Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta slashes mileage earning on unpublished and group fares: 01 September 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
I do not care about your probability. What matters to me is what happens with my company and my tickets. It doesn't matter what happens with your company, with some hypothetical average company, or any other company.
How often does your company purchase unpublished DL fares?

Originally Posted by fti
I have and I will in the future. I know that is hard for you to accept that it is more common than you think.

It is also hard for you to accept that the "blocks" of consolidator tickets dont exist with reputable consolidators like Pharaoh and I talk about. Again that is your problem.

Just admit it - this change can have an effect on more people than you ever imagined initially. But I am now realizing you are like pbarnette and mumper in thinking that Delta can do no wrong. I am not such a loyalist plus I have extensive experience with consolidator fares over the past years which obviouly you dont.
I never said blocks of consolidator tickets don't exist with reputable consolidators - I have simply said that the majority of corporate TAs don't work with consolidators or unpublished fares that would earn reduced MQMs.

The change will impact many customers; however, a negligible number will be business or corporate customers.

Originally Posted by fti
So just because YOU dont know of any corporate TA that uses consolidator fares means there arent any??? Now that is a strange conclusion.

I can assure you that what Hans is talking about indeed are unpublished fares. You just continue to refuse to accept it for the reason I mentioned above.
I have experience with many TAs, that combined would cover the majority of U.S. corporate spend. I don't see these TAs using the DL consolidator fares that would be eligible for reduced MQMs.

I am open to being correct and would like to hear about examples (and fare basis codes) where posters have booked unpublished DL fares that would be eligible for reduced MQMs.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
I happen to work in the travel industry. I don't know of any corporate travel TAs that use consolidator fare. I do agree that DL may be "trial ballooning" this on these fares to see if there is any noise. If none, they may roll it out further.

Originally Posted by sxf24
Do you or have you ever make corporate bookings with unpublished consolidator fares?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This discussion is making me wonder about the AmEx PTS/CTS two-for-one (and related discounted) international business class fares, usually at full J rates. It would be very annoying not to receive the class of service RDMs on these. Are these considered to be unpublished/consolidator fares? I would guess yes to unpublished as they're not available to the general public, only to certain AmEx cardholders.

Also, I initially understood the announcement also to say that consolidator/unpublished fare tickets would not receive elite bonus RDMs, but this aspect hasn't been discussed here. Is this true, that one would lose the additional 125% for DM for example?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
The point remains: while it is possible for a business traveler to purchase a DL consolidator fare that will earn reduced MQMs through a corporate TA, it is highly improbable.
You will note that I never addressed the MQM issue, only that there is a healthy market in consolidator fares, even by "corporate" TAs.

Originally Posted by Teamstone
I happen to work in the travel industry. I don't know of any corporate travel TAs that use consolidator fare.
Yet there are indeed quite a few, many on my own customer list. It's easier to demonstrate a positive than a negative.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This discussion is making me wonder about the AmEx PTS/CTS two-for-one (and related discounted) international business class fares, usually at full J rates. It would be very annoying not to receive the class of service RDMs on these. Are these considered to be unpublished/consolidator fares? I would guess yes to unpublished as they're not available to the general public, only to certain AmEx cardholders.
I'm pretty sure those are published fares.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
You will note that I never addressed the MQM issue, only that there is a healthy market in consolidator fares, even by "corporate" TAs.
The MQM issue is the crux of the matter. The use of consolidators within Asia for business and leisure travel is extremely prevalent, but irrelevant to this discussion since those tickets would continue to earn full MQMs.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given Amex's relationship with DL I doubt they would rock the boat on those fares. Though I've been hard pressed to actually find a case when those two-for-ones saved any significant amount of money.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fti
But I am now realizing you are like pbarnette and mumper in thinking that Delta can do no wrong.
DL can and does do plenty of things that are wrong. This just doesn't seem to be one of them. I simply don't see large numbers of corporate travelers being caught out by this.

You have a different view, which is fine, but I simply disagree as to the applicability of it to the vast majority of those on this board. For example, you mention Pharoah's experience, but my reading of his/her posts seems to suggest they support a thesis that the impact will be limited as much or more than anything else.

