Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyWest plane stolen from St. George UT airport

Old Jul 17, 12, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat

Just saw a "breaking news" flasher on my TV for this.

Apparently, someone broke into the St. George, UT airport overnight and tried to joyride with one of the SkyWest planes. Sketchy details, but it sounds like they moved it on the ground, didn't make it into the air.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2129...cid=featured-1

St. George is the home of SkyWest.

The local TV station just also posted a picture - looks like it was a CRJ-200. Sounds like it was driven from where it was parked into the passenger parking lot...

Last edited by slidergirl; Jul 17, 12 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:01 am

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by slidergirl View Post
The local TV station just also posted a picture - looks like it was a CRJ-200. Sounds like it was driven from where it was parked into the passenger parking lot...
Perhaps someone forgot to put the wheel chocks in place?
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, US Airways Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Platinum, Hilton Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
Perhaps someone forgot to put the wheel chocks in place?
Given that the FBI is investigating, not likely.
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:51 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Wow!

That's my home airport, I flew out of there last night. That CRJ200 is in the passenger parking lot. Apparently some damage to the terminal as well. Good thing the perp didn't get it into the air!
Old Jul 17, 12, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
That was me, I got bored last night...
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:01 pm

Wow, this could have been bad! I think we're just lucky that who ever decided to take an "airplane joy ride" didn't attempt to take flight or cause some serious damage!
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
That was me, I got bored last night...
Like all things airport-security related, I wouldn't joke about that if I were you!
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by johnslloyd View Post
Like all things airport-security related, I wouldn't joke about that if I were you!
Most things airport-"security" related are a joke, so I don't think the poster should be concerned at all, nor should anyone else.
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:15 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Thankfully, no one was injured, and hopefully that CRJ200 is a write off.....
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
Thankfully, no one was injured, and hopefully that CRJ200 is a write off.....
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't insured.

If only more CR1s and CR2s were taken out of service...
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Most things airport-"security" related are a joke, so I don't think the poster should be concerned at all, nor should anyone else.
^

Plus I'll be very disappointed in my FBI if they can't obtain my IP address through some process of dubious legality, geolocate it to my location 1300 miles away, and figure out in about three seconds that I wasn't there. Especially since the guy committed suicide, and I'm still here posting away. Might brighten my day with a few good laughs.
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I wonder what the story is that led up to the plane being moved but not flown. Since at some point we'll know all the facts, and those may not be as interesting as FT theories, I'll throw out a few plausible scenarios:
  • The guy not know how to fly a plane, but managed to figure out how to move it, though not get it airborne.

• He knew how to fly, but realized that there wasn't enough fuel and thus decided to drive to the parking lot to siphon gas out of cars.

• Maybe someone just decided that MS Flight Simulator X wasn't realistic enough, so they wanted to try the real thing.

• Some DYKWIA decided that being first on the plane AFTER the pilots and crew just wasn't good enough for them, especially since the CRJ-200 doesn't have FC or EC, so they wanted to be the first and ONLY one on board and sit WAY up front!
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:24 pm
Suspended

How Nuts

Originally Posted by slidergirl View Post
Just saw a "breaking news" flasher on my TV for this.

Apparently, someone broke into the St. George, UT airport overnight and tried to joyride with one of the SkyWest planes. Sketchy details, but it sounds like they moved it on the ground, didn't make it into the air.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2129...cid=featured-1

St. George is the home of SkyWest.

Too nuts to be believed. Sure seems that this airline has a major, major security problem. No cameras? No guards? No dogs?
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This makes me question the security of every SkyWest aircraft when some random person can get access to them like this. I hope all of the planes parked in that airport we're checked before being used the next day.
Old Jul 17, 12, 12:31 pm

Story has been updated - apparently the thief committed suicide in the plane.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: