Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need help finding cheapest routing for SFO-ATL in Business Class for June 29-July8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help finding cheapest routing for SFO-ATL in Business Class for June 29-July8

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former Diamond

Hey All,
I have been trying to see if i could find cheaper routing in Business/First for SFO-ATL from June 29th-July 8th. Lowest I could find was roughly $1200 direct flight, but I have gotten this cheaper before.

If anyone could find it cheaper (no matter how many flights/segments) I would greatly appreciate it and buy you lunch if we ever meet.

Thank you
Old May 21, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Try OAK at $1070. From ITA Software:

Itinerary

Oakland (OAK) to Atlanta (ATL) - Fri, Jun 29
Oakland (OAK) to Salt Lake City (SLC) - Fri, Jun 29
Delta 1160 Dep: 1:05PM Arr: 3:44PM 1h 39m Airbus A320 First (A)
Layover in SLC 1h 16m

Salt Lake City (SLC) to Atlanta (ATL) - Fri, Jun 29
Delta 1222 Dep: 5:00PM Arr: 10:46PM 3h 46m Boeing 737 First (A)

Atlanta (ATL) to Oakland (OAK) - Sun, Jul 8
Atlanta (ATL) to Los Angeles (LAX) - Sun, Jul 8
Delta 1655 Dep: 9:40AM Arr: 11:25AM 4h 45m Boeing 767 First (P)
Layover in LAX 1h 50m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Oakland (OAK) - Sun, Jul 8
Delta 4469 Dep: 1:15PM Arr: 2:38PM 1h 23m Canadair RJ 900 First (P)
OPERATED BY SKYWEST DBA DELTA CONNECTION
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $1,070.20
Total cost for 1 passenger $1,070.20

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 21, 2012 at 10:23 am Reason: corrected dates
Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by MrAAUGA
Hey All,
I have been trying to see if i could find cheaper routing in Business/First for SFO-ATL from June 29th-July 8th. Lowest I could find was roughly $1200 direct flight, but I have gotten this cheaper before.

Thank you
We do this trip (except ATL-SFO-ATL) a number of times each year. I agree the FC fares can bounce around, and earlier in the year we got some for around $1000. More recently--over the last couple of months--they have consistently stayed in the $1170 to $1250 range. I don't check every day, but quite often.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you search on delta.dumb, do not do the search first by coach and then click on the flight you want in the FC column. Search by fare class picking A or higher frequently gives you a lower FC fare (logged in as DM), which is also cheaper than the buy up to first offer when you go on to purchase the ticket. (If this is a glitch, it's been happening for much longer than three weeks.)
Old May 21, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
According to the WSJ, Whatever You Do, Don't Buy an Airline Ticket On...
When's the best time to buy? Travel experts have long said Tuesday is when sales are most often in place, which is true. An analysis of domestic fares shows that Wednesday also has good—and occasionally better—ticket prices.

Though prices fluctuate frequently and the ups and downs of airline prices can frustrate and anger consumers, airline pricing actually does follow a cycle during the week. Many sales, in which some seats are discounted by 15% to 25% typically, are launched Monday night. That was true again this week when AirTran Airways launched a sale to all its destinations. Competitors typically match the lower prices Tuesday morning. By Thursday or Friday, many sales have already expired.
I try to buy all of my travel on Tue-Wed, and have personally observed that flights to/from ATL are much more expensive when purchased Fri-Mon. AirTran launches sales more or less every Mon/Tue and Delta often counters (though may not match) with sale fares of their own on Tue/Wed.

I'm not sure how much F/J tickets are impacted by these sales, as I exclusively book Y travel, but I would certainly wait until tomorrow afternoon to book this trip, just in case.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcline414
According to the WSJ, Whatever You Do, Don't Buy an Airline Ticket On...

I try to buy all of my travel on Tue-Wed, and have personally observed that flights to/from ATL are much more expensive when purchased Fri-Mon. AirTran launches sales more or less every Mon/Tue and Delta often counters (though may not match) with sale fares of their own on Tue/Wed.

I'm not sure how much F/J tickets are impacted by these sales, as I exclusively book Y travel, but I would certainly wait until tomorrow afternoon to book this trip, just in case.
Don't forget the 24 hour (actually midnight somewhere of the next day) risk free cancel rule. I'd try to grab a ticket now, just in case the discrepancy is because some fare classes are close to being sold out, and then watch what happens to the fare all day tomorrow. (This strategy would not work if one is close to credit card credit limits and cannot buy a second ticket before the cancelled one would be credited.)

I'm confused about whether the WSJ article is referring specifically to fare sales (which somehow never seem to help me) or to revenue management adjusting the inventory classes at which seats are being offered. These are different issues. For sales, one possible explanation of the day of week patterns is whether the airline wants its own and it competitors decision makers to be in the office deciding whether to match, extend, or withdraw sale fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.