Delta's 757-200 fleet: 8 configurations

Old Jun 6, 12, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM; AA EXP; DL SM/MM; AClub, PC Plat; HH, MR Gold
Delta's 757-200 fleet: 8 configurations

I've got yet another 757 equipment swap tomorrow, from a 75X with personal videos to a plain 757 with only overhead videos. These substitutions are frustrating, as it always seems I get a less desirable plane. This leads me to ask:

Why does Delta continue with 8 different seating configurations? I can understand 2 or 3, but 8 seems ridiculous to me. I haven't heard of any reconfigs in the works, either. Thoughts?
Old Jun 6, 12, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
Why does Delta continue with 8 different seating configurations? I can understand 2 or 3, but 8 seems ridiculous to me. I haven't heard of any reconfigs in the works, either. Thoughts?
I believe that Delta's 757 sub-fleet, comprised of 170 aircraft, is the largest in the world. It would cost a fair amount to reconfigure so many aircraft. Also, some of them are getting old and will be replaced with new 737-900s within the next few years.

Basically, Delta's decided that reconfiguration's not worth the investment.
Old Jun 6, 12, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage
I really hope that whichever 75Xs get replaced by 739ERs get their seats and IFE transplanted onto newer 757s that currently lack AVOD (such as the ex-NW 5600-series). The 75X fleet includes both older and newer aircraft (for example, N610DL the former Pink 757 is a 1985 build, while N67171 is a 2001 build).
Old Jun 6, 12, 6:59 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
While it would be nice, there is only so much you can do with the 757 fleet.

First, you have the PMNW 753s. These are different aircraft, and thus you can't configure them to match the remaining fleet.

Then you have the PMNW vs. PMDL 752s with a domestic configuration. NW opted for the extra doors as opposed to the over-wing exits (8 doors vs. 6 doors and 4 window exits). Again, the airframe is different, so you cannot do much in the way of alteration.

The 752s with BE are configured for Int'l (or cross-country) travel and thus need a different configuration.

So in truth, you have only a few separate PMDL 752 domestic configurations. Some have AVOD and some do not (mostly a result of planes that flew for Song vs. planes that were always in the DL mainline fleet), but in terms of lay-out, the differences are negligible.

I don't disagree that getting swapped from an AVOD-equipped aircraft to one that has the overhead TVs is annoying, but given that the 739 is going to replace these aircraft over the next decade, there are more important things DL could spend money on.
Old Jun 6, 12, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
I'm just hoping that post-EC install we can get accurate seat maps on Seat Guru. For instance, I'm currently on a V75 (75V with EC) and the F section has great legroom with 5 rows on the AB side and 6 on the CD side, all with leg rests. It is confusing. At least install AVOD on all the 757 fleet so customers get a consistent experience.
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:12 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Just curious - how can you look up the specific configuration for an upcoming flight? Does DL post this information somewhere?
Old Jun 6, 12, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
For the aircraft that will be retired within the next 5 years they should stay how they are.

Any 6 door 757 should go to 75X with EC configuration.

Any 8 door 757 should go to BE configuration.

753 has its own configuration.

Simple as that.
Old Jun 6, 12, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Just curious - how can you look up the specific configuration for an upcoming flight? Does DL post this information somewhere?
Pull up the seat map. Then go to Seat Guru and compare; although with the changes for EC, the seat maps are not always accurate. If you want an accurate map, albeit without the detailed descriptions, Delta provides updated maps on their site.

Originally Posted by N639DL View Post
For the aircraft that will be retired within the next 5 years they should stay how they are.

Simple as that.
All of the 757s have EC now. As I mentioned up-thread, even if DL tried to consolodate, the best they could do would be:

757-300
757-200 PMDL (6 doors, 4 window exits)
757-200 PMNW (8 doors)
757-200 BE Configuration

Beyond these types, the differences are negligible (unless you pick a seat that is absent on some types and then there is an equip. change). Given that DL uses a lot of the 752 Domestics on short-haul, high-density routes (i.e. ATL-FL) and with the huge order for 739s placed, I don't see them investing in AVOD for aircraft that do 90 minute turns all day.
Old Jun 7, 12, 12:04 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by FlytheTail View Post
At the Delta DO a while back, someone in tech ops indicated there were plans to reduce to 4 configs (PMDL 8-door ETOPS w/J, PMNW 10-door ETOPS w/J, 8 and 10 door domestic w/F). I suspect this plan got scrapped with plans to replace most of this fleet with 739s.
Old Jun 7, 12, 12:33 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Curious: what are the advantages to 6 or 8 doors? Why did Delta and NW order the way they did?

