Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are the Peanuts going?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by dcline414
That was my thinking as well when my doctor told me after 26 years of eating these foods that I am allergic to them.

Maybe I should let the doctor write me that note so that I can board before the throngs of SP pax.
I must have been confused. I thought you were stating that you really were severely allergic to those items but continued to eat them. You should go back to that doctor while eating a piece of banana nut bread and inquire about the severe nut and gluten allergy, again
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by chiefkays
I can't speak for other peanut-allergy folks, but for me, the fumes make my mouth and nose itch if I breathe them in.
you serious, clark? it really is that sensitive?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mrredskin
you serious, clark? it really is that sensitive?
Unfortunately, yeah. Peanuts tend to be a very dusty snack. Peanut butter is actually easier to be around as it doesn't fill the air with as many little particles.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by chiefkays
Unfortunately, yeah. Peanuts tend to be a very dusty snack. Peanut butter is actually easier to be around as it doesn't fill the air with as many little particles.
interesting. i did not know that!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Effective 01 June 2012, DL will no longer serve peanuts or peanut products (trail mix, etc) on flights that have someone with an allergy - assuming they notified DL, of course.
This just affected me on a flight last Monday. The flight was from 10:30 to 1:00, so I was planning to use my HOOU for a snack box since I wouldn't have a chance to grab lunch.

Much to my dismay, the FA announced that she was very sorry, but they would be unable to serve peanuts or any items for purchase containing nuts due to a passenger with a nut allergy. A review of the food options available for purchase will reveal that both snack boxes contain nuts, as do all of the a la carte items except Pringles. I don't know about others, but I consider eating nothing but Pringles to be a very meager and unhealthy meal.

If peanut allergies are so common, and now prevent entire flights from having any real food on board, I think they need to reevaluate their snack box offerings. At very least they could add a third choice, at least on meal-time flights that cannot serve the other snack packs.

I could definitely see a snack box offering with (fake) cheese, crackers, olive pate, veggie chips, and/or dehydrated fruit doing quite well as a healthy nut-free offering.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was on a flight a couple of weeks ago where they announced there was a food allergy and no peanuts would be served. A few minutes later, the FA brought the snack basket around along with a tray of peanuts. I told her I thought there was a peanut allergy case on board and she said there was and that if took the peanuts, not to open them on board the aircraft. She also stated she knows how much some of her customers like peanuts. I grabbed 3 bags and put them in my backpack.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:08 am
Suspended

No Peanut Flights Do Happen

Happened on a flight last week.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
delete

Last edited by robnsfla; Sep 9, 2012 at 8:41 am Reason: too ridiculous
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by yohanson
I was on a flight a couple of weeks ago where they announced there was a food allergy and no peanuts would be served. A few minutes later, the FA brought the snack basket around along with a tray of peanuts. I told her I thought there was a peanut allergy case on board and she said there was and that if took the peanuts, not to open them on board the aircraft. She also stated she knows how much some of her customers like peanuts. I grabbed 3 bags and put them in my backpack.
^^^

I am sympathetic to those with allergies (I have some), and now and then I do see people boarding with masks, and assume they have their epi pens or other items.

However, if somebody declares they have a peanut or other air/dust born allergy that requires preventing rest of a/c from access to food/snacks, why cannot the carrier either take other steps. For example require, or make a strong statement of suggestions that they will do what they can (e.g. DLs current policy statement) plus the passenger also do things such as wear a mask, make sure they have medicines, epi pens, or other preventive measures.

What if DL is pre-notified there cannot will be a peanut or other allergy on board, make an announcement in the gate area prior to boarding so all passengers can be appropriately notified and prepared. To the previous poster who mentioned DL taking a proactive or litigation defensive position, concur, that what it appears to be, however then why not take additional steps.

If DL is notified in advance (e.g. time of booking), then proper or alternate catering can be done to accommodate the rest of the passengers and if last minute due to IROPS or something else, make a best effort vs. the approach now being used.

Fwiw, not sure if due to the new policy, however have had the peanuts pulled on several flights in the past month on DL and WN.

On one recent flight an adult well dressed women made sure that everybody seated in F could hear her tell the FA that she was “the Special Passenger with peanut allergy” (I kid you not) and then proceeded to be seated just behind F in row 5.

Of course, no peanuts and a subsequent run on alternate snacks during the 3+-hour flight during which the “Special Passenger” leveraged her status to “parade” through F cabin on her way to/from restroom or get things from the FAs in the galley. In the case of the “Special Passenger”, a mask would have collided with her fashion wardrobe. However odd she wanted to be noticed, however not for wearing a mask.

-H
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
If a PAX has an allergy they should be wearing a mask.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I am sure DL doesn't serve nuts on flights where they have been alerted by someone with an allergy in order to limit their possible liability. But, as poorly cleaned as many DL planes are between legs there are often peanuts in the nooks and crannies of the seats and certainly on the floor. Considering how many people claim that the merest hint of peanut will send them into an allergic reaction (and yes, I do believe that is certainly true for a small percentage of sufferers) am I the only one who finds it miraculous that there aren't frequent 'incidents' on DL (or any airline that serves peanuts)?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:58 pm

Happened last week JFK-LHR. At least there was a meal, though.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Exactly. Diabetes has killed millions more than the peanut allergy but apparently their lives are considered to be without value because many diabetics are fat. A shame.

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Geez I hope not. It is the only snack in coach or first that isn't loaded with carbs. Now if they replaced them with meat sticks and jerky it might be another story.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I am sure DL doesn't serve nuts on flights where they have been alerted by someone with an allergy in order to limit their possible liability. But, as poorly cleaned as many DL planes are between legs there are often peanuts in the nooks and crannies of the seats and certainly on the floor. Considering how many people claim that the merest hint of peanut will send them into an allergic reaction (and yes, I do believe that is certainly true for a small percentage of sufferers) am I the only one who finds it miraculous that there aren't frequent 'incidents' on DL (or any airline that serves peanuts)?
I would think we'd hear about at least one emergency landing a year due to it...at least on FT.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by yohanson
I would think we'd hear about at least one emergency landing a year due to it...at least on FT.
And a request for guidance on how much compensation should be requested .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.