Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on medical supplies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on medical supplies

First time poster and not a frequent flyer. I appreciate your patience and hope you can help.

My 18 year old daughter is traveling to Japan this summer for 6 weeks of study-abroad. She has Type 1 diabetes and wears an insulin pump. She will need to bring enough pump supplies plus test strips, meter, insulin, back-up pump, syringes, emergency glucose, snacks, etc. for the entire 6 weeks. This is a lot of stuff and takes up a small carry-on bag entirely. We don't feel comfortabel checking any of it because it is irreplacable in Japan. She also needs her laptop and has a purse. The purse is small and could fit inside the laptop bag.

She is flying on Delta from IND-MSP-SEA-KIX then NRT-DET-IND. It is very difficult to understand the rules for carry-ons. Will she be able to carry on her purse, laptop, medical supplies plus a carry-on with clothing? She was hoping to not check any baggage.

Also,
she has a wheeled duffle for her carry-on that is 20 x 12 x 12. It is this bag http://http://www.ebags.com/product/a-saks/expandable-20-rolling-trolley-duffel/86271?productid=1125191

This is for her clothes. (The one for medical supplies is more like 15x12x8.) Will that duffle work for a carry-on or is it too big? Is she better off just checking it? She is pretty worried about getting there and not having her stuff. Her classes start the very next day.

Also,
In Indianapolis is her only choice to opt-out of the body scanner and get groped? What about NRT? Her pump is ok to go through a regular metal detector but not the body scanner. How exactly does she opt out? Tell the first person she comes to? The one that looks at licenses and tickets?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...lies/index.jsp

Some medical items can be carried on the plane, along with the regular carry-on allowance, as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits.

The 20x12x12 is going to be a problem, though:

Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm).

Probably ought to replace that bag with something compliant with the above dimensions.

In the somewhat likely event that somebody tries to deny the medical supplies, ask for a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO). Each station is supposed to have a CRO whom is familiar with such regulations.

So, laptop bag, size compliant carry-on with clothes, and bag with medical supplies should be good.

David
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Agree with DiverDave here. The laptop bag and a carry on should not be a problem. If the purse doesn't fit inside either other bag comfortably, I could see them potentially giving her a hard time about exceeding the carry on limit but if it does, then no problems. Medical equipment is usually not a big issue, just make sure, in case a GA/FA gives her a hard time that she's prepared to give them a run down of what she's carrying and why (which is likely more than they'd ask) and all should go as planned!

Good luck!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There should be no problems packing 6-weeks of supplies into a standard carryon (read the dimensions above carefully and measure what you've got, including handles & wheels). People do this all the time and carrying 6 weeks supplies doesn't even touch what's needed.

2. The second item should hold her purse, a change of clothes and whatever reading material/laptop she needs for the flight. The rest goes in checked luggage.

The carry-on rules contain exceptions for medical equiptment needed inflight, but don't get increased because you want to carryon something you don't need inflight but which you don't want to check.

Lastly, don't panic. If anything does get lost or damaged on the trip, a replacement can be Fedexed. I would worry about the Central African Republic, but not Japan.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I would encourage you to have her check the rollerboard with the clothes. It wouldn't just be about getting it on the plane, but then also getting it off the plane and lugging it around in MSP and then again in SEA along with the medical supplies, laptop, purse, etc. Stick a change of clothes in the carryon with the laptop and worst case scenario she won't be without something fresh for her first day of class.

The medical supplies should not be an issue on the plane, but she'll have to declare them with the TSA at IND when she puts them through the xray. Also, after she puts her stuff on the conveyer belt at the x-ray she should just inform the officer that she has a medical device and cannot go through the body scanner. They'll likely ask for a "female assist" and do a pat down. It shouldn't take too much longer than anyone else. I have no idea about NRT, though. Never been there...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
A bag with her medical supplies can be carried IN ADDITION TO the normal carry-on allowance. If she is questioned about the extra bag (total of three) she should say that it contains medical supplies as permitted by the Air-Carrier Access Act.

Both the laptop bag and purse count as separate items. If she carries both then she'll have to check her roll-a-board. If she wants to carry it all on she'll have to combine the laptop bag, purse, and roll-a-board into two bags.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I would add that I would be carefull to keep everything well prioritized in case an issue does arise. There should be nothing inside the rollar/duffle that she will need within 48/hours.

Being w/o clothes is a pain in the ..., but the other stuff she needs.

It will probably help to put the purse within the laptop bag before boarding to reduce the obvious number of items.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL GM 2 Million Miler, UA, AA, FN, Marriott Gold, Holiday Inn Plat, Hyatt Plat
To help ease lengthy time-consuming discussions with TSA I would strongly urge your daughter to get her doctor to write a brief letter, on letterhead, explaining the need for her to carry the equipment onboard and that it should not be checked. Be sure it is dated so it will be current.

I have such a letter I carry with me constantly. Some doctors charge $25 for such a letter, but don't wait until the last minute to request it. I have not needed it in the US but was glad I could pull it out when the supplies were questioned in AMS and Moscow.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LarryJ
A bag with her medical supplies can be carried IN ADDITION TO the normal carry-on allowance. If she is questioned about the extra bag (total of three) she should say that it contains medical supplies as permitted by the Air-Carrier Access Act.

