Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyWest plane stolen from St. George UT airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyWest plane stolen from St. George UT airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by robnsfla
I was out in that area back in May/June ....and this is another bad situation for an airport that I believe was recently redone...I believe 4 college age young adults decided to go joy riding in a plane at the St George airport at like 1230am and they crashed and all died....same airport...same time of night and only a month ago...the airport has some security issues...
One wonders whether this incident, which would have gotten a lot of local news coverage, gave him the idea to commit suicide by CRJ.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It's not fully-fueled. The fuel on board would have been just the reserves that were left when it arrived. The fuel load for the outbound flight won't be determined in 60 to 90 minutes before its next departure when the dispatcher prepared its flight release.
My mistake... I had inferred GA, yet didn't call it out.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by DXjr
... because a) They were departing south, and while that can be somewhat of a factor, it's irrelevant, because the pilot knew the area well enough, and he would have been able to climb out and maintain visual contact with both Mesquite and St. George while enroute. B) There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking off from an unattended airport; Pilots do it every day, night and day.

I'm going to wait for the final NTSB report before I pass judgement on their motivations.
The Cessna actually took off towards the north. NTSB report months away, but common and reasonable conjecture is that (1) A/C was overweight (4 pretty big guys), and/or (2) A/C was out of CG aft. Video shows it flying OK while still low and in ground effect, then a rapid climbing attitude and probable stall leading to the crash. Pilot may not have been able to get the nose down to avoid the stall. As I said, NTSB report still months away.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
The Cessna actually took off towards the north.
Irrelevant to the discussion. Even when taking off to the north, the eventual flight path would take him around the pattern, and he would depart to the south.

NTSB report months away, but common and reasonable conjecture is that (1) A/C was overweight (4 pretty big guys), and/or (2) A/C was out of CG aft. Video shows it flying OK while still low and in ground effect, then a rapid climbing attitude and probable stall leading to the crash. Pilot may not have been able to get the nose down to avoid the stall. As I said, NTSB report still months away.
That's certainly a possibility, but I'm going to wait for the final report.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Irrelevant to the discussion. Even when taking off to the north, the eventual flight path would take him around the pattern, and he would depart to the south
It's totally relevant. Which way was the wind blowing at the time? I don't know, but presume the pilot was aware enough to take off into the wind. What path he intended to take after takeoff is what's irrelevant to the discussion. He crashed on takeoff and didn't get far enough to even get into the pattern.

Anyway, we're off-topic.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 5:27 pm

It's totally relevant. Which way was the wind blowing at the time? I don't know, but presume the pilot was aware enough to take off into the wind. What path he intended to take after takeoff is what's irrelevant to the discussion. He crashed on takeoff and didn't get far enough to even get into the pattern.

Anyway, we're off-topic.
Reading it over again, I think I may have taken what you said there out of context. I'm not disagreeing with it. However, I will stand by my point that the direction of takeoff had zero relevance to whether he could conduct his flight safety in the area, on his intended route.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
They really don't have door locks.
That's it! Maybe someone who forgot locked the aircraft door or in the cockpit door. No one would sneaks into the entire aircraft.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
That's it! Maybe someone who forgot locked the aircraft door or in the cockpit door. No one would sneaks into the entire aircraft.
The only door that locks on an airliner is the cockpit door. This guy was a qualified Skywest pilot so he would know how to unlock the cockpit door.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Also you cannot lock the cockpit door from the outside. Only from the inside.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by saxman66
Also you cannot lock the cockpit door from the outside. Only from the inside.

Want to bet a beer on that?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Down3Green
Want to bet a beer on that?
I'll bet you a few beers on that one. The CRJ cockpit doors only lock from the inside. Others do have locks.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by saxman66
I'll bet you a few beers on that one. The CRJ cockpit doors only lock from the inside. Others do have locks.
I'll wager a 12 pack.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Mea Culpa, I didn't realize that you were limiting it strictly to CRJs in which case I'd have to plead ignorance and gladly pay up on the bet. However, I can assure you that I've been locked out of my own cockpit several times on various models of big boy planes by overzealous cleaning crews.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I'll wager a 12 pack.
No! Don't try to drink the beers. Got it? This is very bad for your own health. Just stay away from there.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More details have emerged about the disappearing Delta widget. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...lane-case.html

Some have also questioned why SkyWest painted over its logos on the damaged aircraft in the early morning hours following the incident — and why some employees were instructed to erase photos taken of the plane.

Without elaborating, a SkyWest spokeswoman called the decision to paint over the logos a "longstanding industry practice."

Arthur Yann, vice president of the New York based Public Relations Society of America, said it's not a common practice in the airline industry, but it has happened in the past with other airlines.

Yann, who works in public relations but not specifically for any airline company and is not an expert in airline operations, speculated that SkyWest wanted to protect the Delta brand name, since the aircraft Hedglin took belonged to Delta but was being operated by SkyWest.

Still, he said the practice of painting over the logo is one he would advise against.

"One of the hallmarks of good public relations is transparency," he said. "By going out and painting over the tail, I think that just raises more questions than it answers."

The public is generally very forgiving, Yann said. But by painting over a logo, it would appear that an airline is trying to hide something.
It sounds to me like painting over the tail backfired. Instead of directing attention away from Delta, it increased it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.