You are concerned, it seems, with what could happen, while I am primarily concerned with what will happen. For now, I simply don't see much probability that this will impact many people (aside from those consciously booking a consolidator-type fare) and your vague references to having used fares such as these hardly seem like a particularly compelling counterpoint.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
It's akin to the folks who guy First Class fares off DL.com but end up with an UP fare. The likelihood of an IROP downgrade is pretty minor, but there's enough of it happening where we seem complaints on this board fairly regularly.
Except that the complaints on this board are rarely about new instances of actually being downgraded but references to past or even hypothetical instances. This constant rehashing of limited experience and hypotheticals obscures the reality, which is that, if you buy an -UP fare, you will almost certainly be sitting in F and that the risk is so minimal as to not be worth worrying about. But nevertheless, any thread on -UP fares seems to include an ominous warning about the risk.

Do we want this to be the same thing? Where we extrapolate from a handful of possible scenarios to create grave concern about unwittingly being caught out by this? I guess I've never been a fan of basing one's decision-making on worst-case scenarios and this is no exception. Is there some risk? Sure, but I don't think anyone has made a compelling case for that risk being more than minor.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Teamstone
I happen to work in the travel industry. I don't know of any corporate travel TAs that use consolidator fare. I do agree that DL may be "trial ballooning" this on these fares to see if there is any noise. If none, they may roll it out further.
+1. It fits the usual pattern of devaluation by a thousand cuts: a new cut every month or two weeks or so. Never too big to make much of an organized pushback. But combine the cuts of just a quarter, not even a year, into one and it's big -- just doesn't seeem like that as the rules change every second week or so, bit by bit, but surely..

Here just like T-72, this may be just the trial before a lot more (e.g. all L-U-T) fares mileage earning being devalued just a few short weeks later. And worst of all, while mileage earning basics may not be changing (though cuts to it are here, and more may come soon), as work on the new res. and loyalty system is still under way, FBATR (the worst possible thing that could happen by far) is still quite likely around the corner soon as well, which would be such a massive cut, though, there is no way to put that forth piecemeal.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
How often does your company purchase unpublished DL fares?
My current employer, I don't know. A previous employer did (at least, unpublished fares on some airlines, I don't know specifically about DL).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
And how often could a contracted TA use unpublished consolidator fares, in order to save them some $$ and add a bigger mark-up? I mean, it'd be tempting not to... if the company simply wants a set fare class or above and will pay the listed price for it, and the TA can get a consolidator fare for the same fare class for less than than the listed price, I am sure that at least some are going to jump on that opportunity, and simply fill the difference with their mark-up. Unless customer goes to look at the Delta receipt, and most probably don't, they'll never know, as they probably just go off the TA generated receipt. (And it is not clear how do consolidator fares differ on the DL generated e-mail receipts anyway.)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Use some common-frickin'-sense instead of your lunacy-based internet conspiracies. DL isn't going to do ANYTHING to jeopardize hard-earned corporate contracts. Look at the stupidity in those trying to stir the fear pot on here. If ANYTHING, they are going to weed out most of the lower-based FT-like junk customers to cater to corporate more.
There's no such thing as common sense. However in this case I agree it seems extremely unlikely that DL would want to anger their corporate customers.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by HongKonger
There's no such thing as common sense. However in this case I agree it seems extremely unlikely that DL would want to anger their corporate customers.
Oh really? What about business travelers, like many who post on FT, who are affected by the T-72 hour rule change on award tickets. In reality, DL has no mercy.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by fti
Oh really? What about business travelers, like many who post on FT, who are affected by the T-72 hour rule change on award tickets. In reality, DL has no mercy.
This from Skypesos rules-

Program Changes and Termination

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:31 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by hazelrah
This from Skypesos rules-

Program Changes and Termination

Delta and its program partners reserve the right to change program rules, benefits, regulations, Travel Awards, fees, mileage Award levels, and special offers at any time without notice.
Can and WILL change the rules!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.