesos.

Fly Cathay F to Asia for 62.5K or JAL or BA to London.

Last week I went SIN-HKG-JFK-LHR-SIN all in F for 180K OW
Tell me how easy was it for you to earn your OW miles? I'm willing to bet that if you factor in all the promos from the last 2 years, the "earning cost" vs. the "redemption cost" may not look as bad for Delta.

Yes, Delta has worst LOW LEVEL-AWARD availability, but as someone else pointed out, they have very decent mid and high award availability. Also, Skyteam is fairly large and going to EU and Asia on Delta or a skyteam partner is quite possible. You just need to do some homework (make that A LOT of homework) to get the ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:34 pm

No fuel surcharge on KE when I booked tickets LAX-ICN-AKL three months ago for travel in Feb. 2013. Getting two seats on the same flight in J was a challenge, but we managed to do it.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by chunky649
Tell me how easy was it for you to earn your OW miles? I'm willing to bet that if you factor in all the promos from the last 2 years, the "earning cost" vs. the "redemption cost" may not look as bad for Delta.

Yes, Delta has worst LOW LEVEL-AWARD availability, but as someone else pointed out, they have very decent mid and high award availability. Also, Skyteam is fairly large and going to EU and Asia on Delta or a skyteam partner is quite possible. You just need to do some homework (make that A LOT of homework) to get the ticket.
And AA has tightened up sAAver inventory TATL to the point that about the only way to get a premium seat is to book it on BA and pay their YQ. VA's YQ is lower for a longer flight in most instances. It's hard to tell what on earth AF/KL are doing with their O inventory, but it's still possible to find low awards TATL through DL without paying YQ. Oh, and that vaunted *A F opportunity? I hope you either prefer to travel without planning more than two weeks in advance or like UA's J+ "F" product, as that's the only way to get TATL in F through *A now it seems.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by cnc2002
No fuel surcharge on KE when I booked tickets LAX-ICN-AKL three months ago for travel in Feb. 2013. Getting two seats on the same flight in J was a challenge, but we managed to do it.
Unfortunately, KE changed the pricing of their revenue tickets in early July to use a YR surcharge rather than an embedded Q surcharge, and DL now collects this. Your LAX-ICN-AKL (which I just booked, including OMA-SLC-LAX on DL) now comes with $250 each way in fuel surcharges.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol... maybe if you just fly around the USA and never look for premium cabin international trips.... even then... skypesos are only good for a low trip to Idaho in February...
What's funny about this statement is that when I post that I have NEVER seen low-tier award availability for ANY domestic flights I am booking, people are quick to say how much better the international availability is (on partners). Even searching connecting flights in the US I find few partners with low awards for even one segment. YMMV, but US domestic awards are definitely no picnic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.