Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The LAX T5 - T6 Tunnel - more than you ever wanted to know

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
We should make a game where a bunch of people go down there and everyone gets a bowling ball. You have to see how far down the tunnel you can roll it without hitting the wall. Points given based on distance. Winners get Biscoff.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Just to be clear, one can go from T5 to T6, T6 to T7, and T7 to T8 (so all the way from 5 to 8 potentially, albeit a LONG walk) without leaving the secured area?
Yes, airside walkway from 8 to 6, and then down into the tunnel to get over to 5.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I searched all over the LAX official site, and even the terminal maps don't show the tunnels.

I am aware of T6 to T7. Just to be clear, one can go from T5 to T6, T6 to T7, and T7 to T8 (so all the way from 5 to 8 potentially, albeit a LONG walk) without leaving the secured area?
Somehow the walk landside along the curb doesn't seem that long.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
We should make a game where a bunch of people go down there and everyone gets a bowling ball. You have to see how far down the tunnel you can roll it without hitting the wall. Points given based on distance. Winners get Biscoff.
It might be more fun to count the number of times the ball bounces off opposite walls zigzag fashion.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It might be more fun to count the number of times the ball bounces off opposite walls zigzag fashion.
See that would be better with a golf ball. Or we could set up various buckets down the corridor and you could try and bounce said golf ball into them. Winner gets a HOOU coupon.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:19 pm

I searched all over the LAX official site, and even the terminal maps don't show the tunnels.

I am aware of T6 to T7. Just to be clear, one can go from T5 to T6, T6 to T7, and T7 to T8 (so all the way from 5 to 8 potentially, albeit a LONG walk) without leaving the secured area?
I did this Saturday night. Flew into Terminal 8 from BOS, walked all the way to the Delta Sky Club in T5 for a shower. Would've been a shorter walk landside but I didn't feel like the security hassle. The T5-T6 tunnel is airside.

Also, if you have time, skip the Sky Club zoo and walk the tunnel to the new Alaska Boardroom in T6. It's new, nice, and usually much less crowded.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was asking because the post I quoted suggested going to T6 if T5 has long lines. It's not clear that a kettle line would be shorted than elite and/or precheck in T5, but if T6 has the elite and precheck lines that can be used by DL passengers, going to T6 to save time could be worthwhile.
I live in LA and travel just about weekly out of/into LAX. I make it a point of checking whether I am flying out of T5 or T6 and simply use the security line for the terminal I am flying out of -- and have never experienced some of the T5 security line issues at T6. However, I do this not because I have some sort of aversion to the tunnel that everyone seems to enjoy but simply because I dont like getting to the airport too far in advance but yet I want to enjoy either the SC or the Boardroom for a pre-departure beverage and to relax for a moment. Given that most flights out of LAX start boarding 40 minutes in advance, adding in the travel tunnel time makes it a waste and has caused me to miss some pre-departure relaxation. By the way, I LOVE the Boardroom and prefer it over the SC in T5 anyday because I always seems to be just about the only person there. Meanwhile, the SC is always busy based upon my experience.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
Also, if you have time, skip the Sky Club zoo and walk the tunnel to the new Alaska Boardroom in T6. It's new, nice, and usually much less crowded.
Agree - if you're a full SkyClub member, go to the Boardroom. Downside is that it closes at 10 PM, so redeye fliers may still be SOL. Was there last week, and Boardroom was blissfully quiet. When it closed, walked over to SkyClub to finish out my layover before a redeye, and couldn't even find an empty seat. Ended up finding a seat at the gate and just waited there til boarding.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This quote from the article is wrong. There's is no airside connection from T5 to T4. I wish there was. You can, however, stay airside between T5, T6, T7, T8
There is a tunnel between T4 and T5. It's currently closed off and used as a storage room for vacuums, floor waxing machines etc.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SP Plat, Hilton Gold

I went through it for the first time last year on the Fri before Carmageddon. I happened to go down the escalator behind DL Hughley, and as we came around the corner to look down the tunnel, he turned to me and said "This is some creepy-a$$ sh!t, isn't it?" I had to agree.....
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM & Kryptonium, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
It looks like one of those psychiatric research facilities that you see in the movies.

That's a weird image...and at the end, a black hole
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rayraf
This creeps me out that I was down there to explore the new T6 Boardroom. In fact, I even planned to get to the airport relatively early for exactly this purpose.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by CalVol
I once got sent back and forth between the terminals because of a change of gates/planes. The first time I walked it. The 2nd time I jumped on the cart, and the cart died about 1/4 of the way. So, I ended up walking most of it again.
did you get any bonus skymiles for the breakdown?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rayraf
reminds me of the show, Get Smart, for some reason.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I did this Saturday night. Flew into Terminal 8 from BOS, walked all the way to the Delta Sky Club in T5 for a shower. Would've been a shorter walk landside but I didn't feel like the security hassle. The T5-T6 tunnel is airside.

The Boardroom is much nicer and way less crowded than the Sky Club. But...I was a bit surprised when I asked for a Jack and coke, and there was a charge. The only free liquor seems to be very low shelf. Not a big deal if not a drinker, but for those who like to imbibe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.