Both the laptop bag and purse count as separate items. If she carries both then she'll have to check her roll-a-board. If she wants to carry it all on she'll have to combine the laptop bag, purse, and roll-a-board into two bags.
Actually - Here is the written policy. It only covers what is a "necessity on your trip." For instance, if you were gone for a year, it would not cover a year's worth of supplies. It seems clear that they don't generate the need for a third item and at IND where they can be sticklers, this isn't a good fight to pick. The ACA also would only cover what's necessary for the trip itself.

I also wouldn't make a big deal of the insulin pump issue at the checkpoint. There are thousands of medical device clearances every day. Most pumps don't even alert a standard mag. When going through advanced technology, any pax can opt out for any reason (or no reason). TSA is used to it and there's no need for you or your daughter to sweat this detail.

On the return, your daughter will presumably have used up the bulk of her supplies, but still ought to have enough with her to handle the trip and any possible diversions (I always travel with an extra 3 days of all medications). Practically speaking, she's traveling in and between countries which have excellent medical systems, so emergencies can be handled, but the nuisance can be extreme.

A letter explaining what the supplies are and that they are medically necessary and which includes a 24-hour phone # (remember, time difference with Japan means not much overlap with doc's office hours & daytime travel) may be helpful.

Lastly, it's not necessary, but if your daughter has specialized needs which would not be evident to a treating physician, a letter describing those needs will be helpful in case of an emergency, along with 24-hour contact info.

Medical Supplies & Equipment
We realize that medical supplies or equipment may be a necessity on your trip; therefore these items are allowed on board as additional items at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, along with the regular carry-on allowance, as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits.

Breathing Apparatus
Delta will accept a self-contained breathing apparatus used by emergency rescue units as checked baggage as long as the unit's weight does not exceed 150 lbs. (68kgs). Please contact Reservations 24 hours in advance to let us know that you will need to bring a breathing apparatus along with you on your trip. Information about onboard medical oxygen is found in our section on Services for Travelers with Disabilities.

Needles/Syringes
If your medication must be administered with a needle or syringe, it will be permitted in carry-on baggage as long as it is accompanied with medication that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication, a manufacturer’s name, or pharmaceutical label.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by endofanera
Also,
In Indianapolis is her only choice to opt-out of the body scanner and get groped? What about NRT? Her pump is ok to go through a regular metal detector but not the body scanner. How exactly does she opt out? Tell the first person she comes to? The one that looks at licenses and tickets?
IND is one of the nicest/friendliest airports to opt-out. The TSA agents routinely compliment me on my friendly demeanor when requesting an opt-out and I routinely compliment them on their professionalism and general good mood. The agents at many airports make me feel like a criminal when I "respectfully decline" the nude-o-scope, at IND they chat and joke with me while they give me my massage.

Wait until she puts her bags on the belt, if they direct her to the full-body scanner that's the point to tell them that she declines. There's a chance they'll just send her through the metal detector up until that point so there's no need to opt out until then. In practice there are so few people and so many agents/lanes at IND that they almost never use the old-school metal detectors.

I'm also going to echo the other posters here, Japan is not rural Bangladesh, anything you need could almost certainly be replaced in <24 hours. No need to worry.

Last edited by Nick207; Apr 24, 2012 at 8:30 am Reason: s/x-ray/metal detector
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
Originally Posted by Nick207

..snip..

There's a chance they'll just send her through the x-ray up until that point so there's no need to opt out until then.

..snip..
(bolding mine)...hopefully you mean the WTMD?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, National Executive, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kshanew
(bolding mine)...hopefully you mean the WTMD?
Oops yep, meant the plain old metal-detector... caffeine levels were a bit low this AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
It seems clear that they don't generate the need for a third item
I don't see where you're getting that. Under the ACAA, medical supplies are not counted in your carry-on allowance. All you have to do is have a bag that contains only those medical supplies.

If the medical supplies involve liquids in excess of the 3-1-1 limits it must be declared prior to screening.

Here's the TSA page on diabetes.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1374.shtm#3
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by endofanera
She will need to bring enough pump supplies plus test strips, meter, insulin, back-up pump, syringes, emergency glucose, snacks, etc. for the entire 6 weeks. ?
she does not need 6 weeks of snacks. most of her snacks can be purchased in japan. i think you can consolidate the vast majority of items you think she might be needing
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:38 pm

Spouse of a type I diabetic here. First off, don't worry -- everything will be fine, and your daughter will have a great trip. Second, if you feel any anxiety about your daughter traveling as a diabetic, do your best not to let on -- it will be easier for her.

- The TSA is really accustomed to people like your daughter going through security, and in my experience generally understanding and courteous. Thousands of diabetics travel every day.

- My spouse always just sends a carryon with all manner of diabetes crap through the xray (including syringes) without saying anything to the TSA and no one has ever asked about it or sent it back through

- He carries a letter from a doctor about the supplies and it's never been needed

- Opting out of scans is easy, when you get to the scanner just say "I'd like to opt out please" to the person waiving you through.

- For a long international trip, my experience is that it's easier to check luggage. Pump gear is really bulky in its packaging, plus your daughter might want to buy cool stuff in Japan to bring home. I'd carry on a few days of supplies and check the rest. Worst case scenario, you can fedex stuff over there.

- Japan has awesome candy for those hypoglycemic moments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.