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jun 7, 12 at 12:58 am
Old Jun 7, 12, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Curious: why are the advantages to 6 or 8 doors? Why did Delta and NW order the way they did?
The original version of the 752 is the 8 door variety that predominantly made up the NW fleet, and has a greater maximum capacity (239 vs. 224) than the 6 door, 4 over-wing exit version overwhelmingly used by Delta. I'm sure it was a matter of preference, and interestingly enough, the two types as primarily configured at the merger had nearly identical capacities.
Old Jun 7, 12, 1:02 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by houserulz77 View Post
The original version of the 752 is the 8 door variety that predominantly made up the NW fleet, and has a greater maximum capacity (239 vs. 224) than the 6 door, 4 over-wing exit version overwhelmingly used by Delta. I'm sure it was a matter of preference, and interestingly enough, the two types as primarily configured at the merger had nearly identical capacities.

But there must be a reason why a carrier would have preferred one over the other? IIRC, the NW configuration sort of has two coach cabins--there is a bulk head in the middle of Y.....was this ever meant to be a three class plane? (though that would be a very large J class)?
Old Jun 7, 12, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by N639DL View Post

Simple as that.
How many 8-door 757-200s are there, and is there a reasonable route network to sustain a suitable volume of flying for them in a 16J configuration?

I don't think anything but time and about $14 Billion in new aircraft deliveries is gong to solve the problem of 757-200 complexity. Entry to the fleet of current aircraft stretches from ~1985 to ~2000. Many are too old to bother spending money to reconfigure, yet a good number will still be flying a decade from now.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jun 7, 12 at 8:22 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
How many 8-door 757-200s are there, and is there a reasonable route network to sustain a suitable volume of flying for them?

I don't think anything but time and about $14 Billion in new aircraft deliveries is gong to solve the problem of 757-200 complexity. Entry to the fleet of current aircraft stretches from ~1985 to ~2000. Many are too old to bother spending money to reconfigure, yet a good number will still be flying a decade from now.
There are 14 ex-NWA domestic configured 757s and 17 ex-TWA international configured 757s with an additional leased 757 joining the international configured fleet this year. I would expect the ex-NWA aircraft to be included in the group to be retired within the next 5 years as they were all built in 1985-1988 and were already scheduled for retirement once before. What N639DL is really saying is within 5 years the only 757s with 8 doors will be the Business Elite aircraft.

All of the ex-NWA Business Elite 757s have been reconfigured to have 24 J class seats and are now NRT-based. These aircraft are oddballs because of the galley and lav configuration around door 2, and with only 8 of them it makes the most sense to dedicate them to Asia rather than trying to reconfigure them to match any of the domestic aircraft. Meanwhile, the former 75J fleet has returned to the US since they already had essentially the same configuration as the newer PMNW domestic 757s, increasing that fleet size from 7 to 15. These aircraft could eventually be made to match the PMDL domestic 757s, but the lavatory at door 2 is on the opposite side of the aircraft so I'm not sure if it would be possible to configure the aircraft the match as-is.
Old Jun 7, 12, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
But there must be a reason why a carrier would have preferred one over the other? IIRC, the NW configuration sort of has two coach cabins--there is a bulk head in the middle of Y.....was this ever meant to be a three class plane? (though that would be a very large J class)?
Perhaps some of our PMNW "old-timers" could weigh in, but one thing comes to mind: the "mini-cabin" seems perfect for a smoking section. IIRC Delta was the first US airline to go smoke-free on domestic flights (~1990) I think. Perhaps other airlines saw the "mini-cabin" as a smoking section, while DL had no need for one.

Purely conjecture, but either way, airlines order slight variations (i.e. RR vs. GE engines) of aircraft all the time, based on many factors.

Search this Thread