Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's 757-200 fleet: 8 configurations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's 757-200 fleet: 8 configurations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MS02113
I believe that Delta's 757 sub-fleet, comprised of 170 aircraft, is the largest in the world. It would cost a fair amount to reconfigure so many aircraft. Also, some of them are getting old and will be replaced with new 737-900s within the next few years.

Basically, Delta's decided that reconfiguration's not worth the investment.
I really like the 757 so I will miss them. The 752s are my favorite narrow-body airliner.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by houserulz77
IIRC Delta was the first US airline to go smoke-free on domestic flights (~1990) I think. Perhaps other airlines saw the "mini-cabin" as a smoking section, while DL had no need for one.
Actually NW led the vanguard in 1988:

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/24/us...t-flights.html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Note that not all ex-NW 757s have the 8 door layout; only the older 5500-series aircraft do. The 5600-series have the same exit layout as the PMDL fleet.

As I said, whichever 75Xs get replaced by 739ERs, Delta can transplant their seats and IFE systems onto newer 757s (which includes the 5600-series PMNW aircraft) and have them match the 75X layout.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Sabai
Actually NW led the vanguard in 1988:

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/24/us...t-flights.html
I guess my theory went "up in smoke!"
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:45 am

If Delta truly is going to convert the non-75A 5600's to domestic use (sending the 75A's to Japan) they should convert them all to 24F 757 configuration. That would drastically cut down on the number of configurations. The 5500's are among Delta's oldest 757 and a ....... configuration so it would make sense that they go when the 739's come in. The ex-Singapore/ATA 757's are always going to be its own subfleet but unless they plan on ETOPS for 738/739 (depending on range) they will be needed for Hawaii flights
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:13 am

Perhaps some of our PMNW "old-timers" could weigh in, but one thing comes to mind: the "mini-cabin" seems perfect for a smoking section.
Eastern had the same configuration with the mini-cabin in back, and that indeed was the smoking section.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
If Delta truly is going to convert the non-75A 5600's to domestic use (sending the 75A's to Japan) they should convert them all to 24F 757 configuration. That would drastically cut down on the number of configurations. The 5500's are among Delta's oldest 757 and a ....... configuration so it would make sense that they go when the 739's come in. The ex-Singapore/ATA 757's are always going to be its own subfleet but unless they plan on ETOPS for 738/739 (depending on range) they will be needed for Hawaii flights
The 739ERs will be ETOPS from the factory. I'd expect the 75Vs will be replaced.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:01 am

My observation is the PMNW 757 have more closets. I think part of that is they expected a good deal of the pax to travel with bulky winter coats. My father was a real old timer NW Frequent Traveler and he recalls always traveling with a garment bag in the 80-90s that the FA would gladly hang in the closet.

As a side effect that meant there was plenty of room for cutouts in the F bulkheads. The other PMNW oddity that DL got right of right away was the F footrests.

One thing to keep in mind is at the time these planes were put into service exit rows could not be assign until the pax arrived at the airport. I was often able to score choice seats on the intra-Asia segments because I was able to get the seats assigned in MSP. I would speculate that the door set up may have been for operational reasons given the capacity was a wash.

As to the OP, having gotten hoodwinked into a DL (or may ex TWA?) 757 where my knees were practically against the bulkhead and my feet had nowhere to go, I would take the PMNW plane sans IFE any day.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by motytrah
As to the OP, having gotten hoodwinked into a DL (or may ex TWA?) 757 where my knees were practically against the bulkhead and my feet had nowhere to go, I would take the PMNW plane sans IFE any day.
The bird changed again, now it's a 75N, still no IFE. Why all the changes, I wonder?

I agree, the bulkheads are very tight (much better on PMNW). But, this is a 5-hour flight, and it's the second flight in 5 weeks where the 75X this has been substituted with another config. on this long route. I chose the flight partly for the IFE and in-seat power. Oh well...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Perhaps some of our PMNW "old-timers" could weigh in, but one thing comes to mind: the "mini-cabin" seems perfect for a smoking section. IIRC Delta was the first US airline to go smoke-free on domestic flights (~1990) I think. Perhaps other airlines saw the "mini-cabin" as a smoking section, while DL had no need for one.

Purely conjecture, but either way, airlines order slight variations (i.e. RR vs. GE engines) of aircraft all the time, based on many factors.
DL764 and Sabai caught both of these already, but I'd already posted when I saw their posts.

I thought NW was the first US major airline to go smoke free? See Chicago Tribune, 4/11/88 http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...hwest-airlines

Also, I know I've flown on NW 757-200s with overwing exits -- did those all leave the fleet already?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I wonder if all the configurations bothers us (PAX) more than it bothers DL.

It's got to cause some pain to DL to have all of these different configurations.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:02 pm

The original version of the 752 is the 8 door variety that predominantly made up the NW fleet, and has a greater maximum capacity (239 vs. 224) than the 6 door, 4 over-wing exit version overwhelmingly used by Delta. I'm sure it was a matter of preference, and interestingly enough, the two types as primarily configured at the merger had nearly identical capacities.
For two-class layouts, where the total capacity will be nowhere near the maximum, overwing exits make sense. The overwing exits allow more seats in the economy cabin because it only requires a few more inches of seat pitch in each exit row, while the small door requires about a 30 inch cross aisle.

For high-density single-class charter layouts, the dedicated exit may work better. Also, most European countries require more exits. British Airways configures its 763s with three large exits and a behind wing small door.

I notice the 737-900ER has the small exit behind the wing as standard, probably due to the overseas low-cost carriers who launched the 739, but while it is there, it is replaced with a filler panel with a passenger window on CO's 739ERs. This is the only external difference between CO's 739 and 739ER.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
Also, I know I've flown on NW 757-200s with overwing exits -- did those all leave the fleet already?
Nope, those are the newer 5600-series aircraft. The older 5500-series aircraft have the 8 doors. I'd expect that the 739ER order will replace all the 5500-series, as well as older PMDL 757s (including the 75Vs).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:03 pm

Some LCC 739ER's also have the big door at the back as well, rather than an overwing-style window door IIRC
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Is F pitch really tight on the 75X ?

I'm surprised at the fondness expressed by some for the 75X layout. AFAIK the 75X is the only config where 7 rows are squeezed into the F cabin - wouldn't this make the pitch in F much tighter for all rows in the cabin ?

I've only flown a 75X once, in 2D (the bulkhead window on the port side). As a NW and now DL Plat, I've sat in 757 bulkhead seats many times and enjoyed it, but on this 75X, the pitch was so tight I was miserable the entire flight (I'm just 6' 0" tall).

Things didn't look quite as tight in the starboard-side bulkhead seats (1A and 1B) - was my perception correct ? How about the 75X non-bulkhead seat pitch - is it bad with those 7 (vs 6) rows squeezed into the cabin ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.