Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are Your Favorite and Least Favorite Planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are Your Favorite and Least Favorite Planes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ascii
A large number of the exit rows are bulkheads, too.
Interesting... my UG success rate is now 6/95. That's why I love the exit row bulkheads on the 757s. If you check in right at T-24 you are all but guaranteed to have far more legroom than in any FC seat.

Then again, I'm 6'5" so most exit rows are only marginally survivable if the person in front of me doesn't put their seat back. If I can't get an exit/bulkhead then I'll SDC to get other flights.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ascii
As an FO, I have a slightly different take than most. Lets be honest, I'm mostly in Y, and so I look for the equipment with the most comfortable coach seats. Domestically, I can't beat the M88/90/DC-9. The 2 abreast exit rows are where I live in the sky. I'm going to miss the D95 when it retires, no doubt.

My least favorite (after the CRJ) are actually the 75s. Although the upgrade chance is generally better, they also typically fly on more elite heavy routes which negates the benefit for me (at least where I tend to see them in my travels). So, I'm still stuck in coach... but I find the coach seats on the 75s disappointing. Narrow, tight pitch, and most of the exit rows have the dreaded immovable armrest that reduces seat width. A large number of the exit rows are bulkheads, too.
I wonder how the replacement 737-900ERs will compare in seating to the 757 + 767 it will replace.

All the narrowbody planes generally cram in passengers so I wouldn't expect much.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My favorite domestic is the 75X. Love the AVOD.... when its working. If not, I'll take the Skypesos or worthless vouchers. A close second is the E-175. Least favorite is the CRJ no doubt. Mainline worst is probably the A320. Not just the plane but I have a bad track record for lengthy delays (again, I'll take the Skypesos and worthless vouchers that maybe I can use if I get a good agent)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
For domestic nothing beats the E-175 and CRJ 700/900. The F seats are great!

If I'm traveling solo then the 575 after these. If I'm with a friend/GF then I'll take any plane with two seats across instead of three. I'll even take a CRJ if traveling with a companion instead of having to sit next to a stranger.

For international flights the 777 is my favorite in both coach and BE. Haven't flown all the others enough or at all to make a full comparison.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I've got no recent Intl experience (most recent was in '01 on NW WBC Barcaloungers, so not relevant to today's J at all), so won't comment on that.

Domestic Y:
1) D95 and MD88/90 - I love the 2-seat side, and the low 20% probability of being in a middle seat.
2) E70/E75 - all 2-seat, but small bins
3) CR2/7/9 - pretty much the same as the E's, but with less seat width
4) 767 - normal wretched Y seat, but at least only one middle seat in each row
5) 319/320/73x/75x - wretched seat width and pitch, and 3-across - you will be fighting over an armrest for the entire flight

Domestic F:
1) 319/320/73x/75x - traditional F seat in width and close to traditional in pitch
2) CR7/9/E70/E75 - gotta love the 1-seat side
3) MD88/90 - insufficient width, but okay pitch
4) 767 - truly awful width, but traditional pitch
5) D95 - pseudo-F at its finest - insufficient width and only 34" pitch

And when I criticize F width, it's not as if I'm built like Chris Christie; I fit just fine between the armrests of a normal 17" Y seat - I just like not having to negotiate over space for my beverage , and having a little space between me and the armrests.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
RJ200 - Don't Laugh

1. I have done 46 segments so far this year. Average flight time is less than 60 minutes. Fifty percent of my flights don't even offer beverage service due to the short flight times. Who can't endure a 50 seat plane for that long?

2. The 200's board and deplane faster than any other plane.

3. Over head bins are always available for my small bag, even when I'm the last one to board. GAs have been trained to "pink" tag large bags.

4. FAs are (how can I say this .....) not as "seasoned" as the FAs on the the larger planes.

5. In the event of mechanical issues, there always seems to be another one available. Try finding an extra 757 when you need one.

6. VDBs seem plentiful. I've accepted 4 so far this year, and turned down two others.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
For international biz class: 747-400 UPSTAIRS, is hands down the best experience, on any airline that has J upstairs (AF: what were you thinking??).

[N.B. - I have not yet flown on an A380. ]
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RRDD
4. FAs are (how can I say this .....) not as "seasoned" as the FAs on the the larger planes.
+1

I remember those back when I started my traveling career when I was 21. I was on 90% UA CRJs operated by SkyWest and used to love sitting in 1B or 1C and chatting with the FAs (who were usually younger than me) for most of the flight. Ahh, the good ol' days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.