Are the Peanuts going?

Old Jul 11, 12, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Are the Peanuts going?

I know that most of Delta flyers want those three little nuts but for someone like myself who suffers from a severe allergy, my options are limited when it comes to flying. I noticed on their website that they are changing their policy from providing a buffer to not serving them at all if you alert them. I know that Southwest has a similar policy and could this be a sign that they are on the way out? If not when? My primary airport is SEA and other than AS, Delta and Southwest rule.
Old Jul 11, 12, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
On a flight last weekend, the FA announced no peanuts would be served due to a pax with a peanut allergy. First time I'd heard that.
Old Jul 11, 12, 4:40 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
I believe this new system went into effect around June 1. Details as noted on Delta.com:

Peanut Allergies

When you notify us that you have a peanut allergy, we'll refrain from serving peanuts and peanut products onboard your flight. We'll also advise cabin service to board additional non-peanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.

Gate agents will be notified in case you'd like to pre-board and cleanse the immediate seating area. We'll do everything we can, but unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.
Old Jul 11, 12, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
We'll do everything we can, but unfortunately we still can't guarantee that the flight will be completely peanut-free.
It's sad they need this disclaimer. I'm sure anyone with a peanut allergy is aware that any public place cannot be guaranteed to be peanut free. This is an airplane, not a sterile ICU.

So is this the new preboard loophole for those who don't care about getting peanuts?

Last edited by dcline414; Jul 11, 12 at 4:59 pm
Old Jul 11, 12, 5:08 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
It's sad they need this disclaimer. I'm sure anyone with a peanut allergy is aware that any public place cannot be guaranteed to be peanut free. This is an airplane, not a sterile ICU.

So is this the new preboard loophole for those who don't care about getting peanuts?
One can only guess how many lawyers were involved in drafting that verbiage. Perhaps based on prior claims? At least they didn't go so far to say...if you require pre-board due to peanut allergy you will be required to produce an epi pen (or similar treatment) to prove you are covered in the event of an attack.

OP please don't take my retort the wrong way, I'm not picking on those with peanut allergies, I know it's a serious issue. IMHO the language simply speaks to the litigious society that the U.S. has become on all levels of 'it's not my fault.'
Old Jul 11, 12, 6:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
On my flight this week from ATL-Louisville they made a similar announcement once we began to taxi to the runway but also mentioned that alternative snacks would be available. I was in "F" so I don't know what the offerings were in the back. In "F" we had chips, crackers, pretzels, but no fruit. 1 hour 20 minute flight but got 3 beverage services in "F" and several passes of the snack tray.
Old Jul 11, 12, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Geez I hope not. It is the only snack in coach or first that isn't loaded with carbs. Now if they replaced them with meat sticks and jerky it might be another story.
Old Jul 11, 12, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Yep, was on a flight last week where they announced no peanuts.
Old Jul 11, 12, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I almost always have a bag of peanuts and my peanut butter crackers with me, so if you are on the same flight I am on touch luck.
Old Jul 11, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by rthib View Post
I almost always have a bag of peanuts and my peanut butter crackers with me, so if you are on the same flight I am on touch luck.
Me too and Delta's decision not to serve peanuts isn't going to stop me from eating what I brought on board.
Old Jul 11, 12, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
I hate the peanuts. So all I have to do is claim allergy and I can guarantee alternate options? Can I claim peanut contamination in Y forcing me into F?
Old Jul 11, 12, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
On my flight last weekend, an announcement was made that a pax had a peanut allergy and that no peanuts would be served.

While I am empathetic, I'd like to understand more as to why this policy was put in place? Did DL experience an increase inflight medical emergencies, complaints, medical diversions, or lawsuits? I'm sure DL wants to be as inclusive as possible to all passengers but where does an organization draw the line? I often travel with fruit and nut bars that contain peanuts. If peanuts are not being served on the flight due to a pax allergy am I not suppose to eat the snack I brought onboard? (this was not part of the announcement last weekend and I did not eat one of my bars). Are airlines being specifically targeted due to: close confinement, re-circulated air, and traveling at 35,000 feet with medical help far away (time)? What other organizations, industries, companies will/should institute similar policies -- for example, will peanuts be banned from baseball stadiums?

How is this policy being enforced? Does a pax have to note it at booking? Call Delta ahead of time? Have medical records indicating a peanut allergy? What prevents a Zone 3 pax from claiming a peanut allergy just to board before "those needing extra time" so that they have overhead space?
Old Jul 11, 12, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FitTraveler View Post
What prevents a Zone 3 pax from claiming a peanut allergy just to board before "those needing extra time" so that they have overhead space?
Sadly, it will probably happen.
Old Jul 11, 12, 9:40 pm

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but is this really necessary?

I understand some people have an allergic reaction to peanuts. However, where does Delta draw the line with inconveniencing an entire aircraft full of people because of one person? I am allergic to cats, does that mean that no one should be allowed to travel with cats in the cabin on any flight I'm on? I know cats v. peanuts isn't exactly the same, but I think the point is still valid.

Also, there have been many studies done, most recently by a Harvard pediatrician that say unless the allergic person actually eats the peanut product, the risk of any kind of reaction is little, and the risk of a serious reaction is pretty much nil. Just being around peanuts will not cause a person to have a major reaction, that is an exaggerated belief and has been discredited through studies. Even if the person was worried about inhaling peanut dust, they could wear a surgical mask to filter out any dust in the air.

I always go for pretzels, so I really don't care. But situations like this really call on the individual to take personal responsibility (wear a mask, long clothes if concerned about oil) rather then relying on someone else to do it. I know most on here will say "it's just peanuts, who cares?" I really don't, but where do we draw the line?
Old Jul 11, 12, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Alaska737890 View Post
I know that most of Delta flyers want those three little nuts but for someone like myself who suffers from a severe allergy, my options are limited when it comes to flying. I noticed on their website that they are changing their policy from providing a buffer to not serving them at all if you alert them. I know that Southwest has a similar policy and could this be a sign that they are on the way out? If not when? My primary airport is SEA and other than AS, Delta and Southwest rule.
Don't eat the peanuts.

Every real blinded study that looked at this issue failed to show that one can not suffer an allergic reaction from just proximity, Either injestion or very heavy dust levels are needed.

But if you do believe in this fairy tail, then do not fly at all because there will certainly be peanut dust left in the seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: