Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye SEA and SUX res...Friday 7/27 visit to Seattle with Discount Travel Codes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RRDD
You got it. I'm a humble traveller with meager needs. I just want to fly between MSP-MDW-DTW-CVG-PIT. Once there, I want to rent a car and drive for two hours into the corn fields to visit customers.

My miles are used for economy tickets so that my wife can join me on these mundane adventures. We are particularily fond of the Hampton Inn in Ottawa, Illinois. They have free cookies every evening.

Help me understand why I should foot the bill for "high maintenance" customers who need award upgrades when flying Air France between Hamburg and Zurich. Hopefully you will have a good answer by the time I finish my latest foray; MSP-CLE on an RJ with no first class.
Congratulations on a successful troll.

(At least, I hope this is a troll.)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:01 pm

As a former res employee I can tell you the reasons that where listed for a "high maintenance" customer account for about 20% of calls I would take on a normal day, one without a major storm in a hub. Most calls recieved are first time flyers or the once a year family trip travelers that want help with finding cost effective ways of getting thier trip, and questions about travel that most seasoned travelers already know ie; travel documents, baggage fees, seating. Medical emergency, bereavement and military travel still require over the phone assistance, along with UMNR, passengers with disibilities (service animals, bulk head seating), becuase of these things I don't think that call centers are going anywhere.

Even in IROPs we have the tools to get a lot of things done that you can't do on social media. During the Christmas blizzard in NYC last year I got authorization to get a gentleman to LHR (not an alt station) and assisted in getting him train schedules to ARN instead of waiting for the next available flight a week later. This type of thing can't be done all the time, but in extreme circumstances, reps can get authorization for out of the ordinary assistance.

Also with the two domestic call centers still opperating until September, I find it hard to believe that calls are being routed to VJE already.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You got it. I'm a humble traveller with meager needs. I just want to fly between MSP-MDW-DTW-CVG-PIT. Once there, I want to rent a car and drive for two hours into the corn fields to visit customers.

My miles are used for economy tickets so that my wife can join me on these mundane adventures. We are particularily fond of the Hampton Inn in Ottawa, Illinois. They have free cookies every evening.

Help me understand why I should foot the bill for "high maintenance" customers who need award upgrades when flying Air France between Hamburg and Zurich. Hopefully you will have a good answer by the time I finish my latest foray; MSP-CLE on an RJ with no first class.
Simple: Because he is driving down your price. Take the "high maintenance" customers out of the equation and Delta's operating costs per customer go up.

It doesn't matter if there is never a high maintenance customer on any of your flights. Those, like myself, who want to make a reservation that is impossible on Delta.com, are contributing to the cost of Delta's headquarters staff, those nice buildings on Virginia Avenue, the lobbyists it must keep on salary in DC, etc.

If we don't chip in for these things, you will have to chip in more. Do you really want to chase us to other airlines?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster
Simple: Because he is driving down your price. Take the "high maintenance" customers out of the equation and Delta's operating costs per customer go up.
That, Dovster, is a really curious view of costs. By your logic, more high-cost customers drives down the average cost.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Indp246
As a former res employee .....
How many of your calls could have easily been taken care of by the customer, had the customer been allowed access to right software? For instance, how many issues did you clear up by reading a screen to a customer that presented three options, and then you typed in the verbal response to the options?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That, Dovster, is a really curious view of costs. By your logic, more high-cost customers drives down the average cost.
Actually, they do -- as long as Delta is making a profit on them.

It unquestionably costs Delta more to fly me TLV-JFK in Biz Elite than it does to fly someone else JFK-ATL in economy. Still, I drive down Delta's average cost per customer.

In fact, every customer, even that guy in Y JFK-ATL drives down the average cost per customer, simply by spreading the fixed costs of running the company over a greater number of customers.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
How many of your calls could have easily been taken care of by the customer, had the customer been allowed access to right software? For instance, how many issues did you clear up by reading a screen to a customer that presented three options, and then you typed in the verbal response to the options?
Not a lot - and as has been stated time and time again, not everyone has online access, or even wishes it.

Not everyone wants to DYI, not can they.

I actually do a LOT 'behind the scenes' as I make a reservation, (I'm a notorious hummer as I work too) - lets people know that there is still an alive person helping them out, and I loathe putting someone on hold unless I have to.

Last edited by NWA/Deltaflygirl; Apr 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm Reason: because I can't type unless it's ABR...
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

I wish it had been that easy. Granted there where a lot of things resolved by explaining where a option was on the website, however with milti airline travel, they have to be done by accessing other airlines inventory, until you can get multiple airlines in sync with thier software that would be impossible. Delta has been improving the ability of thier own website to do that and it isn't perfect, hence the reason the price can change from searching booking... the inventory that was available at the beginning of the search isn't available when the purchanse button is selected.

If they gave access to medical emergency fares and bereavement fares online with out some kind of check and balance every ticket on every flight would be an emergency fare, every ticket would be on a mileage UG waitlist and every person would have a disablity allowing them to assign bulk head seats. Five year olds would be on red eye connecting flights and twelve people would have pets in cabin on any given flight.

Until every person has internet, which they don't, and are as computer savey as you, are reps will be needed, it is surprising the number of calls I got on a regular basis from a medallion member looking for the flight they take all the time but can't find on the website only because they didn't realize there was a lowest fare and all schedules search option.

