Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

$500 cash from DM to switch seats!!! WTH??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 cash from DM to switch seats!!! WTH??

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Perfectly legitimate and understandable transaction. See nothing wrong with it on any level: someone has the goods I want, I have the cash, both are happy. Which part is wrong or even surprising?
Old May 15, 2012, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
She could not have gotten the second word out of her mouth before I had thrown all my luggage in coach, and had that guy and his luggage in first class. For $500 his seat could have been last row middle, and I would be happy. I always joke that the only way I want to switch a seat is if someone offers me first class or cash. All I ever get is can you switch your aisle exit row for my middle of the back of the plane seat, or my favorite 17 hour international trip. Can you trade your aisle for a middle seat?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by vincentharris
All I ever get is can you switch your aisle exit row for my middle of the back of the plane seat, or my favorite 17 hour international trip. Can you trade your aisle for a middle seat?
"No..."
Old May 15, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Perfectly acceptable in my mind. I do not think DL can be pleased with Medallions selling their product and cutting them out of the transaction. If it was me I would have taken the money. Probably the happiest walk to Y a person could have.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:27 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
At first when I saw "18C" I thought "reclining exit row aisle on 738" but I realize now this is a 757 flight. Still worth it, though!
Old May 15, 2012, 11:51 pm

What was the FA stake in this?

I sure hope safety preparations, briefings were not compromised because she decided to play auctioneer for a day.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Ah, don't you just love a free market economy.
I love not knowing many things, this being one of them.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:22 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I Did the math and it actually saved me $37 on drinks....
I thought if you were trapped in the back of the bus, your boarding pass printed out with a "Have a DOZEN on us!" coupon or three. Coach would be asking FC for Woodford replenishment runs.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Perfectly legitimate and understandable transaction. See nothing wrong with it on any level: someone has the goods I want, I have the cash, both are happy. Which part is wrong or even surprising?
Because a FA coming into FC waiving $500 cash "cheapens" the overall FC experience and is a little embarrassing for everyone in general. Delta cannot allow this or they will start down a slippery slope.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
On any US Domestic flight/transborder from Canada I would give up my UG for $500!
I personally would have made a TOD offer first if I was the DM.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Two things:

1. Unless F was full when this guy bought his ticket, if he wanted F so bad, why didn't he just pay for F?

2. Did anyone in F say anything to the guy after he switched cabins? I'm curious if he was wearing the DM hat.

Wouldn't it have been funny if he had a companion who he left in Y.
Old May 16, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Two things:

1. Unless F was full when this guy bought his ticket, if he wanted F so bad, why didn't he just pay for F?

2. Did anyone in F say anything to the guy after he switched cabins? I'm curious if he was wearing the DM hat.

Wouldn't it have been funny if he had a companion who he left in Y.
I could understand it for a transcon where F is thousands of dollars above J/Y, but not for most other flights.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by vincentharris
She could not have gotten the second word out of her mouth before I had thrown all my luggage in coach, and had that guy and his luggage in first class. For $500 his seat could have been last row middle, and I would be happy.
Indeed. I'm surprised the FA didn't get trampled in a stampede.

David
Old May 16, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Because a FA coming into FC waiving $500 cash "cheapens" the overall FC experience and is a little embarrassing for everyone in general. Delta cannot allow this or they will start down a slippery slope.
Start? What airline have you been flying? DL is not a premium airline, DL F can't compare to AA or UA premium cabins, but since it frequently costs half as much, it doesn't really have to.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Start? What airline have you been flying? DL is not a premium airline, DL F can't compare to AA or UA premium cabins, but since it frequently costs half as much, it doesn't really have to.
Why can Delta domestic FC class not compare with AA or UA domestic exactly?? Give me examples...the food, the seats, internet, the FA's, the service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.