Wiki Posts
Search

How oftern are FC seats left open?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
How oftern are FC seats left open?

I was on a flight from ATL to Tulsa last night and #8 of 12 with 7 available. GA announced that "first has checked in full" so I boarded in and took my 10D seat.
I didnt notice till half way through the flight that 4D was empty the whole time. Only a 1 1/2 hour flight do not a big deal but I havnt seen an empty seat in first for some time.
Does it often happen?
Old May 7, 2012, 5:34 pm

It's always possible that it was out of service for some reason. Maybe make you feel better to think that at least?
Old May 7, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Domestic FC usually fills with UG's, but not all the time. On NAS-LGA last month, the plane was full of non-status vacationers, so I got my companion UG and we had an empty seat behind us.

Intl BE is a whole 'nother story, seems like more common to have a few empty seats than to have it full
Old May 7, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Domestic FC usually fills with UG's, but not all the time. On NAS-LGA last month, the plane was full of non-status vacationers, so I got my companion UG and we had an empty seat behind us.

Intl BE is a whole 'nother story, seems like more common to have a few empty seats than to have it full
I think that's different than the case of the OP. I've had that happen too (empty seat in first, because there weren't enough medallions _or_ nonrevs to fill it). I think it was a holiday -- saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, IIRC.

What the OP is talking about probably happened when there was a no-show in first. In this case, someone else should get that seat. I just saw that happen this morning, and they did the right thing(tm) and pulled the next person on the list from the back.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think they do their damndest to fill them. Heck, I even had a Silver Medallion sitting next to me the other day. Surprised me, I figured they would have just let it be empty!
Old May 7, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
I think they do their damndest to fill them. Heck, I even had a Silver Medallion sitting next to me the other day. Surprised me, I figured they would have just let it be empty!
Fly to TGU....I was the only person in the 12 seat BE cabin going down there recently and coming back there were only 4 of us up front. Strange that coach was pretty full both ways too. The FA on the flight said that it isnt too uncommon (especially on weekends) for Business Class to fly empty! And he said more often than not there are empties up front. It is a pleasant retreat from the masses in the domestic network

And FWIW when traveling to TGU I would recommend the Intercontinental Real in an Executive Room. The staff has been very friendly, nice evening snacks and cocktails, good breakfast and a good concierge. Had some bad experiences at the Marriott there which led me to try the Intercontinental which has mixed reviews on most sites but I have found it to be very nice.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
This appears to be one of those situations where pax dropped off the UG list as they scanned BP's and the GA declined to further process the UG list. I believe GA has some leeway when clearing UG's and if it comes down to departing on time with an open seat in FC on a short flight or pushing back late to pull the next pax on the list, well....????
Old May 7, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't doubt that if it was yesterday evening it may have been related to the craziness in ATL with Thunderstorms around and IROPs. Possibly everyone boarded and dropped off the UG list. Another possibility is if it was an MD80 that it was scheduled for an old one (14F/128Y) and a new one pulled in last minute due to equipment change (weather related maybe) with the 16F/132Y configuration. The GA may not have noticed that if they were rushing to get the flight out. Lots of possibilities but I would say weather and no-show/misconnects may have played a role knowing ATL on days with weather.
Old May 7, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
Did y ask to get moved up after boarding ? THe same thing happened to me ...once boarded I told stew. I was next in line and she called up to desk after everyone boarded me and they upgraded me
Old May 7, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by zerodegre
Did y ask to get moved up after boarding ? THe same thing happened to me ...once boarded I told stew. I was next in line and she called up to desk after everyone boarded me and they upgraded me
Good suggestion, it usually never hurts to ask. Politely and considerate of the boarding situation, of course.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by zerodegre
This right here is a great example of employees not following procedure. You are on the aircraft, you lose your right to upgrade. If you want the upgrade, wait. If you want your bag on board and *have* to board first, you lose your upgrade chances. Plain and simple.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Hmm, I was 18 of 60 for 1 available F seat on a 7am from DTW to LGA on a Monday morning. Looks like all the medallions boarded, because the doors shut and one seat was open in F. The person behind me was called by a FA and taken up front. All 60 of us boarded! I wish I had stayed in the gate area. Oh well, short flight anyway.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
I've had that happen too (empty seat in first, because there weren't enough medallions _or_ nonrevs to fill it). I think it was a holiday -- saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, IIRC.
I've only seen empty seats on two flights... HEAVILY delayed JFK-ORD flight and an early-morning ATL-CUN flight. I think this is fairly rare out of ATL.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

BZE-ATL in Feb... I had row 4 to myself
Old May 8, 2012, 6:07 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Someone easily could have gone to their original seat in coach and not looked at their new cleared boarding pass.

Or, like I did on a flight. I got my upgrade but the wife and kids did not. So I went to the last row on the plane to tell my wife to take my seat and she declined. I had asked the guy next on the list his seat number but I could not find him., so I told a flight attendant. Not sure if the seat went empty.

Or, the person did not like their seatmate and moved back to coach.

With well over 100 flights with a 4 and 5 year, I have only once had to take the 4 year old to the back until she behaved. Two F seats open for a short time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.