Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest M Class Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Fly into and out of HND rather than NRT

2. Look for I and especially S deep discount BE fares if you're allowed to purchase business class.

3. Connect through PDX.

4. Buy tickets exZZZ, where ZZZ-NRT/HND is an especially competitive route, perhaps LAX or JFK. Buy a separate ticket SEA-ZZZ and allow lots of time for the connection. If possible, overnight at ZZZ and avoid checking luggage.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
M fares are usually much cheaper when originating outside the U.S. If one travels/commutes frequently internationally, it may be worth it to do a one way to the non-US destination, and then start purchasing M roundtrips from the non-US destination instead.
+1

S.E. Asia <> US is always an easy $3k ticket w/o searching. Getting Z does take an EF subscription or a lot of luck.

I have been flying "backwards" now for 10 years, it works well across the board.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Sometimes I see a lot of seats left on the same day as travel but the prices are really high even last minute.

Is there a place which sells Delta tickets for discount when lots of seats are available same day of travel with a lot of empty bookings?

You would think they would rather some revenue than none on these seats.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by avidflyer
+1
+2^
I fly frequently from PIT to MNL, and I found it was about half price if I booked an M fare from MNL to PIT than it was for PIT to MNL. I can usually find an M fare in the $2200 to $2700 range, compared to well over $5400 going from the US to Asia.

I booked a one way ticket to MNL and from then on I have booked MNL>PIT M fares and used SWU or miles to upgrade to BE. Has worked out well for me.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by fsx222
I understand. My budget is $3.5K, but round trip flights between SEA and TYO are not less than $4.2k. I am wondering if there is a way find a price closer to $3.5K.
As has been said, fly to HND. Looks like you can do under $3500 pretty much any day. Here's a sample that fits your requested dates:
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mtkeller
As has been said, fly to HND. Looks like you can do under $3500 pretty much any day. Here's a sample that fits your requested dates:
Class M - Upgradeable, transoceanic & domestic (also eligible for D511 mileage award domestic upgrade). If using miles it's 12,500 Skymiles each way

Last edited by adamj023; Jun 8, 2012 at 2:05 am
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by adamj023
Class M - Upgradeable, transoceanic & domestic (also eligible for D511 mileage award domestic upgrade). If using miles it's 12,500 Skymiles each way
Try again. 12,500 is for domestic upgrades from eligible fares or trans-Pacific from full Y. It's 25K for North America-Japan via the Pacific from M.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:44 am

and I don't believe SWU's or SkyPesos upgrades work on code-shared Alaska flights (but then again, I haven't tried to do this since NWA was obliterated).
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
and I don't believe SWU's or SkyPesos upgrades work on code-shared Alaska flights (but then again, I haven't tried to do this since NWA was obliterated).
Correct per the T&C of SWUs at least. Not sure about using pesos. That said, the only valid routing (that won't drive the fare up because of distance increase) is SEA-LAX-HND. (It's actually a specified routing in the fare rules, since it would otherwise be over the MPM.) I'd gladly sit in the back SEA-LAX-SEA in order to save $1000 on an M fare and get upgraded on the flights that matter.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Except thst getting off of a BE flight to sit in domestic Y is like being demoted.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Are there any places to look for M-class tickets? Such as searching Kayak.com, expedia, etc that have the option for M-class tickets only?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:52 pm

goodandclassy already linked to Wandering Aramean's upgradeable fares tool in this post. I like ITA matrix, although you'll have to piece things together on DL.dumb with search by schedule or just call to book. If you want DL M fares, just put in "DL+ /f bc=M" in the advanced routing codes boxes (both directions) without the quotes around it. If you know you're semi-flexible in origin/destination, you could do something like SEA, YVR, PDX, SFO, LAX for origin and NRT, KIX, HND, PEK, NGO, BKK, SIN for the destination. Once you start seeing fares you like, you can remove some of the cities for it to show you more routing options.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by adamj023
Wrong. TPAC upgrades are 25,000 miles each way except from full Y.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by fsx222
Are there any places to look for M-class tickets? Such as searching Kayak.com, expedia, etc that have the option for M-class tickets only?
Advanced search on delta.dumb, search by fare class M or higher.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
M fares are usually much cheaper when originating outside the U.S. If one travels/commutes frequently internationally, it may be worth it to do a one way to the non-US destination, and then start purchasing M roundtrips from the non-US destination instead.
I have had good luck purchasing a one-way ticket from US and then a one-way M return. For some reason, tickets from SFO and SEA are often cheap one-way, and I don't mind coach on the westbound portion. Then I upgrade the eastbound one-way M fare. The M-fare one-way from Asia is often much less than half the round trip fare.

Maybe I shouldn't advertise that trick!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.