FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book' (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1334864-here-we-go-again-award-price-miles-increase-when-i-move-select-book.html)

DLroads Apr 11, 2012 9:15 am

Here we go again: Award price miles increase when I move from select to 'book'

No, don't take the popcorn out, I had enough. It's just a piece of C##@@# award calendar.

I select dates that are green or yellow on the calendar.
I peak the flights (JFK-NRT).
I confirm my selection for 170K (I guess 120K doesn't exist anymore...) I go to purchase, the price goes to 220k.
Clear cookies, try again- same deal.

Find something low on other dates, and just decide to test it (the 120K,low). Try to confirm- goes to 170K.

I am sorry- the burden of proof that it was not a random error is now at the delta side of the house. I am sorry, you can't convince me that the award calendar is working, or -- you can't convince me that this increase after selection was random. So, which one is it?

(note: DL insiders on the ecommerce, etc.--> you may contact me for details, but I am expecting serious replies. This is not a first, a second, or a third).

COnned Apr 11, 2012 9:20 am

I have been experiencing the same thing. Have you gotten a "sorry, this fare has just sold out" yet? Why even load the fares if you can't purchase them?

javabytes Apr 11, 2012 9:35 am

Nothing new. This is either a prolonged, multi-year-long IT problem, or something much more nefarious. Odds are heavily in favor of IT. Even at best, it's embarrassing. Delta has the worst award booking engine of its peers.

tuono07 Apr 11, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by COnned (Post 18372980)
I have been experiencing the same thing. Have you gotten a "sorry, this fare has just sold out" yet? Why even load the fares if you can't purchase them?

I was getting those on an ward booking ATL to BCN. After about 10 of the " sorry the fare has just sold out" i shut it down, tried about 11:30 at night and got two RT in BE for 200K?

Ti22 Apr 11, 2012 10:16 am

It's the type of IT error they're in no hurry to fix...

Although I haven't done it yet, I'm casually working on an easy way to video when booking revenue or award flights then posting to youtube.

It only takes one video to go viral and perhaps get some AG's involved about these less than honest business practices?

Delta should be embarrassed and seriously penalized for allowing this type of bait & switch to continue.

StayingHomeIsBetter Apr 11, 2012 11:43 am

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 18372953)
No, don't take the popcorn out, I had enough. It's just a piece of C##@@# award calendar.

I select dates that are green or yellow on the calendar.
I peak the flights (JFK-NRT).
I confirm my selection for 170K (I guess 120K doesn't exist anymore...) I go to purchase, the price goes to 220k.
Clear cookies, try again- same deal.

Find something low on other dates, and just decide to test it (the 120K,low). Try to confirm- goes to 170K.

I am sorry- the burden of proof that it was not a random error is now at the delta side of the house. I am sorry, you can't convince me that the award calendar is working, or -- you can't convince me that this increase after selection was random. So, which one is it?

(note: DL insiders on the ecommerce, etc.--> you may contact me for details, but I am expecting serious replies. This is not a first, a second, or a third).

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 18373365)
It's the type of IT error they're in no hurry to fix...

Although I haven't done it yet, I'm casually working on an easy way to video when booking revenue or award flights then posting to youtube.

It only takes one video to go viral and perhaps get some AG's involved about these less than honest business practices?

Delta should be embarrassed and seriously penalized for allowing this type of bait & switch to continue.

Gather up suitable documentation validating your claim and file a complaint with DOT.

This will never be fixed without outside stimulation.

bubbashow Apr 11, 2012 11:55 am

While I have never had it happen with award tickets, I have SEVERAL times with revenue tickets. Immediately after the "sold out" message, the same flights at the same "sold out" fare appear.

blug Apr 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 18374086)
While I have never had it happen with award tickets, I have SEVERAL times with revenue tickets. Immediately after the "sold out" message, the same flights at the same "sold out" fare appear.

"just sold out" happens all the time with award tickets. Just search any TPAC flight (except DTW/LAX-HND) for 2 BE seats. For each flight the calendar may show some green dates, but for almost every single green date, when you select the flight you'll get "just sold out".

In DL's dictionary, apparently "just sold out" means "sold out within the past 330 days".

LostInAmerica Apr 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 18373069)
Nothing new. This is either a prolonged, multi-year-long IT problem, or something much more nefarious. Odds are heavily in favor of IT. Even at best, it's embarrassing. Delta has the worst award booking engine of its peers.

Even though NWA had an excellent award booking engine before Delta. So Delta does have a better award booking engine, they just choose to not use it.
Why make it easy on your customers when there is money to be made by not fixing the problem? :rolleyes:

Ti22 Apr 11, 2012 3:44 pm

QuickTime in Lion OS X does screen capture video so from now on I'll flip that on whenever I'm using Delta website to book flights. It shouldn't take long to catch DL website in the act and upload to YouTube.

Eventually, I will contact my state(s) AG offices, DOT, BBB and every government entity that's supposed to protect consumers from bait & switch tactics and submit copious amounts of evidence memorializing this blatant and dishonest business practice.

Will start a thread to discuss/promote this and to help others learn how to capture browser windows into video.

RealHJ Apr 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 18375716)
QuickTime in Lion OS X does screen capture video so from now on I'll flip that on whenever I'm using Delta website to book flights. It shouldn't take long to catch DL website in the act and upload to YouTube.

Eventually, I will contact my state(s) AG offices, DOT, BBB and every government entity that's supposed to protect consumers from bait & switch tactics and submit copious amounts of evidence memorializing this blatant and dishonest business practice.

Will start a thread to discuss/promote this and to help others learn how to capture browser windows into video.

^
Excellent. I am very glad to see you doing this, and indeed everyone should participate in this to create and upload 1000s of videos showing this dirty and unethical, dishonest business practice of Dullta.

Asmara Apr 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ti22 (Post 18373365)

This video shows the issue and has been online almost a year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9Yz8x_UwM

There was a thread about it somewhere here last summer. With no catchy music or narration, it only has 466 views, with at least four being mine. :(

Speed it up with some great music and it just might catch on!

Ti22 Apr 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Asmara (Post 18375904)
This video shows the issue and has been online almost a year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9Yz8x_UwM

There was a thread about it somewhere here last summer. With no catchy music or narration, it only has 466 views, with at least four being mine. :(

Speed it up with some great music and it just might catch on!

That's the only one I've found too. Won't be for long. I don't even care that much if it goes viral, I just wanna be able to prove and describe what's going on.

It really has gone beyond an IT glitch. 'been getting this almost every time I book award flights and even a few revenue tix.

Vuelos Apr 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Probably because you pissed someone off.

Sabai Apr 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by DLroads (Post 18372953)

note: DL insiders, DL execs, SMI, DL's "information technology" staff, Slippery Jeff, DL social ambassadors, Ed Bastian, Richard Anderson, et al, don't give a crap about your problems redeeming SkyMiles.

It's nigh impossible to prove otherwise, but I invite the legions of DL's vociferous
apologists to take a stab at it.