Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$500 cash from DM to switch seats!!! WTH??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 cash from DM to switch seats!!! WTH??

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Why can Delta domestic FC class not compare with AA or UA domestic exactly?? Give me examples...the food, the seats, internet, the FA's, the service?
....and I would question the statement that DL costs only half as much as other carriers.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
Because a FA coming into FC waiving $500 cash "cheapens" the overall FC experience and is a little embarrassing for everyone in general. Delta cannot allow this or they will start down a slippery slope.
I agree. We already have to pay for headsets, blankets, food, and even baggage and now we have onsite upgrade offers? It's a bit of a circus.

I'm also just so surprised that the FA would do this. Did the flyer offer the $500 in the boarding area? I'm sure that has happened many times but it's discrete enough that it might not get picked up (although I read a post on FT in which that happened).
Old May 16, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Is there anything in the T&C of Delta tickets or the upgrade program that specifically forbids this? Having read through a bit of the CoC I find it hard to believe that Delta would overlook a situation like this.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The T&C certainly forbid it if it were an upgrade paid with miles or SWUs.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Why can Delta domestic FC class not compare with AA or UA domestic exactly?? Give me examples...the food, the seats, internet, the FA's, the service?
The food and the seats are generally inferior. All carriers have a heterogeneous and unpredictable mix of food, planes and especially service, but DL is generally the lesser of the three. Still much better than an LCC (and comparable to the airline run by LCC), but it's the least premium of the big three.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
....and I would question the statement that DL costs only half as much as other carriers.
I only said that domestic F frequently costs half as much as AA or UA domestic F. For example BOS-SAN roundtrip P fares are currently $1,050.20 on DL and $2,238 on AA with similar connections and flight times.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The food and the seats are generally inferior. All carriers have a heterogeneous and unpredictable mix of food, planes and especially service, but DL is generally the lesser of the three. Still much better than an LCC (and comparable to the airline run by LCC), but it's the least premium of the big three.

I only said that domestic F frequently costs half as much as AA or UA domestic F. For example BOS-SAN roundtrip P fares are currently $1,050.20 on DL and $2,238 on AA with similar connections and flight times.
....and MSP-BDL P fares can be about $2200, a distance of 1050 miles.

I don't consider DL inferior on domestic FC in apples to apples comparisons. DL aircraft are ferequentky pretty nice and have WiFi or IFE. Wine and meals aren't good, but do not seem any worse. DL FAs are rarely mean or exhibit attitude; they're usually personable and professional, with many working hard to serve us.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
....and MSP-BDL P fares can be about $2200, a distance of 1050 miles.
Which is why I said "frequently" rather than always. Non hub to non hub fares where neither airline has a real advantage seem like the best place to compare.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:04 pm

Because a FA coming into FC waiving $500 cash "cheapens" the overall FC experience
Actually, it enriches the overall FC experience. Those who did not take this offer now think that their seat is worth $500 more than they paid for it! The entertainment value is also priceless (for everything else there's MasterCard).
Old May 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Because a FA coming into FC waiving $500 cash "cheapens" the overall FC experience and is a little embarrassing for everyone in general. Delta cannot allow this or they will start down a slippery slope.
Don't see any cheapening at all. If an FA agrees to assist, great; otherwise I could come up and do it myself, nothing embarrassing about it either way, really.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Don't see any cheapening at all. If an FA agrees to assist, great; otherwise I could come up and do it myself, nothing embarrassing about it either way, really.
Coach passengers aren't supposed to enter the FC cabin.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:09 pm

Coach passengers aren't supposed to enter the FC cabin.
Yeah, and pigs fly too. Many things aren't supposed to happen, yet they do all the time.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Yeah, and pigs fly too. Many things aren't supposed to happen, yet they do all the time.
If someone offered me $500 cash to switch seats, I would wonder whether the reason was that the seat mate is a pig!
Old May 16, 2012, 1:26 pm

If someone offered me $500 cash to switch seats, I would wonder whether the reason was that the seat mate is a pig!
No harm in wondering, but doesn't get one very far ...
Old May 16, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I don't understand why this guy didn't just book FC to begin with, would have been much cheaper. Something doesn't add up here, I don't know if I buy it. Fares for Tuesday next week are minimally more for FC than coach. Even looking at departures tomorrow give FC fares around $560 total for one way ATL-LAS.

Wonder if he was sitting next to some POS (person of size) or something else that he couldn't stand? I could understand not wanting to pay $ for FC, but then once you see who/what you have to sit next to be willing to pay $500 to get the hell out of there.

Old May 16, 2012, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Actually it's a secondary market. If Delta can't figure out how to get their IT systems to handle the auction and control the market, they'll probably just come out with a memo forbidding it. They probably never thought there would be ON-BOARD bidding wars between passengers. The bidder may not even have been a thwarted Diamond, but he probably was.

Imagine the chaos that allowing this to go on will enable!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

We always knew there was a population of whores in FC - now we're just haggling over the price.
Mr. Churchill, I presume?

Seriously, I see no reason they couldn't do this. A stubhub/facebook combination of sorts. People up front could entertain bids for their seats and DL gets a cut. For that matter, it doesn't even have to be somebody up front. Got an exit row seat? List it for $100 and see who makes you the best offer to switch.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.