Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WAS (all airports) to HNL via ATL award seats - none?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver

I am going BWI (or DCA, IAD) to HNL next June. 4 seats. Was hoping to use miles to go DL via ATL (at least for the return flight so maybe we could sleep an hour or two).

I can find flights going over (not through ATL) but coming back, checked this morning and no flights at all, or sometimes when I check coming back (for 135,000 miles each total) it's a crappy return.

I know last year I got super lucky - 4 seats both ways on the flight through ATL for 85,000 miles each. I can "spend" a bit more miles, but it is frustrating to look this far in advance and see basically nothing that works.

Any advice? For now I'll just keep checking every day. And on another airline as well (have AA miles but so far it's high level for them too).
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ExpertFlyer lists 40 (yes, forty) permitted routings WAS-HNL for Delta. Although not all are flown (WAS-HNL, for one) that is a good place to start. The 'How to search' sticky thread discusses one way point to point searches on delta.com.

EF shows two routing lines for AA:

1. WAS-STL/DFW/CHI-LAX-OGG-HNL
2. WAS-STL/DFW-LAX-OGG-HNL

If you really must do this on aircraft with international business seating with no more than two segments, your options are very few.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you really must do this on aircraft with international business seating with no more than two segments, your options are very few.
I know. I think I just got lucky before.

Going over it isn't such a big deal, stops and aircraft. Coming back, I would prefer the more lie flat type seats though! (Even though you can slide down a lot!).

I'm not good with EF but will look there for more info.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happymommy
Coming back, I would prefer the more lie flat type seats though!
One can understand that preference on a long red eye flight. It may be the preference of many, and can be expressed by people using $$$ to buy first class tickets or showing a readiness to redeem at medium or high award mileage levels.

Given your construct, try:

- doing a one-way search solely for the segment HNL-ATL to find low band;

- conducting those searches with passenger counts less than 4, such that you might get some tickets at low and the remainder in medium (Insufficient inventory - paid or award - in low pushes the whole party into a higher band if done as a single transaction.)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks - that's what I'll be doing. I'd rather have one or two lower award seats if possible (and my husband may have to come back early anyway, so putting him on his own itinerary isn't a bad idea).

Honestly, if I found the seats at 135,000 miles I"d take them now! We have enough Delta miles (if I transfer a few more from Amex) and I'd rather use them and save my AA ones.

Or yes, buy one ticket or so and use miles for the rest.

Now, if it were me, I'd do the kids in coach and us in first. My husband doesn't see the logic in that. Of course it's nice if they can fly with us but they're teens so I say suck it up!

Only problem with Delta flights I'm seeing is NO award seats at any level for the nonstop HNL-ATL for June 22 as of now. If I find that at any level, I'll book it. Hopefully within the next couple months of nail biting and daily checking!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Yikes did find a seat at 180,000 - at least I can find one now!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happymommy
Only problem with Delta flights I'm seeing is NO award seats at any level for the nonstop HNL-ATL for June 22 as of now.
I see HNL-ATL on 6/22 as high award band in First, whether looking for four seats or one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.