Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Changed my reward flight, charged me more miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Changed my reward flight, charged me more miles.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Before writing a complaint here ... have you tried calling the Diamond line and requesting that the mistake be reversed?

Many such mistakes ... human error ... can be rectified with a simple call once the error is discovered.

The time it took you to post this issue here ... could have been better resolved making a phone call to the Diamond Medallion line.

Again ... this is all IMHO.
Old May 2, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Often1
Now we have an entire thread about "what if's" when the OP hasn't even picked up the phone, called DL and asked what happened & why. Mistakes happen -- the way to fix them is to call.
+1 ^
Old May 2, 2012, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Update

After the advice I recieved her on Flyertalk, I called the Diamond desk to ask for the difference. I was first told that I would be unable to get the difference in miles refunded as it was my "choice" to change flights. I then explained the situation again and the agent called their help desk. After about 20 minutes on hold, the Diamond agent did say they should be able to work on this and refund me the difference. He said it would take a while to work it out, but eventually they will post.
Overall the agent was very pleasant to work with. Now I'm just going to wait for the miles to repost.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dd1612
Before writing a complaint here ... have you tried calling the Diamond line and requesting that the mistake be reversed?

Many such mistakes ... human error ... can be rectified with a simple call once the error is discovered.

The time it took you to post this issue here ... could have been better resolved making a phone call to the Diamond Medallion line.

Wow, we are so similar! Today, when I was waiting for the bus, a family came to me and asked which bus they can take to the Empire State Building. I know the answer. I mean, the Empire State Building is on 34th Street, so you take the M34 bus...duh! But instead of taking a small breath to answer them with 4 syllables, I inhaled deeply and told them, "instead of asking me, why not just look at the darn map behind you?" Man, I felt good after that! Gave myself some satisfaction! But to those poor folks from out of town who needed help on this rainy day...I must look like an a-hole. Of course, this is all IMHO.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
I hate the hipshot 'complain' reaction, and prefer to give the agent the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they didn't reissue it properly, and THOUGHT it went through as an even exchange as a schedule change like it should have?

I'm not saying an enquirery isn't needed, but even Premium Sales and Service agents are still human, and make the odd mistake. It'll get fixed, I'm sure.
I am one of the ones who used the word "complain" although I did not mean it aggressively. Since the OP seemed unsure about whether he/she should have been charged the extra miles, I was trying to be very clear that this should not have happened in these circumstances.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by NYCTraveller
Originally Posted by dd1612

Wow, we are so similar! Today, when I was waiting for the bus, a family came to me and asked which bus they can take to the Empire State Building. I know the answer. I mean, the Empire State Building is on 34th Street, so you take the M34 bus...duh! But instead of taking a small breath to answer them with 4 syllables, I inhaled deeply and told them, "instead of asking me, why not just look at the darn map behind you?" Man, I felt good after that! Gave myself some satisfaction! But to those poor folks from out of town who needed help on this rainy day...I must look like an a-hole. Of course, this is all IMHO.
+1

I think some folks feel compelled to respond even when their response is less than helpful. Oh well.

Hope the miles post, OP!
Old May 10, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
UpDate. Delta changed my flights again!

I just checked my email and delta has changed my award itinerary again! They have moved us to a much later flight, now arriving at 8:30pm. This is getting annoying.
I have never had a flight changed twice, is this pretty common with other flyers?
Old May 10, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lrbenko
I just checked my email and delta has changed my award itinerary again! They have moved us to a much later flight, now arriving at 8:30pm. This is getting annoying.
I have never had a flight changed twice, is this pretty common with other flyers?
Unfortunately yes, I've found that Delta is significantly worse than other carriers with both number of changes and the significance of those changes. If I were you, I probably would wait until next month (at the earliest) to call again, as the likelihood of another change for an August departure is relatively high. That would also give your refunded miles time to post so you'll know whether you need to fight that as well.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
An award trip that I have booked to LAS over Labor Day weekend has changed four times now in the two months since I booked it (including changing connecting airports in both directions), so yes, it certainly does happen. In my case, my departure TO LAS was moved up and my departure FROM LAS was pushed back, so I'm not complaining about the extra time in Vegas
Old May 10, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Lot of schedule adjustments going on for Aug/Sep. Myself, a couple JFK-SAN-JFK non-stops changed to connections I presume due to eliminating n/s route?

It was a complete cancel/reissue deal while I slept last week or so. At least they didn't charge me more miles for the privilege of adding several hours to those trips.

I accept schedules change and PM/DM can adapt easy enough (T72 observed, of course) but Fall schedules have been experiencing noticeable changes along my usual routes.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:19 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Did you ever get the miles credited to your account? I trust you have the first name and location of the person you talked with on May 2.

Yes, I have had multiple schedule changes, but normally they work in my favor. I rarely book an ideal itinerary uses DL miles. But I usually book my award tickets months in advance. So there is lots of time for schedule changes to happen. Then I call DL and request a different routing, usually a more convenient and less circuitous routing than what I had originally booked.

For this reason I like DL schedule changes.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
I inhaled deeply and told them, "instead of asking me, why not just look at the darn map behind you?" Man, I felt good after that! Gave myself some satisfaction! But to those poor folks from out of town who needed help on this rainy day...I must look like an a-hole.
Either my sarcasm detector needs a tune-up, or those people's perception of you would not be far from the truth.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
You strike me as someone who has never been outside New York, but you realize that most bus systems are not numbered that way, right? (in fact, most NYC buses are not numbered that way).
Old May 10, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Yes, but some people actually book things way in advance hoping that there are schedule changes.

In most cases, when there is a schedule change, agents are given a lot of latitude to help you find alternate arrangements, particularly on the DM line, especially if your flight changed by more than a coupe of hours.

In any case though, if there is going to be a difference in price or miles for any flight change, the agent should tell you that upfront before the change is actually processed. I've made changes to award tickets and the agents have always waited to find out what the difference would be before re-ticketing, even on changes that I initiated.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
I hate the hipshot 'complain' reaction, and prefer to give the agent the benefit of the doubt - perhaps they didn't reissue it properly, and THOUGHT it went through as an even exchange as a schedule change like it should have?

I'm not saying an enquirery isn't needed, but even Premium Sales and Service agents are still human, and make the odd mistake. It'll get fixed, I'm sure.
Is it harder to do an even exchange on an award ticket than a revenue ticket in a schedule change situation? I've probably had more otherwise very good agents make this particular mistake (deducting more miles for an award ticket during a schedule change) than any other.

Seems like something IT might want to look into. (yes, I am joking )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.