Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Skymiles Gold - How to actually use card benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Puzzled as a new Delta Skymiles Gold AMEX cardmember about two things relating to benefits I supposedly get by holding the card.

1) How do I get Zone 2 boarding? I got my card AFTER being ticketed for a flight in April. Do I get Zone 2 boarding just by being a card member? If so, how will that happen? Or did I have to purchase the airline tickets using the gold card to be eligible for this benefit?

2) How can I become eligible to use the Delta clubs for $25 per the credit card website? The Delta website does not indicate that I am eligible despite holding the Delta Skymiles Gold card.

I emailed Delta about both and the rep acted like he'd never heard of these benefits.

Very frustrated.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:39 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Moved go Skymiles forum because question requires knowledge of Delta policy and practice.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I can't answer about the Skyclub, but for boarding, your Skymiles number should have the information that you have the Gold Amex card, and that should trigger Zone 2 boarding.

I flew last week on a ticket purchased through the company travel agency, with my Skymiles number in the reservation, and my boarding passes came out for Zone 2.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
When you applied for your card, you gave it your SkyMiles number, right? As long as you log into delta.com and have it recognize that you're a card holder, you should be good. Remember that you don't need to pay for your ticket on your Delta AMEX, you just need to have it linked to your account.

As far as the Sky Clubs go, check with the Sky Club agent at the door. They will be much better informed than a reservation agent.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mi_sat
Puzzled as a new Delta Skymiles Gold AMEX cardmember about two things relating to benefits I supposedly get by holding the card.

1) How do I get Zone 2 boarding?
Great news! You now get zone 1 boarding with your AMEX Delta card.

Unfortunately, it's really zone 3.

1. First class
2. Zone "Sky"
3. Zone 1

Should be automatic if your skymiles number is on both your PNR and your AMEX Delta card.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
As long as you pay with your delta gold Amex card, it only charges you $25. Its only good for you and two guests, though. After that, it goes back to $50/person
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, Marriott Silver Elite
I got this card last month, as I'll be doing a lot of traveling (on my own dime) the next year or so....I have no status right now, so to make things easier on me, I got the card...planning on cancelling it when the annual fee comes due, as I should be FO or GM by then.

Anyway, I too had a flight already booked w/ DL before I got the card (paid for on my Visa debit). Because I linked my DL Gold Amex w/ my Skymiles account #, I did get my Zone 2 (now Zone 1) boarding on that previously booked flight. The "status" happens within a few days of opening your account -- I had my Amex card holder status within a few days of applying for it.

The benefit of buying your tickets on DL.com w/ the card is that you get double Skymiles. You do not have to book it with the card to get the benefits. That's pretty much it.

I have no idea about the Skyclubs, as I really don't have much interest in them (I don't really drink and the snacks aren't worth the $25 to me -- I'm not doing long haul intl flights where I'd want to shower or anything - just short 2.5 hr flights for now).
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendel k
As long as you pay with your delta gold Amex card, it only charges you $25. Its only good for you and two guests, though. After that, it goes back to $50/person
Just to be clear, it's $25 for the card holder, plus $25 per guest for up to two guests.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Nobody has really answered the OP's question.

OP: The system will automatically determine your zone when you check in and the zone will appear on your boarding pass. You will be Zone 1, which is actually the third zone to board. To get this make sure your cardmembership is noted in your online profile. If you gave them your SkyMiles number when you signed up for the card it should be fine.

So long as you present your card at the SC and pay with the card, they will let you into the club for $25 per person for you and up to 2 guests, and after that $50/person. You don't need to do anything extra to be eligible or sign up and it won't be noted anywhere on your online profile.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:47 pm

Make sure that your skymiles account number is listed on your reservation to receive the benefits.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by LBJ:18311888
Just to be clear, it's $25 for the card holder, plus $25 per guest for up to two guests.
Yes, $25 for you, then 2 more guests at $25 each
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Yes, $25 for you, then 2 more guests at $25 each
Thanks, everyone, for the great responses. Very helpful.

Last edited by mi_sat; Apr 1, 2012 at 2:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.