Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
One more iteration rendering right now. I'll post it when it's up. Let me know what you think. Once a final version is settled on, by all means start spreading the word. Until we've got the formula right, let's not spread it too far because the old versions of the video will come down.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Version 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuT2v1i3xmk

As with the first 2, recommended to bump up the quality to HD and watch in full screen.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I think we should slow down a bit... After 4.5 years, it's critical to get it 100%!

I tried viewing on latest version Android, YouTube said "content owner has not made this video available on mobile devices."

If it's also buggy on iPad, I think it won't go as far as we desire.

one more thought... does anyone think this one-way concept confuses some? Would it be better to show a simple round trip, ATL-LHR?

Originally Posted by javabytes

As with the first 2, recommended to bump up the quality to HD and watch in full screen.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned previously, that's not a bug. It's a consequence of using copyrighted music. The copyright holder allows the video on YouTube only, but not to be syndicated, so it will not play on mobile devices. There is no way around this besides replacing the music altogether, which I'm not altogether averse to, as long as it works.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes

This is really starting to look polished!

Please don't take any of my comments in the wrong light... I used to do video editing, and am a bit of a perfectionist. This is great as is. But, if you want some thoughts...

(nitpick: 1:58 in, the . should be inside the quote marks "just sell out." or perhaps "just" sell out...)

I'm not sure about this, but on the calendar scenes, I wonder if a caption that says "The key says green = low" or something would be helpful. Its obvious to those of us who look at it all the time, but I'm not sure if the general population would know it? Similarly, do we need a short blurb about low= XX miles, Medium = XX miles high = XX miles at the beginning? Maybe a chart? I'm just wondering if the general public/non-flyertalker needs a little more guidance? I'm going to show it to my girlfriend shortly and see what she says.

I like the idea of the sound effects and the slow reveal on the Robertson quote. But I think it would be just as effective if you just had the whole quote come in at once. Either that, or make the time between them a little faster. I'd also speed up the rest of that sequence... I kept waiting for the next part.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Ok - had her look at it.

Biggest issue -- the subtitles you've added in are easy to miss if you're not looking at them. Can you make the background darker on those? She got halfway through the video before she saw them Probably something worth adjusting for.

Ignore my previous comments on the timing of the Jeff Robertson quote. It worked for her, and when I watched it with her the timing was fine.

She understood the green on the calendar, but I think a slight clarification on the first calendar screen might be worth it. Also, I still like the idea of the chart at the beginning. And, maybe, the first time 235 is returned instead of 150 something like "But the calendar said low, and low is supposed to be 150?!"

But, all in all, excellent work. She got it, and was frustrated and she's never booked award travel on her own.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Great video.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Any thought of doing one sans music for mobile users? Maybe narration? I'm on the road now and can't view the latest versions.

Or, perhaps I can compose/record some music and grant you license for it's use? Of course, that would be hard, if not impossible, while I'm traveling.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:01 am

Outstanding.....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:08 pm

Great video, javabytes! If you like to use a free soundtrack for it, check out http://www.danosongs.com/#music. A track titled "HeLIUm HUes.mp3" may be suitable.

All tracks are original music by Dan-O and YouTube won't flag it as copyrighted. All you need to do is give him credit.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Looking great, but I still like the feel rewarded on v2. Much funnier.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, EXP. DL, DM 1MM. HHonors, Diamond. Hertz, PC. National, EE.
Thumbs up

Very nice! We need to get the word out.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ascii
Ok - had her look at it.

Biggest issue -- the subtitles you've added in are easy to miss if you're not looking at them. Can you make the background darker on those? She got halfway through the video before she saw them Probably something worth adjusting for.

Ignore my previous comments on the timing of the Jeff Robertson quote. It worked for her, and when I watched it with her the timing was fine.

She understood the green on the calendar, but I think a slight clarification on the first calendar screen might be worth it. Also, I still like the idea of the chart at the beginning. And, maybe, the first time 235 is returned instead of 150 something like "But the calendar said low, and low is supposed to be 150?!"

But, all in all, excellent work. She got it, and was frustrated and she's never booked award travel on her own.
Q: How many producers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Four, no, six, err, I don't know, let me get back to you....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, two updated versions. Both versions now have the subtitles below the video, instead of an overlay. I've added some clarifying language that green on the calendar = 150k awards. Also fixed the punctuation. Didn't think I'd get called on having the period outside the quotation marks. I personally think it looks stupid that way, but realize the proper way is inside the quotes.

v4a: Retains the same language at the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73iG_UbiVqw
v4b: Back to the old language "Feel rewarded?". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URzMj6HpIko

I really want this to be as much about the low availability as much as the broken website. The two points are number one, that there's very little "green" on the calendar, and number two, you can't even book the stuff that shows green. So I'm not sure which language to stick with at the end.

Also, I did leave the same music in place. I realize this limits playback on certain devices, but I haven't found anything else fitting that I've tried so far, with kind of frantic, comical elements all rolled into one. This song really fits the video. If you have any suggestions for others, let me know.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thoughts on this as a potential replacement song?
http://www.royaltyfreemusiclibrary.c...henanigans.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.