Even it all the airlines within skyteam or whatever alliance a specific airlines is in all used the same booking software, with the same pricing scale, same inventory management, and they all have the same policies it would be impossible for everything to be done online.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eighty8MPH
Thanks for sharing the article.
I found this quote from the story to be very interesting:

“The city said the airline is responsible for paying out the remainder of the lease and taxes. It will also hold them to paying back the remainder of a forgivable loan they were given as part of an incentive package to come to Sioux City in 2007. Officials are still going over the original contract, but at this point they estimate Delta will pay the city $500,000 dollars a year for the next five and a half years.”

If true, Delta will have to pay roughly $2,750,000.

Another interesting quote from the article:

“There was a lot of speculation the closure had to do with the city's choice of American Airlines over Delta for a federal air service grant. Exactly one week ago, Delta flew out of Sioux City for the last time.”
It has widely been rumored that the call center in SUX has been offered to be taken over by a large company and they plan on opening a call center up in the current facility and taking over the lease. If that is the case, DL would be off the hook and SUX would actually add jobs (lose DL and their well under capacity call center and gain a large corporations call center at a higher capacity than DL was operating). I wouldn't doubt if this actually happens that many of SUX RES employees will be offered jobs with the new tenant.

SEA was a call center that I think many were surprised stayed around this long. It is in a high cost city with a low number of employees. I feel for the people impacted but it appears that DL just went with the call centers that were most under utilized and had the smallest headcounts. Seems like if DL offers to move the folks from SEA to another office that they should be well off since SEA is a high cost city. MSP, SLC, HIB, CVG, DFW, ATL or TPA would all be far cheaper to live in. I wish all the impacted employees the best! Consolidation is never easy
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Seems like if DL offers to move the folks from SEA to another office that they should be well off since SEA is a high cost city. MSP, SLC, HIB, CVG, DFW, ATL or TPA would all be far cheaper to live in.
Better yet–we could move them to an all-expenses-paid farmhouse in Nunavut! Delta wouldn't have to pay them at all because the cost of living is so low.

Seriously, tell most people who live in Seattle that they're being moved to Cincinnati or Tampa, and see how far pumping the cost of living will get you.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
Most of the folks who have posted in this thread a are right - it's about the real estate more than anything else. DL outright owns it's buildings in some res offices, and rent in SEA is pretty ugly, especially for such underused space.

I'm sure DL have some kind of lease agreement 'down there', and I try not to think too much about those particular logistics, but rest assured, Delta is one of the few airlines that has it's call centers primarily in the US, and is a HUGE US employer - I swear, I think 90% of SLC's economy is supported by DL and Alanta will someday be renamed CNNCocacolaDeltaville .

It's not just the 'high maintenance' traveler who requires phone assistance. We have callers who don't even use a computer (a small percentage of my callers don't even have e-mail), I sure don't own a 'smart phone' (mine is a prepaid basic phone that suits me fine) Unaccompanied minors MUST have a phone rep (often correcting the fact that a 9 year old has been booked on the last red-eye flight of the night) some people PREFER to have the 'personal touch' - I can book award travel from two different accounts, a credit card ticket, and an UMR who's actually traveling with one adult one way, and an entirely different adult the other, AND get seat assignments in the bargain, in the space of 5 minutes - something ya can't do from a smart phone!

Flygirl - last week I just signed my contract and I am officially moving to SEA in 3 months, starting work in 5 months (and I am beyond ecstatic!!!!!). I cannot tell you how much I wish I could have you working with me!!!! You are a true gem and I hope DL realizes that. The pride and professionalism you display in everything here is beyond compare. Most people would be so bitter and jaded, but you show such am amazing sense of opportunity and pride in what you do....you're amazing. I wish you all the best!!!!

Last edited by OnTheSlopes; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
(stupid phone...). Sorry to add extra lines. :-(
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by SamOF
Better yet–we could move them to an all-expenses-paid farmhouse in Nunavut! Delta wouldn't have to pay them at all because the cost of living is so low.

Seriously, tell most people who live in Seattle that they're being moved to Cincinnati or Tampa, and see how far pumping the cost of living will get you.
A group of us have talked about forming a little township on one of our SEA folks who moved up to IRC's land - poor gal! We've got it all figured out, right down to who's going to be in charge of the mess hall etc -

But COL is only a very small factor in the idea of uprooting everything and everyone we love. losing our mountains and our ocean...

Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:34 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
A group of us have talked about forming a little township on one of our SEA folks who moved up to IRC's land - poor gal! We've got it all figured out, right down to who's going to be in charge of the mess hall etc -

But COL is only a very small factor in the idea of uprooting everything and everyone we love. losing our mountains and our ocean...

Any chance you could transfer to ticket or gate at SEA? You may not want to but just wonder if that option is available.

And don't forget about SLC - it has a large body of salty water and mountains. A win-win!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Dang... Sorry to hear this. So does this mean no more phantom upgrades (ala NW style) for the KM's on their international (and intersteller) flights or will you just be doing this from another city?

P.S. I'm on flight DL 186 out of HKG April 20 10:30am so let's get that taken care of

Last edited by BogusRogus; Apr 18, 2012 at 1:35 am Reason: Don't know the difference between here and hear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.