Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I must be flying on some sort of fancy new MD-88 today...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Gold
Cool! Going for a non-Concorde/Tu-144 commercial flight record I see
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Wow, over 49,000 feet! We would be very surprised to see you up where us bizjet guys fly. (Mostly 'cause airliners can't get there.)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Talking

Did the plane start to fall apart or burn upon re-entry?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
The mach calculator I pulled up to check this yields Mach 1.01. Congrats - you're on the first MD-88 to break the sound barrier! Surprised the aircraft is still in one piece ...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
The altitude is not realistic...the mad-dog is limited to something below 49000. (not sure what it is, but probably about 39000 or 41000) The speed on the other hand is completely realistic. The speed displayed is the ground speed...the speed at which the aircraft is moving over the ground. A typical jetliner travels at about 450 knots true airspeed (the speed over the ground in a no wind condition). Add in a 130 knot tail wind and now you have 580 knots. Add the 15% conversion to MPH and you have 667 MPH. That type of tail wind is very common when in the jetstream. Now, given that the flight was from MSP-ATL and the fact that altitude is obviously wrong, I am guessing that the speed is wrong as well, but keep in mind that it is entirely possible to have a GS of what seems to be higher than Mach 1. Mach number is based on true airspeed....not ground speed. The readout is ground speed.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by sushi lover
The altitude is not realistic...the mad-dog is limited to something below 49000. (not sure what it is, but probably about 39000 or 41000) The speed on the other hand is completely realistic. The speed displayed is the ground speed...the speed at which the aircraft is moving over the ground. A typical jetliner travels at about 450 knots true airspeed (the speed over the ground in a no wind condition). Add in a 130 knot tail wind and now you have 580 knots. Add the 15% conversion to MPH and you have 667 MPH. That type of tail wind is very common when in the jetstream. Now, given that the flight was from MSP-ATL and the fact that altitude is obviously wrong, I am guessing that the speed is wrong as well, but keep in mind that it is entirely possible to have a GS of what seems to be higher than Mach 1. Mach number is based on true airspeed....not ground speed. The readout is ground speed.
+1 on the speed & mach issue. Display is not CAS (Certified AirSpeed).
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
CAS is Calibrated Air speed.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
The mach calculator I pulled up to check this yields Mach 1.01.
Speed of sound varies with temperature. What temperature did you use?

At -30C it would be 699 mph
At -40C it would be 685 mph
At -50C it would be 670 mph
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by sushi lover
..the mad-dog is limited to something below 49000. (not sure what it is, but probably about 39000 or 41000)

For the record, it's FL370....and even that's relatively uncommon. We spend 90% of our time between FL300-350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.