Wiki Posts
Search

AVOD Revamped?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
AVOD Revamped?

I recently flew this week from SLC to JFK (connection). I noticed that the AVODs were more user friendly than last time. Now the selection boxes are at the bottom of the screen instead of the left. It also includes a new revamped flight tracker map and other stuff.

I was also able to watch Hunger Games, Wanderlust and A Thousand Words for free.

Is this revamped AVOD menu only available because I sat in F or is it because they revamped for coach and F?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
The revamped shell is nose to tail (they have been rolling it out internationally, looks like domestic is seeing some if it , too). The free movies are a perk of sitting in F. How did you manage to watch three movies? Food job/good focus
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I had the updated AVOD on a 757-200 from ATL-MCO while seated in Economy Comfort. The movies/tv specials/games were free which I found odd. Is this because I was seated in the Economy Comfort seats?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:23 pm

I saw the new interface last night in EC from PDX-ATL. Barely used it because I was on a red eye and slept the whole flight but the little bit I played with it was good. Liked the new flight tracker.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
I was on a 73 couple weeks ago with a new to me interface menu. By the time I got to JFK I absolutely hated it! Every button press suffered severe lag before it would do anything.

Flight tracker? OMG, that is/was a joke. At least the old blue screen rotation gave you local time of arrival. This design had a "time to destination" that was stuck at 00:00 the entire flight. Pitiful, just pitiful and a huge step back as far as I'm concerned.

With a well stocked iPad I care less about movies or even TV (except live sports/news) but TOA and other flight statistics have always been of interest to me. Once again they manage to take something away that I used to enjoy...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:39 pm

No problems with mine. It worked just fine. Maybe it's just a preference, I never look at the time of arrival, just the remaining time in flight. I'm not on a plane for another two weeks (thank goodness, I'm so tired) but if I have it on that flight I'll check it out a lot more.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Slightly unrelated. But are they still converting any non AVOD 738's or has that come to an end. What we got is what we got?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Had it last night on DL1405 from DTW-MCO. New interface was definitely an upgrade. The flight tracker map itself was a bit odd, but the stats were more detailed - even including the tail number.

A nice little step up from the previous version.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I noticed the flight tracker button recently on a 757, SEA-MSP, but was afraid to explore it because I didn't want to exit the movie I was watching.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I noticed the flight tracker button recently on a 757, SEA-MSP, but was afraid to explore it because I didn't want to exit the movie I was watching.
When you're done with the flight tracker, the movie resumes where you left off.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
The revamped shell is nose to tail (they have been rolling it out internationally, looks like domestic is seeing some if it , too). The free movies are a perk of sitting in F. How did you manage to watch three movies? Food job/good focus
I didnt watch three movies in FULL but saw a part of Hunger Games and most of A Thousand Words and Wanderlust.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
I still wish there was an easy way to go to a specific point in the movie, like being able to type in 1:30 and have it go to the 1 hour and 30 minute point in the movie. I can't count how many times I have gotten almost to the end of a movie on one flight, and had to spend 10 minutes on my next flight waiting for the horribly slow fast forward to get to the same point.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
This was on the 764s this past weekend. It is a little slow to respond and I wish there was a flight tracker button from the home screen but overall it was fine.

I like the flight tracker better than the old airshow as it allows you to navigate around the map and gives you all the pertinent info on demand rather than as part of the loop. Our flight had no problems with the time to arrival - it was pretty accurate.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are the advertisements that pop up every few minutes new? Noticed them dozens of times during the constant restarting of my movies all week. It would okay for 2-3 minutes then half the cabin would reboot...happened probably 10 times until the FAA brought her machine Ariund to offer compensation. I was surprised that everyone receives the same amount $50 DL $ or 5k miles regardless of status (other airlines offer incremental amounts). Anyone else having these constant reboot problems and seeing the ads?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
I was on the SFO-ATL flight in first this morning (757). The AVOD system worked through the whole flight without problems, but I did see those pop-up ads.

I was in the flight data screen for like an hour, wanted to check out the movies. Pop up.

Found nothing interesting and returned to flight data screen. Wanted to see the map like 30 mins later. Pressed the flight tracker button. Pop up.

Got one more pop up around 30 mins before landing when I want to look at the map again.

Turning off the screen won't let you skip the ad; when you turn it back on the ad will resume from where it's left off.

Annoying to say the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.